• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tales Of The Industry - The Mecha Saw Combat

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Gewürtztraminer wrote:
Is it wrong to be concerned about a crime being committed here?

No one got hurt... that you know of.

Laws were broken, even if enforcement took no notice.

Crap blowing out of vehicles is a pet peeve of mine, it is solidly in the crazy dangerous category most people ignore.
The important thing is that they recovered it almost immediately and put a car with its hazards on behind it, which is almost certainly why they only got the ticket for the tags; depending on the specifics of the law, it might not have even been an infringement at that point.
grooven

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Wow that insane insane story. I can't believe that happened. The end is terrible too.

I was at AX 2007 that was my first convention so I had no idea what to expect. The Haruhi autograph thing was a joke but otherwise most things didn't go so bad on my end.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:12 am Reply with quote
I could read a whole book of stories like this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Asrialys

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:19 am Reply with quote
Ah, AX2007. My first (of many) year on staff. The Day 1 Exhibit Hall line. The extremely-delayed SKIN concert. The Main Event lines in general. Me winning the staff raffle for Haruhi Japanese cast autographs and not getting it (not guaranteed and at their discretion/availability) Ugh, I hope we never return to LBCC...

Although, I don't remember seeing Nirvash. I do have a picture of Shuttered Entertainment's booth, but maybe it just wasn't within the scope of my camera. But judging by the photo on ANN's article, it should have been right in front of the booth. But I don't have an Eureka Seven stand in my photo. Hm...

doomydoomdoom wrote:
What, by the way, was so disastrous about the Haruhi concert? I don't remember reading anything about it at the time or since.

Maybe Johnny? Razz
Raneth

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:45 am Reply with quote
Asrialys wrote:
Ah, AX2007. My first (of many) year on staff. The Day 1 Exhibit Hall line. The extremely-delayed SKIN concert. The Main Event lines in general. Me winning the staff raffle for Haruhi Japanese cast autographs and not getting it (not guaranteed and at their discretion/availability) Ugh, I hope we never return to LBCC...

Although, I don't remember seeing Nirvash. I do have a picture of Shuttered Entertainment's booth, but maybe it just wasn't within the scope of my camera. But judging by the photo on ANN's article, it should have been right in front of the booth. But I don't have an Eureka Seven stand in my photo. Hm...

doomydoomdoom wrote:
What, by the way, was so disastrous about the Haruhi concert? I don't remember reading anything about it at the time or since.

Maybe Johnny? Razz

I'm very curious too. Very Happy I keep hearing all these comments about the horror that was AX 2007, but what happened that year?
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:06 am Reply with quote
Raneth wrote:

I'm very curious too. Very Happy I keep hearing all these comments about the horror that was AX 2007, but what happened that year?

Someone reminded me of this interview I did with AX's then-head of marketing, right after the con:

http://4NN.cx/.18631

That year was a complete disaster.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Stuff winds up in the middle of the road on highways all the time. I'd imagine highway police officers know they're all accidental, as no matter how much you secure something, as long as it's out in the open, it could fall out.

Due to stuff like this though, I avoid being directly behind vehicles with big open loads like that, or if unavoidable, I keep a greater distance behind them than usual.

What I wonder is why the winds were 75 miles per hour if they're in the slow lane, unless this was during those windy days. Los Angeles traffic is notorious for being either full-throttle or full-stop with little in between, but even slow lanes don't normally go that fast.

configspace wrote:
It's why I'm always leery about getting behind trucks with lots of stuff tied down above the tailgate or with open tailgate, especially the flatbed trucks with pipes at windshield level.

I can say, based on my experiences hauling furniture, there are plenty of cases of people who don't tie their furniture down at all. For the most part though, they will take street-level roads and drive as slowly and carefully as possible, as they know they could easily lose their furniture that way, and they certainly don't want that.

