• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Otakon 2007 - Tokyopop

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CloverKuroba

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Cool, an omnibus edition of Fruits Basket? That would make a great birthday present for a few of my friends.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:54 pm Reply with quote
I'm looking forward to the Fruits Basket Fan Book. Is that similar to an Art Book?

I'm also looking forward to the Full Metal Panic! novels and more Twelve Kingdom novels. In the latter, I'm looking forward to seeing the story that the anime didn't finish.
Paploo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:31 am Reply with quote
FYI---- Michael Vega left Dark Moon Diary sometime in 2006...... he was replaced by Brett Uher, but TP kept using his coverart in various promotional materials [which given TP's contracts, I imagine they can do, but still, not that professional/polite to do, especially since they didn't change names or anything]. Given there is new coverartwork with Uher's name floating around, you'd think they'd of not used Vega's name in the panel.

http://amegoddess.livejournal.com/123460.html
Diana X Sprinkle, Vega's collaborator/awesome artist herself recently posted a comparison of the "new" and old covers, the "new" one having Brett's name [though apparently not really designed by him if you look in the link]. I do support TP's work in getting awesome domestic artists work, and promoting them, with great editors, but some of their corporate practices need to have the hedges trimmed.

Still, given the size of the company and the level of work involved in editing original works, I'm not surprised if Kirsch and co. were unaware of the change.
ZeroRyoko1974

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:22 am Reply with quote
OEL is all about Tokyopop cashing in on starving artists. From their perspective, no licensing cost, and they can probably dispose of the artist however they want through fine print in some contract
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1