• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Otakon 2007 - Bandai Visual USA

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Of course, Mr. Konno completely neglects to acknowledge that the definition of "collector market" is completely different in Japan than it is in North America. Unlike Japan, where most people rent (since most don't have room to store DVDs!) and only the hardest of hardcore fans would ever purchase DVD titles, they are usually willing to spend more money.

In North America, buying DVDs is a much more widespread practice, and one in which consumers expect more practical release tactics. If the company had done competent market research in this part of the world, they would have figured that out by now.
ZeroRyoko1974

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:42 pm Reply with quote
wonder what he said at Sakuracon that got him in trouble with his bosses
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:04 pm Reply with quote
ZeroRyoko1974 wrote:
wonder what he said at Sakuracon that got him in trouble with his bosses

Probably about how the Patlabor single didn't do as well as the LE version.
vocab

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:40 pm Reply with quote
BV will most likely go bankrupt. I don't see them lasting very long unless they start to change their ways.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Unfortunately, they will probably be around for a while. I don't think they have to deal with licensing costs, so with no dubs, they have minimal expenses. They don't have to sell very many copies to break even.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The two Patlabor movies will first receive HD-DVD releases,

You're gonna double-dip on Patlabor after already extorting hardcore fans with those overpriced editions? Screw that.

Quote:
Jin-Roh will initially be coming out on Blu-ray.

I don't know why I'd pay for a high definition version of Jin Roh for $80 when I can still find the regular one online for $20. More thoughtless marketing on their part.

Quote:
Bandai Visual has no plans to release the original Ghost in the Shell movie, since Manga Entertainment still holds the rights to that film.

I also hope Manga manages to get Innocence, so we can see a real edition of that, too.

Quote:
As the panel came to a close, Konno stated that since the market for anime in the US represents only 1.5% of the total DVD market, Bandai Visual cannot compete effectively with general-audience distributors. Therefore, it will concentrate its efforts specifically on the anime collector market.

You can compete, if you take the risk. At the present time, you're just putting your company at risk by trying to cater to a niche within a niche. If those j-pop artists recognize that American fans won't buy their music at import prices, why can't BV recognize that we won't buy your anime at import prices?
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:12 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
You're gonna double-dip on Patlabor after already extorting hardcore fans with those overpriced editions? Screw that.

I also hope Manga manages to get Innocence, so we can see a real edition of that, too.

I wonder how much BV plans on asking for the Patlabor HD-DVD. That way everyone who spent money on those nice boxes can feel really bad, when they have to drop another 60 dollars.

What Gatsu you don't like your Japanese audio language film with no subs Rolling Eyes. That whole Innocence release was a nightmare.
la_contessa

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:00 am Reply with quote
I've always wondered whether BV actually HAS an American marketing consultant. I feel like one would be necessary, since they clearly think they're in alternate-universe-Japan and are not trying to foist import prices off on us. It's like they've done a portion of the research and gave up instead of developing an effective stategy.

At any rate, this insistance on the "Japanese experience" apparently means that DVDs have few extras (for example, Gunbuster--why would I pay over $10/episode and not get tons and tons of awesome extras?) and crappy packaging (have you seen the non-le Haruhi Suzumiya packaging? There's not even a sheet of paper with a list of the scenes or episodes inside, just a vast expanse of white plastic. See if I ever pay close to full price on a volume of that series again). I'm not convinced this is something I actually want.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:09 am Reply with quote
contessa: Haruhi's handled by Bandai Ent, not BV.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:36 am Reply with quote
I'm confused about Freedom. I thought there were going to be 6 volumes. Is BVUSA only planning on releasing three volumes?

How is the Blu-Ray version of Honneamise a simultaneous release if it's coming out in Japan along with Patlabor 1 next week?

I'm even more confused about BVUSA after this article.
TheHTRO

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:09 am Reply with quote
The article wrote:
In Japan, collectors comprise a majority of all anime fans, whereas in the US, he argues, most fans are not actually interested in owning and collecting anime DVDs, but rather, are more interested in the social aspects of anime fandom.

That's not true (is it?)!

Either way it doesn't matter. He seems rather presumptious telling the fans what they are more interested in. To anyone who was there, did he get booed after that remark?

In any event, I think they did more market reasearch, but still not enough. As somebody (on this forum, I believe) once mentioned, it all comes down to how much the consumers are willing to pay for R2 quality in the R1 market.

Are people more interested in the shows or the extras? Clearly, they focus more on the shows, but some extras would be nice too.

As to the Freedom question, I believe that 3 volumes implies two episodes per disc, I think...
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:06 pm Reply with quote
HTRO:
Quote:

In any event, I think they did more market reasearch, but still not enough.

I think they did enough market research. They just want to ignore the current market and hope to create a new one, which might work, if they at least acknowledge what made the old market work. If RightStuf and Media Blasters sold SuperGals 2 and Girl's High at BV prices, they'd never make their money back on those properties. The company is actually making Animeigo's prices for new shows look cheap!

Quote:

As to the Freedom question, I believe that 3 volumes implies two episodes per disc, I think...

My bet is it didn't make its money back, so they had to cut down the production from six episodes to three. Of course, if they actually did get six eps out of it, then I assume it'll be two volumes on the second disc and three on the last.
leongsh

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:54 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
HTRO wrote:

My bet is it didn't make its money back, so they had to cut down the production from six episodes to three. Of course, if they actually did get six eps out of it, then I assume it'll be two volumes on the second disc and three on the last.

I would take your bet Very Happy Freedom OVA Episode 4 is being streamed for free to Yahoo Japan customers for 1 week which started on Friday, 20 July 2007. As a matter of fact, I just watched Episode 4 yesterday. The R2J Volume 4 DVD for Episode 4 will be officially released shortly after the free streaming period ends.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
He concluded the Q&A section of the panel by asking attendees whether they were more interested in anime titles themselves, or in the extras. Most of the audience members voiced their preference for the actual titles.

Wow, talk about a loaded question. Of course people are going to answer that they are more interested in the title, that's what they're buying the DVDs for. However people also want to know they're getting their money's worth out of their purchase, not to mention language options.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ryusui

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Tone down the rage. ~Zalis
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2