• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tales Of The Industry - The Mecha Saw Combat

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:39 pm Reply with quote
This is, flat out, the greatest comment about a giant display piece EVER
Quote:
The onslaught of wind at 75 miles per hour and its effect on a ROBOT MADE FOR SOARING THROUGH THE WIND simply hadn't occurred to us.

That seems like a story that HAS TO end with "later my boss gave me heck about why it wasn't lashed down more tightly because obviously it was gonna fly out, they fly all over in the show, don't you WATCH the show?" Laughing
fullmetalgirl21

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:09 pm Reply with quote
I'm just amazed no one on the Japanese side noticed. I would've been terrified of the backlash in such a situation.
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:09 pm Reply with quote
mgosdin wrote:
Oh, yeah, I've seen a LOT of things dropped in the middle of freeways. Coming up on a Washing Machine abruptly at 65 MPH will take years off your life, having a portable Oil Well loose it's transport's transmission in front of you at a similar speed will do it too.

I had a similar experience with a mattress coming lose from a guy's flatbed on the main freeway about forty feet ahead of me. In a span of four seconds, I entered a "black zone" and I'm not really sure how I avoided it, but right before I had an intense and horrible sensation as it was bouncing toward me. When I drive my bike now or anything else, it really is hard to describe how important the trust I put in my machine and my connection to its operation. I guess that is a weird feeling to describe, and I still don't fully understand it, but without it I might not have survived to talk about it today. For four seconds, my cognitive brain went on hiatus, but I was able to maneuver out of danger in a Final Destination scenario because the machine became me.

And I do feel a bit older because/after it, I guess.

Last edited by Usagi-kun on Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
configspace

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Wow, crazy story. At least CHP didn't give them a hard time.

It's why I'm always leery about getting behind trucks with lots of stuff tied down above the tailgate or with open tailgate, especially the flatbed trucks with pipes at windshield level.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:41 pm Reply with quote
As soon as I got to the part about loading the Nirvash on a truck, i dreaded where the story was going. Having grown up on a farm and moved multiple times, I can verify how nerve-racking it can be to travel with sizable cargo, even when things do go right.

fullmetalgirl21 wrote:
I'm just amazed no one on the Japanese side noticed. I would've been terrified of the backlash in such a situation.

Or they were willing to accept a little damage as part of the risk of loaning it out. I really expected the story to end with them being asked to pay for the full cost of the statue.
Enner

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Heck of a story. Good to know that no one got hurt.

7jaws7 wrote:
I hope that Haruhi story comes next :D

Got to save something for the season finale.
Waffitti

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:42 pm Reply with quote
fullmetalgirl21 wrote:

Imagine if somebody from the Japanese parent company read this, would they try to punish the president of the American branch?
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Waffitti wrote:
fullmetalgirl21 wrote:

Imagine if somebody from the Japanese parent company read this, would they try to punish the president of the American branch?

The company doesn't exist anymore.
fathergoat

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Things going horribly wrong make the best stories. Nobody wants to read about how everything went smoothly. This story however was awesome.
Waffitti

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Waffitti wrote:
fullmetalgirl21 wrote:

The company doesn't exist anymore.

Yes, but the president does work on a different branch of the parent company, so if somebody from Japan finds this and the parent company still cares a lot about this particular series, I imagined that they could enforce consequences to the guy (admittedly I don't know how internal politics work there).
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Waffitti wrote:
(admittedly I don't know how internal politics work there).

Then please don't engage in uninformed baseless speculation about it.
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:45 pm Reply with quote
At one point I did regularly mess with stuff(mostly scrap) into pickups; good, strong tie-downs are definitely a must(we mostly used the ratcheting kind). Last thing you want to happen is for those hot water heaters stacked three high to come loose all over the road.

---

So far the worst random crap in the road I've dealt with had been a ladder. A bent-up, sun-glaring-off-it ladder. It was already there by the time I got there, though, so I managed to change lanes without too much trouble; the biggest sudden surprise was when somebody decided to come to a grinding stop in the left lane of a mostly empty freeway because he missed his exit, which is a helluva way to learn that the salesman lied when you asked if the car had antilock brakes(he ended up cutting straight across three lanes to get to the exit). At least it's still able to go from eighty to zero in a single heart attack.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Is it wrong to be concerned about a crime being committed here?

No one got hurt... that you know of.

Laws were broken, even if enforcement took no notice.

Crap blowing out of vehicles is a pet peeve of mine, it is solidly in the crazy dangerous category most people ignore.
doomydoomdoom

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:30 pm Reply with quote
What, by the way, was so disastrous about the Haruhi concert? I don't remember reading anything about it at the time or since.
taster of pork

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:50 pm Reply with quote
I wonder how the Japanese company would have reacted if they found out their precious Nirvash statue took spill on a Long Beach freeway?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4