• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz's Shonen Jump to Add Welcome to Shika High's Competitive Dance Club, Devily Man Manga

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MDoorpsy

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Wonder why Lady Justice isn't getting an english translation. They let Food Wars in, so I'd assume it would have to be pretty bad.
kirisaki_kabuto

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 2:35 am Reply with quote
Oh, yes! Takuma Yokota is one of my favorite artists! And this is based on the oneshot that earned him praise directly from Oda if I remember correctly. I can't wait to read this.

Just in case people aren't recognizing, this is the guy who penned Onani Master Kurosawa, Molester Man and Tsunbaka. He also had a short story called Koganeiro in Jump which I quite enjoyed for its length and has Gakuen Dangerous ongoing (which definitely isn't for everyone but I personally find it hilarious, it's the best b-manga out there right now).

EDIT: by the way, I've never used this service, is it by monthly "subscription" like CR's manga service or do you buy individual chapters/volumes/series?
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 4:04 am Reply with quote
kirisaki_kabuto wrote:
Oh, yes! Takuma Yokota is one of my favorite artists! And this is based on the oneshot that earned him praise directly from Oda if I remember correctly. I can't wait to read this.

Just in case people aren't recognizing, this is the guy who penned Onani Master Kurosawa, Molester Man and Tsunbaka. He also had a short story called Koganeiro in Jump which I quite enjoyed for its length and has Gakuen Dangerous ongoing (which definitely isn't for everyone but I personally find it hilarious, it's the best b-manga out there right now).

You have automatically sold him to me with those two examples. I'm glad he went to draw professionally and I hope his professional works are as interesting as Kurosawa and Molester Man.
Amaranth Sparrow

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 4:46 am Reply with quote
kirisaki_kabuto wrote:
EDIT: by the way, I've never used this service, is it by monthly "subscription" like CR's manga service or do you buy individual chapters/volumes/series?

It's a digital version of the Weekly Shonen Jump magazine, in English. It's $25 a year for 48 issues. Each issue has around 200~300 pages of manga. New issues come out every Monday, simultaneous with the Japanese sale date.

There's a free preview issue on the official site:

http://shonenjump.viz.com/reader/1140-weekly-shonen-jump-previews-5

They also have Android and iOS apps.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 5:22 am Reply with quote
ala Dancing With The Stars, Shall We Dance
CallumKeyblade

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 5:32 am Reply with quote
I'm so intrigued by the dance manga and really want them to pick it up but know it almost certainly won't be.
kirisaki_kabuto

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 10:24 am Reply with quote
@Amaranth Sparrow I see, thanks.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 2:03 pm Reply with quote
I can't think of a lot of dance-centric mangas (only Hanayamata comes to mind, actually).
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 4:20 pm Reply with quote
MDoorpsy wrote:
Wonder why Lady Justice isn't getting an english translation. They let Food Wars in, so I'd assume it would have to be pretty bad.

My guess? Either a trademark dispute with a comic book publisher (they can be pretty vicious if a character in an action story shares a name with one of theirs, no matter how insignificant) or they're afraid of people taking offense at someone named after a personification of a pillar of democracy.

kirisaki_kabuto wrote:

Viz's Shonen Jump is both. You can buy individual volumes if you'd like, or you can purchase 8-, 12-, or 24-month subscriptions. Functionally, it's just like a print magazine.
Hawkmonger

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Lady Justice being excluded is.....odd. The swries has been picked up for omnibus editions (due soon I believe) and Neil Gaimon is ussualy very leanient in allowing his IP to be used (bless him!). I was rather looking forward to reading it as well....

Also the artist rang a bell, did he do Medaka Box?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1