• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sound! Euphonium (TV + movies + OAV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 12:51 am Reply with quote
@ keichitsu0305
I think that was who I was thinking of. They look kind of similar, right? But I guess thinking more I can come up with a couple other characters they might look like.
TRNielson

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 2:56 am Reply with quote
Episode 5:

That, to me, was the series best episode to date. From the start, it kept me absolutely hooked.

spoiler[The bust comparison scene was easily the laugh-out-loud moment of the episode. But, unfortunately for Kumiko, everyone pales in comparison to Asuka.]

The marching practice sure brought back a lot of memories for me, most of them excruciating. Glad to see they got the hang of it a lot better than I ever did.

The train scene between spoiler[Kumiko/Kousaka was a nice touch. I love how spoiler[serious and professional Kumiko gets around Kousaka. She's clearly trying very hard to impress her. That moment when Kousaka flipped back her hair and smiled. Damn.]

Props to the band spoiler[for what seemed like a great performance at SunFes. Hopefully the next episode shows more from their performance as I think it would have been fun to see more than the brief scene we got.]

Lastly, spoiler[Kousaka's trumpet solo. Kousaka is probably the most interesting character we hardly get to see in this show. It's obvious that, unlike everyone else, playing the trumpet and being in a great band is her passion in life. She isn't doing this because she has to (like how Kumiko practically got forced into it) or because she thought it would be fun (seemingly everyone else). She does it because that's what her heart and soul appear to be into. So when she sees everyone else panicking and tries to liven their spirits with her little solo, I think it shows just how much she cares about what she's doing. Also helps that it was pretty bada$$.]
Sunny milk

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 11:16 am Reply with quote
TRNielson wrote:

spoiler[The bust comparison scene was easily the laugh-out-loud moment of the episode. But, unfortunately for Kumiko, everyone pales in comparison to Asuka.]

I knew we won't be left without flat chest shaming, as expected of KyoAni.
Shikiari

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Sunny milk wrote:
I knew we won't be left without flat chest shaming, as expected of KyoAni.

Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 5:54 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Kousaka clearly has some further connection with their teacher, it could be spoiler[taken as a crush so far], but no real evidence yet. My guess is that spoiler[Kousaka may have actually picked the school because she knew he would be in it, so she is asking what overs think because she already knew him].

Considering how serious she is about music it's not surprising she'd look up to some one as capable as Taki-sensei. But from the way her eyes sparkle when she talks about him, it could go beyond mere admiration.

I expected as much, but it appears Kousaka spoiler[doesn't mind what Kumiko said to her in middle school, which makes Kumiko freeting over it more amusing.] Of course with the way these things usually work spoiler[some drama will happen later to reveal that she really was bothered by it the whole time.]

I'm probably the only one who cares, but I appreciate that Shuichi gets at least one scene per episode. I've gone on at length in the Free thread how I feel about the lack of male presence in these mostly-female shows (and vice versa). He's another person from Kumiko's past she doesn't have a great relationship with (though in this case it's not her fault) but we can see she doesn't dislike his company as much as she lets on.

He seems to have caught Hazuki's eye, though considering how she reacted to Asuka and Taki-sensei, me thinks she's the easily smitten type.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 6:31 pm Reply with quote
If your go back to when Kousaka played her trumpet outside. They cut to Taki-sensei looking surprised. I don't think he had heard her play before. The implication is that they did not know each other previously. I suspect she is just happy with his approach to leading.

It would not be surprising if Kousaka had no hard feelings about Kumiko's comment. People who are demonstratively emotional tend to get over the upset quicker than those that hold it in. She may not even remember it.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
If your go back to when Kousaka played her trumpet outside. They cut to Taki-sensei looking surprised. I don't think he had heard her play before.

