• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Kyōkai no Rinne

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 7:35 pm Reply with quote
MysticMew wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I haven't decided how I feel about Sakura. I think the most I can say is that I don't dislike her. She doesn't yet seem to have enough personality to like her. She's just kind of there.

I personally find her rather monotone. It's like she has only one mood setting. She doesn't get upset (at least not very noticeable), she doesn't get fazed or surprised (as is evident when the cat snuck up behind her or her general reaction to freaky stuff), she reacts in pretty much the same way to everything. While this might be a positive character trait in form of perfect self-composure, I find it generally unappealing in an anime setting like this. So far it's hard to form an opinion about her.

Yeah, I agree. I wish Sakura was a bit more....."animated"? I guess she's just a laid-back person who's used to weird things....but she is so bland. Or it could be how her seiyuu is playing her. I think she's a bit similar to the heroine of Mermaid's Scar who also had a laid-back, composed personality.

And it would be nice if she wasn't a DID. She's the main problem I have with the series right now....but I do like it, aside from that. I might peek at the manga to see if her character becomes more compelling.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
If only we could get some kind of progress or explanation as to how Sakura became so accustomed to the supernatural...

I think being able to see them since she was a child is all the explanation we're going to get, or really need. What I want explained is the teacher's yellow + + eyes.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
What I want explained is the teacher's yellow + + eyes.

Oh, that's just Rumiko being weird and goofy, like always. :'D

(why are her old people in Ranma the size of bunny rabbits?)
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 9:04 pm Reply with quote
@Chiibi
Godai's grandmother in Maison Ikkoku and Cherry the Monk in Lum are also small. It is an exaggeration, but it probably represents the change in nutrition between the pre and post war generations. Rumiko Takahashi is post war but her grandparents would have been pre-war.
Nyaomix

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 11:18 pm Reply with quote
They killed Hanako? You can`t destroy a yokai Q_Q
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 9:16 am Reply with quote
No, they didn't kill her. She 'crossed over' so she will be reincarnated.

@Alan45: Ahh, I see. :O
Nyaomix

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 5:11 pm Reply with quote
I think you know what I mean. As a yokai it would be better she continue to do what she does.

I kind of like the class being less emotional since it helps sakura as a character for the world to be a little more drab.
meruru

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Thoughts so far on this series:

1. Yep, there's Shippo. Oh looks like Kouga/Ryouga is showing up next week. I can't even remember their actual names at this point, other than Sakura and Rokudo.
2. Sakura should form a club with the character Stu from the indie movie "What We Do in the Shadows" since there equally nonplussed by the supernatural, and both seem to lack in survival instincts.
3. OMG GHOST SLOTH I WILL WATCH THIS SHOW FOREVER.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 7:28 pm Reply with quote
I guess it just wouldn't be a Takahashi series without giant cats and characters constantly getting conked on the head from behind.
Ushio

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Quote:
If only we could get some kind of progress or explanation as to how Sakura became so accustomed to the supernatural...

I think being able to see them since she was a child is all the explanation we're going to get, or really need. What I want explained is the teacher's yellow + + eyes.

Oh that's easy it's a parody of 70's melodramatic sports manga where the hero had big starry eyes burning with passion and optimism.
navycherub

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The result is a show with a specific blend of dry humor, flawed protagonists, and incompetent antagonists that is more like her previous works than anything else in anime now.

Totally! Nail on the head. I think this is a big part of why I am enjoying the show so much, really - it might be "old hat" in the larger scheme of things, but on a weekly basis nothing I am watching is anything like Kyoukai no Rinne, which makes it a breath of fresh air each week.
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 7:05 pm Reply with quote
navycherub wrote:
Quote:
The result is a show with a specific blend of dry humor, flawed protagonists, and incompetent antagonists that is more like her previous works than anything else in anime now.

Totally! Nail on the head. I think this is a big part of why I am enjoying the show so much
I second that. I'm enjoying Rinne a lot, especially because of the super dry humor, but also because I've read all manga volumes Viz put out so far.

Last week's episode wasn't that great, but this one was fantastic. They even added some funny flashback scenes with the wrestling girl and her boyfriend in the anime.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Episode #7:

One of the show's strengths is definitely Mamiya Sakura and her dead-pan, monotone, unimpressed persona. After seeing ghosts and the likes for... What? A decade now (in-universe), it will be out-of-character is she did freak out when a ghost or a demon appears.

The show has also taken a step back regarding Rokudō Rinne's financial plight. I found it to be executed well enough to hold its ground and don't feel worn-out, but the show has other merits it can (and is) fall back on; the dialog in funny in its own way (unlike shows like Gintama, where they take the dialog in ridiculous directions, this show keeps its "I'm a step away from all that nonsense" despite being in the thick of it. Both shows pull it off with their own style), the characters are interesting, and the situations & their conclusions are believable - in-universe-wise - and don't feel deus ex-machina'd.

All that was missing from this episode was for Suzuki sensei to make an appearance, and that episode would've gotten a higher praise from me. (Those eyes! You gotta love 'em Anime smile)

Last edited by Hameyadea on Thu May 21, 2015 3:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 12:07 am Reply with quote
So...were all those critters under Rinne's care, or just the rabbit? Shocked Either way, he should not be allowed to have pets.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 12:42 am Reply with quote
Minor nitpick on the review - Takahashi's formula has been around since well before the 90's. She started writing Urusei Yatsura in the late 70's and played with the concepts and had this formula going on with Ryoga by 87-88. It's been the same ever since.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5