• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Unveils High School DxD BorN Broadcast Dub Cast

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hellwarden

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Scott Freeman was like the best part of the dub....

....but these things happen I suppose.
KidOblivion

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Josh was pretty good in the dub. I'll miss Freeman but Josh is a great fit too.
Key

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Scott Freeman did do a great Issei, but I have no concerns about Josh Grelle taking over the role. That's not a particularly complicated or nuanced role, and Grelle does have a well-established track record of capable performances in harem series. (He is the male lead in the Date A Live, Freezing, and Infinite Stratos franchises, for instance.)

I am more concerned about Akeno being taken over by a total newcomer. (This will be Kelly Angel's debut role.) Teri does that kind of role so well (she was also the seductress in Senran Kagura), so she will be harder to replace. But Funimation has shown ability in the recent past to uncover great new talent, so I'm also looking forward to hearing what Ms. Angel can do.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zoneflare

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 2:27 pm Reply with quote
I'm more concerned with how mangled the English script is going to be rather than who is voicing who.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Josh sounds fine, just gonna have to get Scott out of my head. Kelly sounds bit better than Teri. still would have preferred for them to wait on this so it was uncensored.
DDragonking

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Though I am sad that Scott Freeman and Teri Rogers won't be in the dub for the new season. I am happy though that Josh Grelle got it and hopefully the new girl will do akeno's role justice. Now for my reaction: Thank the God of Oppai this got the dub lol though there really wasn't any doubt. Now the question is who will be Ross' VA? My guess will probly be Tsukumi's voice I can't remember the name but hers would be great.
KidOblivion

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Scott Freeman did do a great Issei, but I have no concerns about Josh Grelle taking over the role. That's not a particularly complicated or nuanced role, and Grelle does have a well-established track record of capable performances in harem series. (He is the male lead in the Date A Live, Freezing, and Infinite Stratos franchises, for instance.)

I am more concerned about Akeno being taken over by a total newcomer. (This will be Kelly Angel's debut role.) Teri does that kind of role so well (she was also the seductress in Senran Kagura), so she will be harder to replace. But Funimation has shown ability in the recent past to uncover great new talent, so I'm also looking forward to hearing what Ms. Angel can do.

Angel makes Akeno sound a lot more sexier. I was happy with it. They seemingly didn't change the script much either as opposed to the first two season. The jokes, as always, are more westernized and still funny.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 2:59 pm Reply with quote
I know I sound selfish but I would rather have had them not simildub it than recast two of the most important roles.

I get that Funimation is a business and they're out to make a profit (not that they aren't about the fans to) but this one time...I wish they had just said no.
ZeArNkN

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:
I know I sound selfish but I would rather have had them not simildub it than recast two of the most important roles.

I get that Funimation is a business and they're out to make a profit (not that they aren't about the fans to) but this one time...I wish they had just said no.

Ditto.

Hopefully by some stroke of luck they'll be able to bring back Scott and Teri when they produce the final English dub that will be released on BD+DVD.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 3:08 pm Reply with quote
ZeArNkN wrote:
Snakebit1995 wrote:

Ditto.

Hopefully by some stroke of luck they'll be able to bring back Scott and Teri when they produce the final English dub that will be released on BD+DVD.

Same. I don't want to knock Josh or this new girl, but it just wouldn't be the same without Scott and Teri. Maybe i still have some fatigue when he was in everything this time last year, but i really don't want to hear Josh right now...I've just grown bored with his voice.

I'm getting there with Clifford Chaplin now, he's in everything
FrameFreeze100

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 3:14 pm Reply with quote
ZeArNkN wrote:
Snakebit1995 wrote:

Ditto.

I agree. I haven't seen the first dubbed episode yet but I was actually more worried that Xenovia's actress (who is primarily LA based) would be replaced... but apparently even Dallas locals are no exception.

As popular as the franchise is I still don't think it was worth dubbing a censored version; makes me wonder how long before someone decides to rip the dub audio and sync it to the AT-X (uncensored) raw footage... FUNimation may have shot themselves in the foot by dubbing it early

I'll miss hearing Scott Freeman and Teri Rogers (hopefully return for the home video release) but Jamie Marchi as Rias has always been the best thing about the dub (won 2 awards for her performance for season 1) so that's one positive.
Shikiari

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Is it really necessary for Funi to Dub this as it simulcasts, especially when it's going to be the censored version? I'd of much rather them have waited for the Blu-ray release and have Scott and Teri voice their characters rather than replace them.

Because if it's a choice between watching the uncensored sub or censored dub, I know what choice I'll pick every time and that's coming from someone who thinks the English dub is brilliant.

The Welsh dragon in me is unamused...
Swiftyy

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 4:01 pm Reply with quote
I'm not a dub guy so I'm not going to criticize the new dub cast or even the dub itself, but I will criticize FUNi on this one, this was such a poor decision from them, but honestly couldn't win with this, they'd have annoyed people if they didn't broadcast dub this, and they've seemingly annoyed people with these cast changes.

Question for all you dub watchers: With these sort of cast changes (assuming they'll stay in the final home video release version) would it discourage you from buying the Blu-Ray / DVD?
TheMorry

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 4:33 pm Reply with quote
RejectedShadow wrote:
I'm not a dub guy so I'm not going to criticize the new dub cast or even the dub itself, but I will criticize FUNi on this one, this was such a poor decision from them, but honestly couldn't win with this, they'd have annoyed people if they didn't broadcast dub this, and they've seemingly annoyed people with these cast changes.

Question for all you dub watchers: With these sort of cast changes (assuming they'll stay in the final home video release version) would it discourage you from buying the Blu-Ray / DVD?
No, however it still sucks when VA are being changed.
FrameFreeze100

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 4:44 pm Reply with quote
RejectedShadow wrote:

I'd still buy because I like the show and most of of the DxD English cast but that doesn't mean I'm approving of the cast changes.

Unfortunately not buying/supporting the release of a show doesn't do anything positive. There are plenty of other dubs I dislike or had miscast VAs. If I don't buy FUNimation just interprets this as I don't like the show rather than my issue with the dub. (Justin talked about a similar topic in Answerman concerning the boycott of a certain VA for the Free! Eternal Summer dub) If many boycotted the release, FUNimation just assumes that genre isn't well liked and probably won't license more like it (or sequel seasons)

Writing emails or writing posts on FUNimation forums or social media probably has no effect either. So there's no effective way to show your displeasure with the dub (or specific casting choices) without hurting the sales of a show (which need every sold unit they can get)

Even ANN reviews don't mean anything (even the few that are actually on the mark) since IIRC Lance said the only reviews he cares about are Blu-ray.com and Amazon. Plus when you think about it why should 1 ANN staff review (right or wrong) represent the entire English dub fan community?

FUNimation should consider including feedback cards included with DVD/Blu-rays so fans can express their positive or negative experience with the dub or perhaps include a monthly survey for feedback on new dubs released each month.

I love dubs (when done well) but there are plenty of VAs who genuinely suck and have no business working in anime yet continue to do so despite constant criticism and showing no signs of improvement...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4