• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Disappearance of Nagato Yuki chan

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Had some mixed feelings on this originally but the latest episode convinced me to stay to watch the rest of the show. It just has so much fun humor in it with the cast especially Haruhi and Kyon. It definitely feels a bit different from the original series though but I think it can be get used to.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
chito895

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:48 pm Reply with quote
As a Haruhi series lover, and a person who rooted Kyon and Nagato since the disappearance movie, this show became my favourite quickly.

I really like the references to the original series, I find them really funny, especially spoiler[the one with Asakura and the knife]. But I'm pretty sure that that won't work on people that didn't watch the original series.
ParaSitius

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:05 pm Reply with quote
I need to re-watch the TV show as I've forgotten most of what has happened in it. Oh well, gives me something to do this weekend.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:18 am Reply with quote
This show's Gintama moments are quite stronger than one expects.

Last edited by Hameyadea on Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:15 pm Reply with quote
I haven't gotten around to watching the first few episodes of the anime version yet, but, assuming it sticks as close to the Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan manga as plot summaries would have me believe, I will say this: the first volume or two of the DoNYc manga I bought out of "franchise obligation".

It really wasn't until the third volume that I warmed up to it as its own thing rather than just a pleasant diversion for existing Haruhi Suzumiya fans desperate for something "new" and the arc in the fourth volume is what kind of cemented it as a worthwhile story on its own merits.

Since I'm guessing the arc from the fourth volume probably won't appear in the anime until towards the end of the cour, I wonder if too many late night Japanese viewers not just interested in pleasant romantic fluff with callouts to another series will have jumped ship by then, dooming the home video sales and ruining any chances for a second season?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SaiyamanMS

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:29 pm Reply with quote
The season is 16 episodes long (a rather odd number) and we're so far covering half a volume every episode. At this rate, they may just be able to cover the whole manga thus far.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:00 pm Reply with quote
With the introduction of Haruhi in episode 3, Kyon is finally becoming his old self. It's funny how a few minutes is enough for him to be tired of her shit lol.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:35 pm Reply with quote
SaiyamanMS wrote:
The season is 16 episodes long (a rather odd number) and we're so far covering half a volume every episode. At this rate, they may just be able to cover the whole manga thus far.

So, is the anime rushing and skipping noteworthy moments from the manga (as noteworthy as they can be, being mainly a Slice-of-Life manga and all), or that the SoL-ness of the manga is too long that mundane actions, like shopping for a turkey, take a few chapters? (and being published in a monthly magazine, that means some ~30 pages per chapter).
SaiyamanMS

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Yuki-chan chapters can vary wildly in length. (Chapter 21 is only 8 pages, chapter 6 is 24 pages, chapter 40 is 16 pages.) For what's been covered so far, it's relatively safe to assume approx 20 pages per chapter.

Breakdown of episodes to chapters so far is thus:

Episode 1: Chapters 1-4
Episode 2: Chapters 5-7
Episode 3: Chapters 8-10
Episode 4: Chapters 11-12 (The part before the opening theme was the end of chapter 10, which didn't make episode 3)

There's a few cases of some nice things being cut, episode 1 being the largest offender. We haven't quite finished volume 2 yet (it ends with chapter 14), as such 8 volumes in 16 episodes seems somewhat less likely now, but I imagine we'll still get fairly far in.

I'm hoping that we can at least get far enough to see spoiler[Sasaki and Kuyoh] appear in volume 6, seeing as KyoAni never got that far adapting the original novels.
MiloTheFirst

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:02 pm Reply with quote
i have mixed feelings on this show

when haruhi aired back in the days the one thing that kept me watching the show was the side characters' moments, specially nagato's (i found haruhi herself highly annoying, and ironicly she is way more bearable on this show), so i decided to watch the movie, which needless to say permanently booked a place in my heart for nagato yuki,

so i thought i would be thriled by this new series, except that, SHE IS NOT YUKI. so far this show has been at the very least quite enterteining, and i have had some fun while watching it but SHE IS NOT YUKI. i mean come on, WTF?, while would they turn her into a generic ball of moe? while would they put so much effort into making her a full three dimensional character, just to them give us some yuki's happy happy time with moe humor?

