• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4:

spoiler[The action feels a bit fast and stale but the comedy was alright. We get Lili's introduction in this episode but I don't think she is trustworthy at all after what she did. I don't think she is a bad person though but taking Bell's knife definitely wasn't a sign of good deed.]

As for the buildup, I expect more action soon. And spoiler[Hestia flew into not one but two jealousy frenzies? Oh my.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:23 pm Reply with quote

spoiler[Bell on an unexpected shopping date..
That Eina sure was persistent.
So Hestia meets Eina... that goddess sure is a jealous one.
At least Eina discovered something useful for Bell.
That supporter, Liliruca, looks like she's hiding something..
Damn, Bell sure has become strong.
Looks like he's collecting girls too.
That Soma Familia seems like the survival of the fittest..]
Shikiari

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4

Now starting to reading through the second LN, they seemed to have fast tracked through this episode and made a good few alterations.

Firstly the supporter is called spoiler[Lilliluka Erde, Lilly for short and they arrange to partner up in a cafeteria on the second floor of Babel, after Bell fondles her ears in shock of her being a Chienthrope.]

Then the scene with Hestia, which plays out differently. Bell is actually spoiler[extremely embarrassed for Hestia because she is working there and tries to force her to go home before she is sent back to work by the shop owner.]
spoiler[Eina and Hestia already know each other and the "jealous" scene never takes place, but rather it should have two episodes ago]... I was wondering why it was left out then.

For a show that is meant to be 'Picking up girls in a Dungeon', Bell doesn't spend that much time down it in the anime. Both himself and spoiler[Lilly have a lengthy conversation about the role of supporters in groups, and why they are seen as low life to many adventurers. Lilly also declines Bell when he see's her as an equal as in her view supporters are nothing but parasites and cowards. It helps in understanding why she does certain things later on in the episode.]

Anyway, I'm still enjoying the show immensely but if they were to slow things down a tad or release some of the available information to the viewer, i'm sure that it would benefit highly.
TRNielson

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4:

Sadly, I didn't care much for this episode. spoiler[For me, the only absolute draw this show has is the interactions between Hesita and Bell. The show is trying to hard to make me want to care about the other characters, but as it's clearly heading down the harem path, it makes me want most of them to suffer slow, agonizing deaths.]

spoiler[The action scene was nice. And I feel like Lilly might be a semi-okay character, as it seems like her and her familigia are hiding something bad. My guess is something is wrong with their particular god(dess) and they need money for treatment. But the whole "befriend the nice guy than screw him over first chance I get" cliche and the fact that Bell was completely oblivious afterwards really irks me.]

Sadly, this show started off very enjoyable for me and I even felt it could be a better show for people that enjoyed SAO. But for all it's original and semi-original ideas, I feel it's falling fast into already tread territory.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:18 am Reply with quote
Episode 4

I love Lili already. It became clear pretty quickly that spoiler[she is a thief], and I will guess that it is spoiler[out that she is desperate for money, which I assume the familia she is a part of is forcing members to get money]. Rather than just being young I will assume that her height is a part of her race, I think that I remember something like that in Final Fantasy Online (which I have not played). I will also assume spoiler[she can swap between two races because she is like half or something].

I enjoyed both that Bell is spoiler[teamed up with someone not so innocent], but also that she is the one being affected with Bell being so kind.

Also, I tried to see if I could figure out what spoiler[the book was called at the end]. I think that it actually looked like it was made of English letters that spelled something like: "spoiler[The Modern magic even the goblin Enott]". I could just be seeing something not there. In reflection I would attribute trying to read it from the fact I have spent time in the past reading Unown.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5:

Well that was...eh cute I guess?spoiler[ I mean, Hestia and her hairstyle. Her jealousy is getting slightly annoying to me now. And as for this episode's mechanics, we got a bit of magic at works. I hope Bell can master that fire bolt technique or whatever without exhausting himself again. The brief moment between Bell/Aiz was cute imo.]

As for spoiler[Lili, there's a good chance imo that she has something planned with the foreshadowing going on now.] Guess we'll see soon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 1:24 pm Reply with quote

spoiler[Hestia finally on a date with Bell.
She was so excited about it too ^^
Sadly, their date became very crowded fast!
Lili was torn between her reality & Bell's kindness.
It was nice to learn a bit more of Bell's way of thinking.
Developing magic was pretty cool.
Nice episode.]
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 9:58 pm Reply with quote
It does seem to be a bit of a mean thing to do to a sister goddesses first date.

And Bell. Jeez you can't even put your arm around her when she leans into you? Man up, dude.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 10:05 am Reply with quote
Episode 5

Well that was kind of nice, but Bell is really not going to see Hestia in the romantic way unless she does something more. At this point I just have to say that this is quality, some nice subtle world building, and all the characters are doing their own things. It looked like those spoiler[goddesses were teasing Hestia a bit in crowding her date].

You suddenly find out you can shoot fireballs, of course you cannot wait a day to try it out. Actually surprised he waited until getting to the place. The show said that the title of the book (spoiler[grimoire) was "Modern magic even a goblin can understand]", which is a little different than what I figured was "The Modern magic even the goblin Enott".
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 10:45 am Reply with quote
Hestia needs to have her hair down more often. Like, always.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 11:19 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Well that was kind of nice, but Bell is really not going to see Hestia in the romantic way unless she does something more.

What would you suggest? They already pretty much sleep together.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 11:55 am Reply with quote
Well, Hestia could always tell Bell directly that she's in love with him.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 11:56 am Reply with quote
Actually I remembered something that I had a thought of in the episode. It was that he spoiler[mistook the girl as his mother], yes embarrassing, but also might say something about him so easily getting attached to her, that he may have some emotional problems from spoiler[missing family members].
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 1:35 pm Reply with quote
I cracked up at Syr trying to distance herself from the grimoire incident. And when Bell calls her on it, she gets a mischevious look on her face and asks if it's working. That's the kind of humour that always works for me.

And when Bell-kun uses his fire bolt he should say something cool like, "Flame on!"
Shikiari

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5

Right what's starting to niggle at me is that either the anime or Light Novels has got Lilliluka Erde's name wrong. The anime calls her Liliruca Arde, whilst the manga the former. Which one is it?

As picked out by the review on the front page, they tried to cover a hell of lot in just 23 minutes - half of the second LN.

Oh well, Hestia looked cute with her spoiler[hair down] , but she really has to realise thatspoiler[ Bell has little interest in her as a romantic partner.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10