• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Anime About the Performing Arts

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ziko577

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:06 am Reply with quote
BTW, Yosokoi is spelled slightly wrong. It's Yosakoi.
Chappers

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:36 am Reply with quote
Since this seems like a good time to ask, and the article didn't answer my wonderings, have there ever been any anime in which opera plays a part (pun not intended)?

One feels the two would actually go together rather well, considering that both thrive on particularly dramatic storytelling, well-worn tropes, and so on (and the interest being as much in the execution of the idea as the quality of the idea in the first place). I just don't think I've ever seen, or heard of, something that came anywhere near opera, whereas for ballet, for example, Princess Tutu is utterly immersed in it.
Touma

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:42 am Reply with quote
Thank you for the list.

I have no argument with the list, but I still need to mention K-On! because it is one of my favorite shows.

I am not very familiar with most of the options in the new poll because I do not watch those shows, but I chose the ability to teleport because it would be so convenient.
I could save a lot of time and money by going instantly from my recliner at home to my office chair at work.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Chappers wrote:
Since this seems like a good time to ask, and the article didn't answer my wonderings, have there ever been any anime in which opera plays a part (pun not intended)?

FTM, IS opera that strong in Japan, where they already have older "traditional" theater formats with language barriers?
(Unlike ballet, which translates pretty much anywhere.)

And darn, they should have saved Kaleido Star for this week's list. Sad
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Yay for Hanayamata being mentioned. Such a sweet series. I hadn't even heard of yosakoi until I watched it, and I just wish the animation budget had been higher so we could've seen the dance in all its glory.

B.T.W., Joshiraku also had rakugo. But of course no-one remembers that show because it was never licensed.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Are only TV shows and movies can be nominated, or OVAs as well?
If so, I would like to commend Mitsuwano (about 3 Maiko-in-training girls learning how to perform the traditional Kyōto dance, called odori) and Aki no Kanade (taiko drumming)

About the Survey:

In the end I chose Accelerator's ability, but I was unsure between that and the Mystic Eyes of Death Perception (both Kara no Kyōkai's Ryōgi Shiki and Tsukihime's Tōno Shiki possess this ability; grants its user the ability to see the "Life Line" of anything - buildings, cars, people, poisoned parts - and cut them).
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Ziko577 wrote:
BTW, Yosokoi is spelled slightly wrong. It's Yosakoi.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yosakoi

In the article it's spelled 'yosakoi'. I double-checked this.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:30 pm Reply with quote
The poll in this article reads like if you would have read a Japanese poll for that season almost in reverse order, it's really quite uncanny just how large the split between Japanese and Western tastes have been in the same medium lately. I feel like that somehow has to stop in order for anime to truly grow internationally.

I'd say I was surprised at just how much Death Parade dominated if it really didn't feel like the only truly worthwhile show in the Winter season aside from the Jojo followup (at least for me) and even then it was only like a 3.5/5 star caliber show for me. I feel like I say this every winter season but damn was it sparse on the watchable shows front, especially compared to Spring.
notrogersmith

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, the new poll is interesting in that it asks what would be my special move if I were an anime character, rather than the special move that I'd like to have. While I'd like to have a cool move like alchemy, the painful truth is that my "special move" would probably be this secret Joestar technique: running away. Very Happy
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:01 pm Reply with quote
I liked Hanayamata, it has some of the best characters of all of the Manga Time Kirara series I've read or watched, however when the anime was announced while I knew a little bit about Yosakoi, but I didn't know how young the dance was, 60 years is not long for a dance when most are well into the hundreds and thousands of years old. The issue with the series is the drama, while decent, it's not as fitting for a Manga Time Kirara slice of life anime/manga.
Cielito_Lindo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:10 pm Reply with quote
What about Nodame Cantabile??? Perhaps I'm too old...
And Joshiraku is about Rakugo girls.
Hakajin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:29 pm Reply with quote
I would've gone with "Nodame" over "Your Lie." I liked the latter ok, but... I thought Nodame dealt with music a lot better. First and most importantly, it struck a balance between the importance of expressing yourself and expressing the composer, while "Your Lie" was all about the former. It seems to me like playing a piece of classical music is like a conversation. Music is all about communication, between the performer and the audience, but also between the performer and the composer. You're trying to understand what that person was feeling when they wrote the piece, but it's still your experience. Since you're two different people with two different minds, it's never going to be exactly the same. If all you want to do is express yourself, why bother with playing a classical piece at all? Why not just write your own music? I liked how the characters talked about the composer's lives in the series, and about how to accompany someone in a way that complements them instead of focusing on yourself...

And I also thought the problems faced by the musicians were more realistic and typical. Sure, they were older, so they were more worried about their careers, but... There was still a lot of focus on how abuse and too much pressure can ruin music for someone. It was just more subtle.

Yeah, "Your Lie" was definitely good, but while the music was strong, it felt like it was about teen drama rather than music. Like, I felt like I was learning a lot of interesting things from "Nodame," and I didn't get that from "Your Lie." Honestly, I was much more engaged by the characters and relationships in "Nodame," too; they and their relationships and struggles felt more real to me because they weren't so... overwrought, maybe? I don't know, they felt real to me in a way "Your Lie"'s characters didn't. Anyway.
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:29 pm Reply with quote
notrogersmith wrote:
Hmm, the new poll is interesting in that it asks what would be my special move if I were an anime character, rather than the special move that I'd like to have. While I'd like to have a cool move like alchemy, the painful truth is that my "special move" would probably be this secret Joestar technique: running away. Very Happy

Aw, you beat me to it. Tho' my choice was going to be Ranma's version, the Saotome Secret Attack - Run Think Attack. Smile
varmintx

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Cielito_Lindo wrote:
What about Nodame Cantabile??? Perhaps I'm too old...
That was the first one I thought of as well. The whole list could have been filled with shows involving music, so I understand the rationale for keeping it, K-ON, Kids on the Slope, BECK, etc. off.
trunkschan90

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:50 pm Reply with quote
I still keep wishing the second season of Glass Mask wold get released on DVD Crying or Very sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3