He has. He listens to their middle school performance on his iPhone.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 8:50 pm Reply with quote
We know for sure that he was listening to their school? And why their school? There are only three people from that band in the new school. Anyway, you can't tell the how well one person plays by listening to the whole band. At least not if they are any good.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 9:02 pm Reply with quote
The school's name is displayed on the phone's screen. Though looking back I don't see Kumiko's middle school's name mentioned anywhere. Still, when the song is playing out loud Kumiko is flashing back to her school playing it.

As for why he was listening to it, it did win gold so it should be worth listening to. And I would think musical experts would be able to pick out certain performers out of the group, especially when they're more talented as Kousaka seems to be.
xifeng.hu
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 10:25 pm Reply with quote
It is possible to isolate players by sound. If you know each part and the people on that part then you can break it down to who is playing when. This is especially true for trumpet parts as they usually have around 5-6 parts in the section (1st-3rd trumpet and 1st-3rd cornet) so each part for trumpets usually have 1-2 people per part depending on the size of the section. Also some players have a distinct tone quality compared to the others. The better players will have a much fuller sound than the less skilled ones.
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 8:05 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
He's another person from Kumiko's past she doesn't have a great relationship with (though in this case it's not her fault) but we can see she doesn't dislike his company as much as she lets on.

She certainly has to bear some of the responsibility for the state of their relationship. Like her feelings about Reina, Kumiko is stuck in the past with Shuichi as well. She could just forgive him for a thoughtless, immature comment he once made in middle school and move along, but she has not done so. She's apparently waiting for some grand gesture of apology and reconciliation on his part; I don't see it forthcoming.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 9:39 am Reply with quote
I had to stop watching the show because I was so bored.

For me, there was nothing exciting in four episodes of the damned school club of talking heads and this all brown colour palette.

I usually love music shows, even tacky ones, but this show did not have music even. Slice of life mundane talks and interactions is not my thing.

However, if by end of the series people will still rate this show very highly and there will be finally something exciting happening, then I may get back to watch the rest of episodes.
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6:

Well that was cute. spoiler[Auditions added in the mix and we get some Kousaka, Sapphire, and Kumiko moments. I like how the episode also detailed a bit of Hazuki with her development. There was also this one scene at the train station where she got a little help from Tsukamoto. I wonder if that will develop from anything further...]

Looking forward to more progress with the characters' musical talents. Oh and of course the title met its expectation with the spoiler[twinkle little star tune~]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TRNielson

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6:

spoiler["I'm Tubacabra. You were born to blow me."-Asuka

I lost it right there. Asuka, you bad girl.]

In all seriousness, this was another enjoyable episode. This is easily my favorite show of the season and each episode has me sitting on the edge of my seat. spoiler[Kousaka blushing after her talk with Kumiko? She obviously has something she wants to say but either can't or won't. I swear, if these two don't hook up by the end of the show, I'm gonna be upset.]

I'm really curious about spoiler[Kumiko's past with her euphonium. We see the shot of her crying as a child and we also know that her sister got here into it, but her sister didn't seem too thrilled about her playing it a few episodes back and it doesn't look like her and Kumiko are on good terms. Wondering what happened to what looked like a good sisterly bond there.]

This episode also started fleshing out spoiler[Hazuki's character. It's gotta be hard trying to hold your own as a newbie, especially when it's a bass instrument since they hardly ever get noticed in a group and, as a solo instrument, they aren't always the "prettiest" sounding. Glad to see the group get together to help motivate her to keep playing further. Sadly, Kousei (YLiA) ruined listening to Twinkle Twinkle Little Star for me. Stupid Kousei playing it so cool...]

All in all, loved this episode. Beware the Tubacabra!
Shikiari

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6

I really enjoyed this episode, even though it didn't quite reach the high standard of last week. I'm glad they spent some time with spoiler[Hazuki's character development as she is by far the weakest out of the four.]

spoiler[Kumiko dressed as Tuba-Kun was pretty cute, especially when she got into character and the small 'Twinkle Twinkle Little star' ensemble was a nice way to finish off the episode.]

I'm looking forward to the spoiler[ auditions but I've got a feeling that the members who fall short of the mark, won't be the ones that we're expecting.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 22