• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Singer misono Apologizes For Confusion of Replacement of Rumi Shishido in Jewelpet

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
"I said [I got the role] due to 'talent' and 'my own strength,' but I was wrong... It's 'thanks to the staff...' I'm so sorry."

I'm confused, is this her being sarcastic?Is she saying that actually it was a dick move by the agency/anime studio? Or is this that weird Japanese thing about celebrities having to be super humble & contrite?
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:
Quote:
"I said [I got the role] due to 'talent' and 'my own strength,' but I was wrong... It's 'thanks to the staff...' I'm so sorry."

I'm confused, is this her being sarcastic?Is she saying that actually it was a dick move by the agency/anime studio? Or is this that weird Japanese thing about celebrities having to be super humble & contrite?

Well it's possible the agency could be behind the sudden change. I mean money talks in Japan from what I heard.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Damn man, I didn't think Jewelpet was serious business. I mean, it's cute, but DAMN. I doubt 11 year olds are sending death threats.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:45 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Damn man, I didn't think Jewelpet was serious business. I mean, it's cute, but DAMN. I doubt 11 year olds are sending death threats.

I expect it's males aged between 18-49, & not the ones with kids.
mgosdin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Oh wonderful, a questionable move that taints a VA's work. Somewhere there's a "committee" that are all looking at each other sheepishly.

Mark Gosdin
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:

It sounds like she's saying she got the role because of her status/agency buying it for her. It's pretty standard in showbiz, though few people admit to it and own to it.

DmonHiro wrote:

Voice acting is a pretty serious business in Japan, even if it's a kids show. I was disappointed with Luna's voice change, but not to this extent. Jewelpet had some weird restructuring recently I'm not too sure about. Ayaka Saito who voices Ruby mentioned she was sad to see Garnet (Aya Hirano) and Sapphire (Nozomi Sasaki) not present along side her in Jewelpet Magical Change. It's definitely odd to not see Garnet and Sapphire in Magical Change considering they're two parts of three-part Jewelpet mascots. I guess there was some problems or disputes behind the scenes between the actresses or agencies and why Ruby is the only one of the main trio in Magical Change.
Andrew Cunningham

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:11 pm Reply with quote
The quotes play a little differently in translation.
I checked the Japanese, and the original blog post reads like "Thanks to the staff" is what she should have said.
Gasero

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:14 pm Reply with quote
It's was arrogant for her to say that she attained the role without the help of anyone else. She clearly works through an agency so she's had help getting to where she is.

It's disappointing to hear that the previous actor was replaced without notice.
Saturn

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:14 pm Reply with quote
good job internet, always willing to issue death threats over unimportant bs.
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Gasero wrote:
It's was arrogant for her to say that she attained the role without the help of anyone else. She clearly works through an agency so she's had help getting to where she is.

If this were a western thing then the statement she made would have been shown as a sign of strength and self confidence. In Japan it's arrogant to say you're able to accomplish something on your own. In the west agencies work in the shadows and try to give the allusion that the talents work on their own. In Japan the agencies have cute names and never miss a chance to claim ownership over their talents.

I'm guessing her agency took exception to her claims and forced her to show some humility.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Leave it to Otaku to send death threats to this poor lady, it wasn't even her fault, the tyrants at the studio or the agency are at fault, if you want to send hate, send it to them not misono.
Blue21

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Wow, one hears so little about Jewelpet that I didn't think it had a big enough fandom to result in death threats when something goes awry.
Guile

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Blue21 wrote:
Wow, one hears so little about Jewelpet that I didn't think it had a big enough fandom to result in death threats when something goes awry.

Perhaps in the west, but in Japan it's a huge girls franchise.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:25 pm Reply with quote
gloverrandal wrote:
Lemonchest wrote:

It sounds like she's saying she got the role because of her status/agency buying it for her. It's pretty standard in showbiz, though few people admit to it and own to it.

Many fans don't realize that seiyuu roles involve business politics too, not always just talent or creator's decisions.

gloverrandal wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:

Voice acting is a pretty serious business in Japan, even if it's a kids show.

But it's the adults --being the supposedly mature ones-- who should realize when to step back and not co-opt it from the kids. Reminds us of those out-of-control parents taking their youths sports way too seriously. (Not to say all youths sports aren't serious business --some of it definitely are, like the Little League World Series-- but the adults should know better when to step back and not co-opt the game from the kids - it's still their game, just like it's still their show.)

Emerje wrote:

In Japan the agencies have cute names and never miss a chance to claim ownership over their talents.

In Japan, the agencies own you! Laughing
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:36 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

Many fans don't realize that seiyuu roles involve business politics too, not always just talent or creator's decisions.

Well I'm glad you brought it up. I don't want to go off topic (and to mods: please don't edit or delete my comment, I think I may see some connection in this one) I remember reading about this. Enurtsol, I assume you know about Japan's money politic corruption (or money talk as I called it). This has become more frequent with recent scandals coming out of Japan's political circle, it involve private firms and conglomerates/zaibatsu. I'm afraid the anime/manga industry could be involved (or knee deep) with these type of corruption the more I did research on this:

1988 New York Times article

2001 JPRI article

2003 article from Asia Times

2009 East Asia forum article

Enurtsol, do you think the anime industry could be involved in these "money politics" (and probably backing these corruption) like those articles I linked described?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2