• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Kyōkai no Rinne

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:00 pm Reply with quote
I kinda like this show tbh. It has a charm and decent chemistry between the main leads so far. There's not much to go with the story as the episodes seems like a 'monster of the week' type of thing but it can quickly build up as the series goes.

Oh and that OP theme song is nice.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:03 pm Reply with quote
I really like the premise and am hugely biased in favour of the artstyle.

This looks more like it's building towards the item-of-the-day/wacky character-of-the-day that UY and Ranma had rather than attempting to tell an actual story like Inuyasha, and that's fine as long as the characters are interesting. But so far it seems like Sakura is as bland as her name.
tbrown3514

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:33 pm Reply with quote
I am enjoying this series, but I must admit I'm waiting on it to get a bit more interesting.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

This looks more like it's building towards the item-of-the-day/wacky character-of-the-day that UY and Ranma had rather than attempting to tell an actual story like Inuyasha, and that's fine as long as the characters are interesting. But so far it seems like Sakura is as bland as her name.

We're mostly on the same page regarding this series. Although I didn't dislike Inuyasha by any means, I much prefer Takahashi's formulaic, sitcom-y works to her heavily serialized ones.
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Somer-_- wrote:

And that is EXACTLY what the series is based around. I've read the manga up to volume 15 as of now and there hasn't been any sort of an overarching plot. It's just a simple wacky episodic comedy show and it's not trying to be anything else, which is why I love the series (and I'm probably a bit Rumiko biased).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
blessed

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Art looks more Ranma than Inuyasha. Female lead is Kagome reincarnated. Male lead is Yato-esque with a cheap spirit business. It's nice how it's aware of its slow paced yet consistent dry humor. Add a pinch of romance. Most characters never seem to have urgency or concern and supposedly many characters are high af given the big buggy eyes.. And I like it!
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Am the only one who thinks Takahashi's creations look better in anime form? She's one of my favorite storytellers - mangaka or otherwise - but I've honestly never liked the look of her manga.
Jex2193

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:04 pm Reply with quote
I really, really love the art style! I've been reading the manga for about a year and a half now and I'm about caught up, and I love it, even with a lack of plot.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Everyone, including Sakura, keeps saying that Rokudo is stingy, but to me he's just living on the edge of being destitute. It apparently costs him in magical items every time he helps out a spirit or a person, and as far as I can see it's not a job that pays the rent. If he had had any money on him, he wouldn't have asked Sakura for change to buy the items he needed on the spot. And he's not conning the students into giving him offerings, he's getting them to feed him so he can use what little money he has to actually help them.

To me, stingy is when you have money but refuse to spend a cent more than you absolutely must. I think it's unfair to label Rokudo as stingy since he doesn't have any money to begin with. He's frugal. Smile

As far as the series, well, so far it's harmless. It's pretty bland, but unless it takes a downward turn into outright boring, I'll likely keep watching it.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:33 pm Reply with quote
^I agree with this and maybe one of the reasons that I didn't really like this series is that people (mainly Sakura) are constantly taking Rokudo's food even though he's earning it fair and square. I have a natural gut reaction that makes me angry with people who take other people's food, especially if said people actually need the food or have earned it with difficulty. This is played as comedy a lot of times, but I don't find it funny that someone is starving and has their food stolen because another character is a dick.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:55 pm Reply with quote
This show will probably never be half as big as Takahashi's previous hits, but it's still quality anime comfort food for me. I can see myself watching many seasons of this and never getting sick of it.
kgw

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Actually, one might say that the food is not actually "his", since:
1) the weatherbox isn't Rokudo's to use as he pleases, but the school's.
2) spoiler[He got Ep. #2 food thanks his grandmom threat/scare, so you might say the food is hers.]
3) he's fooling his schoolmates to give him food.

In any case, Rumiko Takahashi characters' usually don't lost their running jokes, so I am afraid Rokudo will be a cheapsake with food problems for a loong time.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:40 pm Reply with quote
^But he's not fooling anyone, he's not taking it for free. spread the rumor "make an offering in the weatherbox and your wish will come true" and so far he's fulfilled all the wishes we saw him receive. It's not like he's asking for super expensive food or a million yens or smth, those snacks he gets are worth around 2 bucks
catandmouse

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:21 pm Reply with quote
I've read the manga, and I actually like Sakura!
Yeah she's very blase about things, but that's why I like her! I hated Kagome and didn't really care for Akane, I'm not really a big fan of tsundere characters, so Sakura, for me, is awesome.

And yeah, the series is episodic, and I wish it wasn't as much, but to be honest, I think that's her strong point. I thought Inuyasha went on for too long and became redundant very fast.

I will give the anime a try
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:32 am Reply with quote
hahaha. That 2nd ep.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5