• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Two in Thai Maid Cafe Arrested, "Obscene" Manga Seized

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KAtchan15

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:59 pm Reply with quote
I once talked to a Japanese lady at a party and she told me a bit about these maid cafés in Japan. She said that the "maids" would even call the customer "Master" at times. But she couldn't speak English that well so I couldn't understand some of the things she said. I think she was talking about something else though.

About this news, I think that if they would've set proper boundaries, maybe it wouldn't have had to be closed down. Of course parents would be mad if they find out that their little kids have been reading smut manga or w/e.
Quote:
The customers are primarily young anime and manga fans.

Since it seems like it's just an ordinary hang out place for teens.

Edit**spelling errors.

Last edited by KAtchan15 on Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:17 pm; edited 2 times in total
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:14 pm Reply with quote
umm... why are little kids there in the first place? Rolling Eyes
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:15 pm Reply with quote
KAtchan15 wrote:
She said that the "maids" would even call the customer "Master" at times.

"At times?" It should be "always," or it wouldn't be a maid café at all.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:26 am Reply with quote
This does not surprise me as Thailand has a reputation as being a country of choice for paedophiles to go on their holidays. A reputation that the Thai's have been actively trying to shedd more vigorously in recent years. There have been a few sick pervs from the UK who have been rightfully done by the Thai police for "renting" underage children as young as 2, and I hear Thai prisons are quite unforgiving to that sort of thing. I hope they enjoy their stay. As for these 2 I think it was a case of not asking for IDs, and not labelling the shelves clearly enough. Oops.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:05 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
KAtchan15 wrote:

I find the fact that people enjoy maid cafes and women calling them "Master" distinctly unpleasant.
james039

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
dormcat wrote:
KAtchan15 wrote:

I find the fact that people enjoy maid cafes and women calling them "Master" distinctly unpleasant.

That was uncalled for. Just because some guy wants to go to a maid cafe to be served coffee by a woman in a french maid costume who addresses her patrons as "master" that may be a bit unconventional, but that doesn't make the guy a freak.

People like to be fawned over, even guys.. Razz

I'd argue its far more honorable than say, going to a strip club, yet, no one calls you a freak for doing that.
starcade

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
dormcat wrote:
KAtchan15 wrote:

That garbage was uncalled for, idiot.

What if Dormcat was actually making reference to the culture of a maid (and probably also a host) club and not referring to one's personal experience??
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Relax guys, Steven's just our resident Auzzy antagonist on a short chain. Don't take it personally. Wink
Sydney2K

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:

Yes Master.
Steventheeunuch wrote:
Fetch me another cognac, that's a dear.

Yes Master.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
dieseltrain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:31 am Reply with quote
if thailand is so rightous why don't they shut down the brothels? its laughable they would shut down a cafe and thailand has brothels running rampant. talking about being a hypocrite.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:40 am Reply with quote
dieseltrain wrote:
if thailand is so rightous why don't they shut down the brothels? its laughable they would shut down a cafe and thailand has brothels running rampant. talking about being a hypocrite.
I will guess that those brothels don't have anyone admittingly under the age of 16, or 18, or whatever the legal age of consent is there, and certainly no one who looks under the age of 13, else I would expect they would be closed and the owners and operators arrested. That café was closed because it allegedly had manga that had in them sexual situations with underaged children , a completely different kettle of fish me thinks. I'm not saying that those people wouldn't know someone, who knows someone, who knows someone who might be able to get say; an 8-year-old girl, or boy for the right price, but that would be Thai mafia controlled and tougher to fight.

Last edited by Mohawk52 on Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:48 am; edited 1 time in total
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:47 am Reply with quote
starcade wrote:
What if Dormcat was actually making reference to the culture of a maid (and probably also a host) club and not referring to one's personal experience??

Well, both. Wink

Mohawk52 wrote:
That café was closed because it allegedly had manga that had in them sexual situations with underaged children , a completely different kettle of fish me thinks.

You've misread the news. It was the café has 18+ manga unwrapped on its shelf, yet some its customers were minors and their parents complained. Whether those 18+ manga had fictional minor characters or not was not mentioned in the news.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:56 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
That café was closed because it allegedly had manga that had in them sexual situations with underaged children , a completely different kettle of fish me thinks.

You've misread the news. It was the café has 18+ manga unwrapped on its shelf, yet some its customers were minors and their parents complained. Whether those 18+ manga had fictional minor characters or not was not mentioned in the news.
So it does, I stand corrected, but still it wouldn't be that far from the mark with most of 18+ manga, now would it?.
killugon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:22 am Reply with quote
1. no rate 18+ in Akiba

2. Thailand Reports always do anything to improve their rating ,even the lie

3. the police ve no warrant of search

4. do u think Licence manga , cosplay group , model with swimming suit is obsence?

5. Akiba is not first case about this thing

after read this information do u really think Akiba is wrong?

ps* my eng is poor sorry if i type something wrong
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:18 am Reply with quote
killugon wrote:
1. no rate 18+ in Akiba
2. Thailand Reports always do anything to improve their rating ,even the lie
3. the police ve no warrant of search
4. do u think Licence manga , cosplay group , model with swimming suit is obsence?
5. Akiba is not first case about this thing

Welcome, and I'm really glad to see someone who has really been there to clarify a few things.

1. I would make the same assumption. After all, no business owner would be that stupid to get himself into big troubles by having unwrapped adult titles on their shelves.

2. Can't comment, for I'm not so sure what you wanted to say... was this "rating" the age rating for manga or the click/view ratings of Thailand Reports? Is it a news agency or a government statistics?

3. No offense, but given the past records of poor average integrity of Thai government officials this could well be a "warning" posed by police to ask for more protection fees.

4. Not at all. However, some parents (stereotypically named "soccer moms") do. I just read a news here in Taiwan about parents complaing some manga in libraries "have boys in fist fights and scantly dressed girls." Yeah right.

5. Are there other maid cafe in Thailand, or you meant similar incidents had happened in other places with manga e.g. libraries, rentals, or cybercafe, etc.? If it's the latter then I can tell you similar things happen all the time.

killugon wrote:
after read this information do u really think Akiba is wrong?

I can't take sides, but I'm glad to hear voices from another point of view. Anime, manga, games, cosplaying, etc. have suffered from incorrect, unprofessional, or even derogatory reports from mainstream media for a long time (and in many cases, still suffering), and I wouldn't be surprised if this incident was the same.

killugon wrote:
ps* my eng is poor sorry if i type something wrong

We know there are language barriers. As long as you state clear that English is not your first language and show that you are trying to improve yourself then it's fine.

Mohawk52 wrote:
So it does

I didn't quite get what this "it" referred to, but after reading killugon's post I now would assume this "it" referred to Akiba and "does" meant "does have 18+ titles."

The news did say those manga contains "indecent/obscene pictures" (わいせつな絵) but did not specify whether those are marketed as "adults only." My apologies for not being clear and specific enough. After all, in the eyes of soccer moms many fanservice pantyshots can be considered obscene.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3