i know haruhi's was also a pile of random comedy skits (but with the plus that at that time they werent so much of a cliche), with a shananigan plot that at the end didn't deliver. but that is another show with a different structure and plot, no need to import those elements into this one. if they were aiming for fan of the original series they should know they are way older know and should be able to take a more mature proogresion

but even with all that the problem itself is that SHE IS NOT YUKI, playing with a psp all night because was too excited to fall sleep? even without alien powers and responsabilities she always was a down-to-earth person. letting all that people go shenanigans on the club room? she was the other kind of shy, or do they mean to tell us she went through some off-camara life expierence that give her more social skills? if so while would they not show us that instead, i am sure that makes for a more interesting show that what i am watching now.

as i said, i am still having fun, and i dont mind giving 23min to this every friday for the next 3 months, but i was expecting a different show
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Ep 4 review wrote:
Unfortunately, the episode just wasn't all that entertaining.

Maybe it was just the mood I was in but I was reasonably entertained. Yet I think pretty much everything the review pointed out was fair.

You just had to know that something bad was going to happen to Yuki in her quest the moment it was mentioned. And it isn't really clear to me that Haruhi really has any serious designs on Kyon (although Yuki certainly wouldn't know that) other than we know she did in the original time line and was in denial over it. This time around she seems more innocent about it. Handing off a candy bar rather than a Valentine's chocolate hardly seems like a very strong statement.

One thing I will say for this odd spin-off is that I really have come to like Haruhi's character design. Of all the characters she comes off best in this edition. She is capable of softer expressions and she actually says arigato to Kyon and makes it sound sincere. Two significant things: she hasn't assaulted anyone and she is keeping her hair long. Approve.
Barbobot

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:04 am Reply with quote
My main issue with the show so far is that I find it vastly more entertaining anytime the show is focusing on someone other than Nagato. In episode 4, Asakura and Tsuruya's back and forth and Haruhi and Kyon's interactions were just more interesting than any scene that focused on Nagato. Nagato's just very boring and stereotypical-shy-girl to me and it gets boring watching her.
Zoneflare

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:14 pm Reply with quote
If Haruhi wasnt in it I would have dropped it after episode 2. Haruhi steals the show as she should.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Without spoiling anything for people who haven't read the manga, if you're missing Yuki Nagato being the way you remember her from Melancholy, a bone or two may be tossed your way soon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chichiryuutei

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Without Haruhi this show would be utter TRASH!!! Yuki-chan can't carry the series and I don't even care about her moenes (In fact, I find her so irritating now).

I just can't find a reason to keep watching this show and yet I'm still watching because the headliner, the person moving the story and without a shadow of a doubt the person with the most natural chemistry with Kyon can't take over the show because this show is supposed to be about "Nagato Yuki." Why don't you f****** disappear already Yuki? You ain't helping the show!

The thing that drives me insane is that Haruhi is here for the fight and she's willing to go head to head against Yuki and whoever else for Kyon. I completely disagree with Mr. Creamer. Haruhi didn't give Kyon courtesy chocolate. She just made it look like that because she's Haruhi and as awesome as she is; she just won't come out and say that she's smitten by Kyon. I can't be the only one that saw how flustered and smitten she is. Finally, she was able to meet John Smith and ain't nobody going to get in the way of her and Kyon. But, we're force to believe that Yuki has a chance because... she's moe and is trying to learn how to express her feelings for Kyon... PLEASE!!!

And, don't get me started on the jokes and cliches. They're so stupid!!! They know that Kyon catching Haruhi was sooooo AWESOME that they just had to try it with Yuki and fail it because "well we all knew that it wasn't going to work but it'd be funny." Hahaha NOT! I'd be totally ok if Yuki were to actually beat Haruhi because she was able to develop far more chemistry with Kyon than Haruhi ever could but we can see that isn't going to happen.

I don't even want to see Yuki once Ms. Asahina starts to fall for Kyon because by God there is no way no way in hell or heaven that Yuki is able to beat both Ms. Asahina and Haruhi. Just pair up Yuki with someone else and give us Asahina vs Haruhi. We all know that Asahina had to yield before because Haruhi would just destroy the world but she doesn't have to that in this Universe.

I'm so sorry for the rant guys/gals. It just doesn't sit well with me when a series has soooo much potential and then decides to throw it all away just to satisfy the Moe apocalypse (Don't get me wrong, I love Moe but not this force kind).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6