• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What Are You Considering Buying?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:06 am Reply with quote
Can someone tell me if Best Student Council is worth owning? I've read some reviews and they've not really given me any indication about if I should buy it or not. It appears to be one of those "you either love it or hate it" type shows Confused
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:20 am Reply with quote
Ortensia1980 wrote:
Can someone tell me if Best Student Council is worth owning? I've read some reviews and they've not really given me any indication about if I should buy it or not. It appears to be one of those "you either love it or hate it" type shows Confused

Absolutely love it myself; Animation and production design are both below average, comedy and writing are surprisingly amazing. Or not as this is one of those series I watched because I was searching through writer Yosuke "Excel Saga" Kuroda's credits and his trademarks of parody and literal word phrasing/repetition are sprinkled throughout the series. Not to forget his ability to pull a story out of nowhere or a plot point out of a joke.

Easy way to tell if this series is for you: Track down the first episode and watch it. If you wonder what that was but thought it was funny then you're part of its audience. If you think it's an ugly looking stupid show, and I can easily see it myself, then no.

This is my favorite show for watching when I'm tired as every DVD has a favorite episode on it, like the swimming episode, the Shaolin Soccer parody, the Yugioh parody, the "piyapiya" incident, the idol/[spoiler] show, the puppet club mystery, the cooking duel, the one where we meet Cindy's mother, the pilot, the second one with youth cannon, the...

Yeah, it's most of them. Oh man, I forgot Minamo and her play...
All the shows centering around Minamo are golden from her first episode introduction on.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:30 am Reply with quote
Actually, I was somewhat down the middle on the show. Didn't love it, didn't hate it, it was just kind of there. I had purchased the single volumes dirt cheap from TRSI (the ones that came with stickers). After I finished watching, I figured I'd never rewatch (which tells you something, I guess) and so I stupidly sold the singles not realizing about the whole OOP thing and how titles can be sold at a premium. I actually don't do that, I just like owning shows that I know I *could* sell for a pretty penny if I had to.
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:08 am Reply with quote
I'll do that, Animegomaniac! I've since found some more reviews that are more favourable so I might end up blind buying it after all because of it's OOP status.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:57 am Reply with quote
I've watched Best Student Council 2 or 3 times over the decade since it was released. Certainly not a bad show, but it is a show I haven't bothered rebuying after losing my first copy.

After a couple months of having Paranoia Agent as a saved EBay search I think I'm going to have to give up rebuying that one for now. I certainly want to get it again but I'm just not willing to pay these prices for it. I guess, in it's way, considering the original price of purchase, its quality and rarity, $100+ is really a fair price. But every time I see those prices (and there are "Buy it Now" prices of $200-$450 for the box set) I keep saying "It WILL be re-released... some day" along with the other Kon properties. I just know that if I do get "lucky" and am able to win a contest at $125 or so for it I will be kicking myself when a new BD set comes out for half of that.

Still waiting on a decent price for Dual! Parallel Trouble Adventures though. Through negligence I missed bidding on auctions earlier this year that went for $20 and now every one I see is going for $50+... but the likelihood of that being re-released is probably much lower, so I'll probably get it for that sort of price eventually.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:09 pm Reply with quote
SM, if you ever get an all-region player, I think there is a decently priced R2 Paranoia Agent release and maybe even an R4.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
Still waiting on a decent price for Dual! Parallel Trouble Adventures though. Through negligence I missed bidding on auctions earlier this year that went for $20 and now every one I see is going for $50+... but the likelihood of that being re-released is probably much lower, so I'll probably get it for that sort of price eventually.

A couple E-Bay listings are up for less than $50 presently, an auction at $31 as of the time I post this and an auction/ fixed price listing that allows you to either bid at $25 or buy the set right away for $45. If you want the series that badly, I'd hop on these now while you can as much of what I'm finding online are only for individual volumes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:38 pm Reply with quote
I was out today and missed the end of the $31 sale. I was figuring on a last minute bidding war that apparently didn't happen.

I had missed the $25/45 set because it's slightly mis-titled. My Search is for "Dual Parallel Trouble"[Adventure] but that one is "Parallel Dual Trouble Adventure" - I didn't know the search was that precise that it wouldn't find transposed words.

Maybe I'll make a bid on it at $25. Other possible buyers might be missing it too.

I can be somewhat patient on it. It doesn't come up for auction weekly but it does get listed semi-frequently. I'll get it eventually.
Wooga

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:17 pm Reply with quote
I really,really, want to buy the final boxes I am missing to complete my collection of Urusei Yatsura. Boxes 9, 10, and the OVA. if anyone knows where I can get them please let me know. It has been years and I can never seem to find them, so I thought I'd just ask here. I am willing to pay a lot haha, just not over 300 dollars
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:17 pm Reply with quote
And here I am again...

The guy that I bought Best Student Council from has some other OOP stuff for sale, so which of the following should definitely be part of my collection:

- Kashimashi - Girl Meets Girl
- Mars Daybreak
- Rocket Girls
- Saber Marionette J
- Negima!
- Glass Fleet
- Mythical Detective Loki Ragnarok
- To Heart
st_owly

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:21 pm Reply with quote
I don't know what your feelings on yuri are, but if you like it, I'd recommend snagging Kashimashi. It's a sweet little show with a bit of a sci-fi twist.
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:04 pm Reply with quote
I will second the recommendation for Kashimashi; I thought it was a very good show spoiler[except for the OVA episode which I thought was totally unnecessary].

I would also say that if Saber Marionette J is cheap it might be worth it. It's been a long time since I watched it but I remember that, while it seems to wander around a while at first, it got a lot better toward the end. I do not recommend the sequels SM: J Again or SM: J to X; I hated the latter so much it almost made me give up on anime.

I found The Mars Daybreak to be a big disappointment. It starts out well enough but then devolves into mediocrity and filler as it limps along to a lame ending.

I'm assuming Negima! is the first season which I have seen and found to be very meh. I have not seen the second season yet (the only difference in the title is punctuation), but there seems to be a consensus that it is more well-liked as it is more faithful to the manga.

I have not seen any of the others on the list.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:36 pm Reply with quote
A bit of a correcton:

Negima! is the first try. It is fairly close to the manga for the first 2/3 or so but has an anime only ending. Since it involved a major character death it got a lot of flack. It does have a really good opening song.

Negima!? is a second try, not a second season. It has the same basic setup of the manga but is completely its own story line. It actually has its own manga series. Negima!? Neo.

The Negima!? Spring & Summer Specials are part of the second try and like that it is infested with Chupacabras.

There are some OAVs based on the long final (Magic World) arc but they have not been licensed.
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:42 pm Reply with quote
For some reason I had the impression the situation with the two was similar to what happened with Fullmetal Alchemist and Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood where the second series was made because fans of the manga complained that the first series departed from the manga storyline (because they got ahead of the manga, I believe). I probably should have said "second series" instead of "second season". The main point was that because of the similarity in title (the second series just adds a ?) I wanted to make sure Ortensia1980 new which one I was referring to as I have only watched one (though I own both; FMA is the same, I've seen the first series but not the second, which is also on my unwatched pile).
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:35 am Reply with quote
Kashimashi is the one that I'm most interested in so I'll definitely be buying that one (already emailed him about that one actually).

The price for Saber Marionette J is $18, no idea if that's a reasonable price. And I won't bother with Negima! then.
But for some reason I've always been interested in Mars Daybreak and Glass Fleet, no idea why though!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 119 of 132