• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Sound! Euphonium

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Second Fire Shadow

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Looks like Kyoto Animation has another winner.
johnmp

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:30 pm Reply with quote
i haven't seen it but i want to see it.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Kumiko definitely has potential, and I can't wait to see how she will overcome those obstacles. I hope this show becomes a solid hit especially for the otaku.
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:34 pm Reply with quote
I like it so far although I think the pacing is somewhat slow right now. Expecting it to develop a bit more especially with the character relationships. As expected from Kyoto Animation though, the animation quality is solid and the music itself is delicate with a charming atmosphere so far. Still, I'm really curious to see more of Kumiko's past though especially with Kousaka.

Then, there's also her other two friends that I'm curious to know about.

Asuka is my favorite so far though. She just brings so much energy and humor into this series! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:35 pm Reply with quote
I think Nick does an excellent job expressing what is so great about this anime. I also agree that Kumiko feels like a very real character. I hope the series is able to keep up with this high quality throughout its run.

As of today, Sound! Euphonium is my favorite anime from Spring.
TRNielson

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Asuka is my favorite so far though. She just brings so much energy and humor into this series! Very Happy

The fake hand from the first episode probably made me wake my neighbors up. Such a cliche prank but it worked perfectly.
Via_01

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:40 pm Reply with quote
KyoAni is delivering quite well with this show. As Nick said, it looks beautiful, it's masterfully directed, and while the story moves pretty slowly, the themes are there, dialogue is well placed, and so it seems to be heading into a nice direction.

The nostalgia points work for me, as I also used to be on a school band as a flute player. While we only get a glimpse of the band's flute players, it was still enough to make me happy.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:48 pm Reply with quote
I just have to say thank GOD KyoAni have finally returned to form. I thought for sure Chuunibyou, KnK and Tamako Market would be the death of them (Although not from a financial perspective mind you).

The idea of another recap movie doesn't excite me, but this and Tamako Love Story (Which literally fixed every single problem I had with the series) give me hope that they can some day return to the roll they were on from 2010-12.
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:38 pm Reply with quote
I really came to like Asuka in this episode. Her over-the-top enthusiasm for her instrument, section, and playing instruments is sooo like me. I was sad that her speech on the history of the euphonium got cut off. I don't know if the information she was saying was actually real, but I would be interested to hear it if it was. I know the history of woodwinds, but not so much brass...
Plasmaeclipse

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:55 pm Reply with quote
At first I was one (of likely many) people who thought this show was just gonna be k-on season 3. I was gonna pass it up entirely till I saw the preview guides on it. I'm glad I'm sticking around for it. The characters so far are all fairly distinct and contrasting, and it seems to be setting very different goals and levels of knowledge right away. There's gonna be a lot of different ways for everyone to bounce off each other and I'm looking forward to seeing how the different groups/people will interact.

I really Kumiko so far, I can relate to her rather sullen attitude and subtle sense of defeatism, and how she just sort of gets railroaded into things by circumstance.
CapNatsukiSan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Rivals/BETTER THAN Fate/Zero, Nagi no Asukara and Hyouka...In the visual department, at least...and perhaps even music and story as we get to see them perform or practice. This show is 20% K-On! and 80% Hyouka in terms of its scenic beauty and the way they animate water and rain drops (dat umbrella in the OP...) in such amazing fashion.

What I find uniquely stunning in this PARTICULAR show, is how they position the 'camera' and the artificial lighting, focus and lens flares. Some of my favourite shots includes that landscape of the town/city with sunlight peeking through the clouds during the OP, and when Kumiko was riding on a train in episode 2 and the light flashes through the windows, then theres that river-side talk towards the end of episode 2 with the bokeh... I really appreciate those simple creative decisions while watching shows, and I don't really see these apply often (if at all before this) in anime...perhaps its the learning photographer in me that's flipping with excitement over this...

AND THE WAY they designed and incorporated the instruments into the frames are also stunning...I wonder how they managed to achieve the look of that golden brass shine, while still animating it, as you can see time and time again during the OP...perhaps its the orchestral nut in me that's flipping with excitement over this...

My god...this show is MADE for me...

Last edited by CapNatsukiSan on Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:18 pm Reply with quote
brightchen97--
Welcome to ANN.
CapNatsukiSan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Wow...pretty quick for a welcome...but thanks!
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:22 pm Reply with quote
^
You're welcome. Anime smile Smile Very Happy
7jaws7

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:38 pm Reply with quote
So far, so good.

Really liked how the 2nd episode dug into the "competitive vs. fun" can of worms that Kumiko didn't want to open. She's a relatable character in that she's cautious, but also has plenty to learn.

Can't wait for more Kousaka, sounds like she'll be my favorite.

Here's hoping there will be an OST that comes with the anime Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 15