• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Thriller anime recommendations.

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:33 am Reply with quote
I would recommend Petite Cossette. Some may disagree on my choice here but ultimately I think "Thriller" is the category, beyond Drama maybe, that this title falls into. The OVA is a visual experience by itself. From start to finish the show visually is just stunning and full of lush and vivid imagery. SO if nothing else you should walk away from it going "that as sure purty" heh. Ultimately the story is about love and betrayal. The main character finds a spiffy looking bottle at the antique shop he works at and inside it turns out is the spirit of Cossette. Cossette's spirit is trapped in the bottle due to her own murder at the hands of her lover centuries ago. The story revolves around the main character Eiri falling in love with Cossette and how she demands he basically prove his love for her. I don't want to give too much more away then that especially about how Eiri has to be the one to set her free due to certain circumstances. The show is not exactly one I would watch multiple times myself but it is a good solid show in my opinion and definitely worth a viewing. Especially if you're into stories about love and betrayal that could come right out of a Shakespeare play.
Prede

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:58 am Reply with quote
FLMikeATT wrote:
Higurashi and its successor(?) Umineko no Naku Koro Ni are probably the best examples of the genre, in my opinion.

Hmm...would Mnemosyne count?

Not sure about Mnemosyne since I have not seen it. But When They Cry (Higurashi) is easily one of the best thrillers out there (at least the first season, only one I saw). It's incredbly suspenseful, riviting, and engaging. It's also hella scary! Very spooky. It is a very strong thriller/mystery with a horror backdrop. I highly recommend it as well. It does take it's time to build up the suspense sometimes though, especially after each arc is over, with all the slice of life scenes, (but it's worth it because once the suspense comes your on the edge of your seat!!), but it uses this to it's advantage too, as your never sure when something will pop up that's very important to the overall plot/mystery of it all. There's a lot of build up, and tension that's handled very well. Also there's more then enough twists for anyone. Now someone has to license the second season so I can find out all the answers...
Ignatz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:57 am Reply with quote
Parasyte was definitely one of the most thrilling anime I've seen in quite a while. The main character and his friends are constantly at risk of getting killed by a species that can take over human bodies and assume anyone's appearance. While it wasn't as thematically rich as I expected at first, it was still very exciting.
tayorous

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:31 pm Reply with quote
I'm not too sure I know of any, but the one that I have seen that is kind of a thriller.

Another - More of a supernatural horror, but still good. Basically there is a dead person in the class, causing a curse that kills the students, and they have to try and stop the curse.
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:19 am Reply with quote
A thriller thread?, good stuff. Thrillers are one of my favorite genres, I especially like ones that combine mystery and action. I'll repost later on once I come up with some blurbs for the shows on my list. For now, I'll second Ergo Proxy and Death Note. I'm not too sure about Jin-Roh, it might be more art-house and too slow, if you're looking for suspense with twists and turns. Ergo Proxy is good, though because the show can get cryptic it might be hard to tell what's going on. Otherwise, Death Note is a great example of a thriller. Great tension, twisty plot, and all the mind games between the characters.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:04 pm Reply with quote
CoreSignal wrote:
A thriller thread?, good stuff. [...]

There are other recommendation threads as well. Check out -- in its entirety -- this posting.
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:47 pm Reply with quote
nobahn wrote:
There are other recommendation threads as well. Check out -- in its entirety -- this posting.

It can be a little tricky to keep track of all the threads, so this is great. Thanks.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:59 pm Reply with quote
CoreSignal--
Oh, you're very welcome! Anime smile Smile Very Happy
Night fox

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:23 pm Reply with quote
I guess I might as well give my two cents on the subject. The titles I've listed below are three of the best anime series I've seen.

Claymore: Granted, there's a lot of two-hander hacking and slashing action in this fantasy anime, but it also has a psychological aspect, and much of the suspense comes from the main character's struggle against hopeless odds. Many characters also face difficult moral decisions, like how to deal with the rule of "non-interference", and the consequences of breaking it, or going beyond the "point of no return" etc. (You have to see it to understand the concepts)

From the New World: This is a thriller/mystery which is set in a post-apocalyptic future, where humans have developed telekinetic powers and live in small, isolated, villages. They coexist with tribes of intelligent creatures known as Monster Rats, or Queerats. The main characters consist of a group of five children who uncover part of a well hidden history of mankind, and discover that the Queerats are much more complex than they had expected. There's a lot of suspense throughout this series, since the characters rarely know who they should trust, or who might stab them in the back.

Parasyte -the maxim-: In the beginning of this series the protagonist manages to fend off an attack by an alien lifeform, which had attempted to consume his brain in order to take control of the body. The protagonist, however, loses his right hand in the process. Since the alien no longer can achieve its original objective, and is unable to sustain itself without a host, it attaches itself to the protagonist in the form of the missing hand. This unlikely duo must now learn to coexist, in spite of having very different values and personalities. To complicate things further, it soon becomes clear that there are other aliens out roaming the city in search of humans to prey on.
Beobachter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:08 pm Reply with quote
^I like Claymore (the manga, at least). It has a rare ruthless streak rarely seen in combat series and you genuinely fear for the characters when they're fighting. Got weaker after timeskip, though.

Gonna toss out my own recommendation:

Kaiji
: a deadbeat loser got roped into a series of psychological games by a shady corporation. Could be a bit over the top, especially in the beginning, but it eventually grows into an extremely tense, edge-of-your-seat, suspense with increasingly high stakes, a protagonist you desperately want to succeed, and piercing social commentary. Also, the narrator is probably the most enthusiastic narrator you could ever find in any media.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2