• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Video Game Rankings, April 20-26

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mistress_kisara

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Happy for Meikoi and Clock zero
KH91

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Brave Lee Second #1 as expected. People might be waiting for the definitive version, hence the lower first week numbers. The Famitsu numbers for Blazblue are way higher than MC, so I'll believe Famitsu since I want the game to sell. PS4 #1 again this week. Nice.
aereus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:16 pm Reply with quote
So did Disgaea5 bomb or something? It came out end of March, but I never saw it rank at all. Are NIS titles that niche even in Japan?
KH91

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:44 pm Reply with quote
aereus wrote:
So did Disgaea5 bomb or something? It came out end of March, but I never saw it rank at all. Are NIS titles that niche even in Japan?

Yes, you never saw it. Too much comp. Should have been released in April. Doubt it would have changed much. Digital version on PSN was in the top 10 for a couple weeks or so.

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-04-01/japan-video-game-rankings-march-23-29/.86632
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:53 pm Reply with quote
It seems that Bravely Second has outsold the competition by a landslide.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:55 pm Reply with quote
aereus wrote:
NIS, Idea Factory and so on's titles have always been niche even in Japan.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Calsolum

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:47 pm Reply with quote
huh the vita console sales are decent

as are the games/VN for it

see, that americas is why the vita is dying here maybe they should take a lesson from this...

*sigh* id better get back to my japanese for retards book
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:

100k is nothing compare to other top DS titles. lol
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 12:19 am Reply with quote
I'm playing Bravely Default right now and haven't gotten too far, but I need to know: is that supposed to be Tiz? If it is what happened to him? He looks so different! Did something huge happened to him at the end of BD or am I just thinking too much into it? lol.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 1:27 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
Mr. Oshawott wrote:

100k is nothing compare to other top DS titles. lol

This Week In Sales: Bravely Second Is On The Job

• Last week, Square Enix released Bravely Second in Japan and the game sold 100,047 copies in its first week. That’s a far lower debut than Bravely Default, which sold 141,529 copies at launch.

While the game has seen a slower start than Bravely Default, Japanese retail chain Tsutaya say they expect sales to remain strong through Golden Week, which should help offset the slow start to some extent.

As for why Bravely Second has seen a slower start than its predecessor… this is just a personal opinion, but judging by everything we’ve seen thus far, Second doesn’t really seem to do anything new that helps set it apart from Bravely Default. The game appears to be fairly iterative, and while that’s great for folks that liked Default and wanted more, it doesn’t help attract wider audiences.

Japanese Players Are Enjoying Bravely Second, But Point Out Some Of Its Flaws

• Bravely Second, Square Enix’s highlight anticipated sequel to Bravely Default, released last week in Japan, and the consumer reviews on Amazon Japan seem to indicate mixed feelings about the game.

Bravely Second is currently sitting at a 3-star rating (out of 5 stars,) which isn’t a bad score, but for the sake of comparison, other popular RPGs such as Bravely Default, Xenoblade Chronicles 3D, and Fire Emblem: Awakening are all sitting at 4 stars each. That having been said, as always, remember to take the following information with a grain of salt, as it comes from a wide variety of players with different perspectives.

Another reviewer gave Bravely Second 5 stars for its battle system and the challenge behind the game, along with the fun that comes with combining all the different jobs and abilities together. However, he also had a few minor criticisms to share.

“On the other hand, the story, new characters, and music didn’t draw me in like the previous game (maybe I just got used to the first game). The new characters have a different feel to them, and it seems like there are many on the more serious side,” he wrote. “The music isn’t too memorable, and I don’t find myself humming the songs like I did in the first game.”

Moving on, one of the main complaints that many of the critical reviews have seem to be about the dialogue in Bravely Second. We previously reported that Bravely Second has new writers that handled the story, and it seems that this has led to some changes compared to the first game. The main complaint is about how there’s frequent use of Internet lingo, slang, and references to anime.

“There are plenty of frivolous conversations that are something like a parody that you’d see from NicoNico or 2chan,” one reviewer said about Bravely Second’s dialogue.

Another reviewer stated: “As a fan of the first game, yeah, there was a little discomfort early on. I thought to myself: ‘what is this, Neptunia?’ But after playing it and getting further, I didn’t mind such trivial matters. Most of the parody bits that [other reviewers] have been pointing out are mostly in the tutorials, and I don’t think it’s anything worth being that upset about; however, I could see it being a shock to fans of the first game, as they may view it as the worldview and mood being ruined.”

A third player stated: “I, too, felt that there was an unnecessary degree of meme parodies and slang. The first game also had a little bit of this, but I felt that this game has an unnecessary amount of it. In the end, I don’t think it’s so bad that it takes away from the game’s worth, though.”

Opinions regarding music, dialogue, story, and characters seem to vary from good to bad, but one thing just about everyone was able to agree on, is about the Square Enix Members issue.

“Register on the member’s site? What the heck is that about?” wrote a critical reviewer. “Just when I thought I could sit there and enjoy the game, it said that it was required to register on Square Enix’s Members website. This was probably the biggest instance of an unpleasant feeling I got from the game.”

This reviewer goes on to list a few things in the game that require a Square Enix Members account registered to the game. The first one, which bothered him the most, was the new version of Norende Village’s restoration, which is on the moon in Bravely Second. Unlike in Bravely Default, where you could go online to gather villagers to help out, you’ll need to register the Square Enix Members site before being able to do so in Bravely Second.

Some of the other things that also require the Members site are first-print bonus items, additional quests, and additional costumes. In other words, if you want any extra bonuses, the game kind of forces you into registering, which was never the case in Bravely Default.
sharl

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 4:53 am Reply with quote
KENZICHI wrote:
I'm playing Bravely Default right now and haven't gotten too far, but I need to know: is that supposed to be Tiz? If it is what happened to him? He looks so different! Did something huge happened to him at the end of BD or am I just thinking too much into it? lol.

Bravely Second takes place a few years after Bravely Default, at the end of the the first game spoiler[ you find out that Tiz was killed when the great chasm first struck but Airy's sister keeps him alive until he is able to save the world. She leaves his body in the end and he dies near his brother's grave because he doesn't have a soul anymore. He's brought back to life somehow and he is kept inside the machine that Victoria was seen in before you battle her ]
consignia

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 6:22 am Reply with quote
aereus wrote:

It certainly charted the week it was released: http://gematsu.com/2015/04/media-create-sales-32315-32915

And it's sales would have put it 4th if it had been released last week. Not stellar, but it is for the PS4, which is a harder sell in Japan.
aereus

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 6:31 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I'm kinda surprised they made it for the PS4 already. Usually they don't jump to the new console for at least 2 years after its out.
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 11:34 am Reply with quote
sharl wrote:

Bravely Second takes place a few years after Bravely Default, at the end of the the first game spoiler[ you find out that Tiz was killed when the great chasm first struck but Airy's sister keeps him alive until he is able to save the world. She leaves his body in the end and he dies near his brother's grave because he doesn't have a soul anymore. He's brought back to life somehow and he is kept inside the machine that Victoria was seen in before you battle her ]

Whoa! Thanks for answering!
limounaa

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 2:19 pm Reply with quote
mistress_kisara wrote:
Happy for Meikoi and Clock zero

I'm happy too, i wish they'll do an anime for Clock Zero Very Happy [/spoiler]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2