• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ghibli's Ocean Waves Blu-ray Listed in Japan With English Subtitles

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xristophoros

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:37 am Reply with quote
it's been a long time coming! this will be the final ghibli property making the jump to the hd era. the last thing i ask of ghibli is to please release all of the museum shorts to the public. i know it is extremely unlikely due to that being a major draw for tourists visiting the museum, but for the sake of preservation and for those who will never get a chance to visit japan, it would be very much appreciated. and disney, will you ever get around to releasing a blu ray collection for north america? no matter the cost i will be first in line... so long as the price is within reason and unlike the $500 miyazaki box set released in japan that is Very Happy
Lord Starfish

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:59 am Reply with quote
Huh. I was starting to think that maybe they didn't even have the original film-negatives for this one anymore or something, seeing how not only was it the last Ghibli-movie not to be released on BluRay, but a while back they also did DVD re-releases of all their older movies except this one... Well, nice to see that it's coming, even though it's not a movie I personally care that much about one way or the other.
omiya

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:38 am Reply with quote
There were extras available on a Japanese DVD release that weren't on the Madman release. I hope that the blu-ray will include as many worthwhile extras as possible (including English subtitles).
koinosuke

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:36 am Reply with quote
Was really happy to hear about this. Ocean Waves is a very unique film not just for Ghibli, but for anime in general - a completely down to Earth, mature, and well-done slice of life movie. Looking forward to buying this and completing my Ghibli blu-ray collection.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:51 am Reply with quote
Ghibli's experiment:

• That said, history has shown that when things don’t reach Ghibli’s understandably lofty expectations, there may be repercussions. 1993’s Ocean Waves was Ghibli’s first made-for-TV project. The 72-minute anime was helmed by a young staff, and was envisioned as the start of a youth movement at Studio Ghibli, with up-and-coming artists getting a chance to show their stuff on television, before stepping up to theatrical features. Unfortunately, Ocean Waves went way over-budget and finished in the red, making it the first and last time Studio Ghibli would sign off on such an experiment.

daishi808

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:05 am Reply with quote
I saw this when it was shown at the Hawaii International Film Festival. Looking forward to being able to pick this up and seeing what the movie is actually supposed to look like. The HIFF theater that it was shown in (Kahala Mall) had horrific projection issues that kind of took me out of the experience.
treatment

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:21 am Reply with quote
koinosuke wrote:
Was really happy to hear about this. Ocean Waves is a very unique film not just for Ghibli, but for anime in general - a completely down to Earth, mature, and well-done slice of life movie. Looking forward to buying this and completing my Ghibli blu-ray collection.

Yup. Quite happy it's getting the BD version. I can finally retire my old dvd.

Will be more awesome if this particular title finally gets a US release.

Shunji Iwai should have really licensed and adapted a live-action version of this when Yu Aoi was still of age for Rikako. The anime fits his film style and her visual and acting chops.

omiya wrote:
There were extras available on a Japanese DVD release that weren't on the Madman release. I hope that the blu-ray will include as many worthwhile extras as possible (including English subtitles).

Looks like the same extras as the old R2J, per cdjapan's description:

Quote:
Special Feature / Bonus Track: stoaryboard, script for dubbing, trailer, layout compilation, staff round table talk

I do hope they english-subbed the extras this time.
Moroboshi-san

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:38 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
... making it the first and last time Studio Ghibli would sign off on such an experiment.

It is also first and only time Ghibli movie has not been animated by Ghibli staff. And boy can you see that!
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:39 pm Reply with quote
What's the license situation with this title in the US? Was it part of the Disney-Tokuma deal or is it up for grabs?
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Moroboshi-san wrote:

It is also first and only time Ghibli movie has not been animated by Ghibli staff. And boy can you see that!

I don't know whether Yoshifumi Kondo, Katsuya Kondo, Masako Shinohara and Mitsuo Iso were part of Ghibli staff or just freelancers but most of them have worked on many Ghibli films.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Man, they are releasing lots of stuff with English subs. Though it's an import but hey, when you want it you'll do anything to get it.
waffleman1230

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Guys, I don't know if you noticed this, but according to CDJapan, this is going to be a 4K Blu-ray. I think this is the first bluray from Ghibli to make to to 4K.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1