Unless it's on its way to illegal dumping. Then anywhere where they don't get in trouble is fine.
bemused Bohemian

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:16 am Reply with quote
Ah, highway travel back in the '70's here in the US: I used to own an 18-wheeler and ran lower 48 plus Canadian provinces year-round for a national household moving company. One explicit recall was traveling 70-mph in western Oklahoma in the slow lane on I-40 East about 1 am in late summer. In the distance I thought I saw a shape or outline of something in the fast lane without tail lights. Not to worry, this isn't unusual out in the wide open spaces, especially with ranch trucks (livestock are notorious for kicking out head or tail lights on vehicles when they are being fed using hay bales out the beds of pickups on the property). As I sailed on by the object I took note it wasn't moving at all and there were no flashers, no lights turned on, no occupant(s) within or near the median, no warning cones, no flares (legal back then), nothing! The object was sizable enough to inflict great harm to anything had it been smacked into at 70-mph or lesser (small flatbed 2-axle ranch truck). In the era of CB radio I didn't possess 1. I saw no one behind me for miles, counted 3 rigs going west in 20 minutes' time thereafter. Next population center (100 people +/-) was 20 minutes away. I kept on going thankful I was in the usual lane for slow trucks. Then again, maybe that was just my imagination.......NOT.

Christmas Day, 1975: no one traveled on this day west of Albuquerque, NM. I had a load bound for LA and had only seen 4 vehicles (going east) since leaving that city. A Mexican family in a mid-size station wagon had broke down 25 miles out and was parked on the shoulder of I-40 West. I stopped just behind them, offered assistance in the form of taxi service (no charge) for 1 person to return to ABQ even though it was Christmas. Neither adult would go. With 2 small children and vehicle full of personal items each felt the greater calling would be to stay with the wagon. Fine. "But could you give us a jump start?" the father asked. What? My batteries were located on the right side of the truck. My jumpers were not long enough except for parking parallel to their car. Long story short: I parked my 55' long 18-wheeler in the right lane of I-40 West, laid out the reflective triangles per ICC / DOT rules behind my trailer, and futilely tried to help them jump that vehicle. Nothing. Again, no CB (nobody out there anyway on Christmas). They stayed with their car. I picked up my triangles, waved them goodbye, wished them good luck re next Good Samaritan, put the rig in gear, moved westward. In that time no vehicle had driven past us headed either direction. This is how dead traffic was on the Interstates in New Mexico during Christmas Day back then.

LOL, just try to do THAT now, anywhere, any time (barring massive snow storms or crosswinds) on I-40. Gee, 30 million people have arrived here since then.....some of these folks even own cars.

Zac, if this post is too windy by all means....delete it.

Last edited by bemused Bohemian on Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ali07

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:22 am Reply with quote
Ah, things falling onto the freeway...never good. Laughing
Desslok

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:59 am Reply with quote
Quote:
"Do we just keep driving? There's a giant robot in the middle of the freeway!"

I pray to god that someday these words will find cause to come out of my mouth. . . . .
SnaphappyFMA

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:14 am Reply with quote
Asrialys wrote:

doomydoomdoom wrote:

Maybe Johnny? Razz

Raneth wrote:

{Fixed your inline quotes. ~nobahn}

Standing in line for four hours for the AMV contest and then finding out the organizer of the contest had had the tape stolen from his briefcase EARLIER IN THE DAY and didn't tell anyone about it... 100-degree heat and people fainting from the hot sun in lines that snaked outside the building... Long Beach Convention Center staff being rude and abusive to fans...

It was my second AX, and the worst one. The second worst one was last year's.
DaisakuKusama

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:04 pm Reply with quote
doomydoomdoom wrote:

I found this link that may shed some light on the topic:
http://www.animeyume.com/site_features/ax07_coverage.html

AX07 was the one that finally broke me. It was so bad, I didn't return to AX for two years! I heard the SKIN concert was pretty awesome, tho.

I love these Tales Of The Industry. Keep 'em coming!
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Ha ha, another great story! Like a lot of other peeps, I eagerly await to hear about the Haruhi concert debacle.
Tempest_Wing

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Man. Reading horror stories about Anime Conventions and then the stories of people getting sexually harassed really makes me think twice in attending one at all.
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Ah the twilight days of the boom era, you gotta love it....
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4