• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Doraemon/Danganronpa Voice Actress Nobuyo Oyama Suffering From Dementia

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 12:46 am Reply with quote
That is very sad news.
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 1:06 am Reply with quote
My grandmother had dementia, it's a very horrible thing to deal with, both for the person with it and their loved ones.
ChibiGoku

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 1:14 am Reply with quote
Very sad to hear and I hope she can somewhat overcome some of the issues with this, but it's not looking good.

My grandmother has had dementia for awhile now and, unfortunately, it has completely taken a toll on her to the point she is no longer herself. She can't even really hold a conversation anymore. It really pains me to see someone like this especially, suffer through this. I know it can be managed, but it's not something that one can really overcome.

I wish those around her life the best.
MiloTheFirst

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 1:16 am Reply with quote
why would they make this a news? these sort of things are personal, maybe it is just me but i find this sort of illnes coverage disrespectful to patient in question. maybe some people might wonder why she is not taking jobs anymore, but from that to tell us she cant even take baths by herself anymore is going too far.

it is not like having a mental illness is something to be ashamed of but it is still personal, it shouldnt just be out in the open to and fed to the masses for the lack of something else to report
i think is time for the comunication industry to take an ethic stand, even if people are hungry for information, they shouldnt just give them what they want, supporting vanal attitudes leeds to a decline of moral values.

if she is going through hardships thats for her and maybe her closed ones to bear. those like us who have never even spoke to her have no busyness even discussing her situation.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 1:38 am Reply with quote
Oh no. This is not good.

I can come to terms with the fact that some day I will have to die. But dementia? That's probably the one thing in the world I fear the most. For this to happen to someone so iconic is just all the more tragic.

I can't exactly say 'get well soon' in a situation like this, but I still wish her and her family the best.
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 1:39 am Reply with quote
This is horrible to hear. I assume she's basically a national treasure after voicing Doraemon for 26ish years.
KH91

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 1:57 am Reply with quote
Very unfortunate. I hope all parties can get through this situation.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 2:44 am Reply with quote
That's usually a one-way street. She'll probably won't voice any character ever.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 2:49 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Her agency, Actors Seven, stated that she needed to get her strength back before she returned to the public and her work.

I know this is basic corporate speech, but it seems rather distasteful a statement given the specific circumstances.
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 4:15 am Reply with quote
As a fan of Doraemon, it's sad to hear what has happen to her.
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 4:15 am Reply with quote
MiloTheFirst wrote:
why would they make this a news? these sort of things are personal, maybe it is just me but i find this sort of illnes coverage disrespectful to patient in question. maybe some people might wonder why she is not taking jobs anymore, but from that to tell us she can't even take baths by herself anymore is going too far.

it is not like having a mental illness is something to be ashamed of but it is still personal, it shouldnt just be out in the open to and fed to the masses for the lack of something else to report
i think is time for the comunication industry to take an ethic stand, even if people are hungry for information, they shouldnt just give them what they want, supporting vanal attitudes leeds to a decline of moral values.

if she is going through hardships thats for her and maybe her closed ones to bear. those like us who have never even spoke to her have no busyness even discussing her situation.

I understand where you're coming from, but there's two things I think you need to understand. And please keep in mind that I work in a nursing home and have been taking care of elderly with dementia on a specialized unit for over 18 years so I know something about the subject.

First off this wouldn't have been news if someone close to her didn't want it to be. The Japanese are very private about their health, a country where most minor illnesses are "colds". Most likely this was something that a family member or her manager wanted people to know about. The details are too intimate for this to have been leaked. The reasoning brings me to my second point.

People still lack understanding of just how debilitating and deadly dementia is. Alzheimer's disease, one of many forms of dementia, is the 6th leading cause of death in America with no form of cure, treatment, or prevention. While the other top 10 leading causes of death continue to decline, Alzheimer's is on the rise. $226 billion will be spent treating people with Alzheimer's in America alone and yet The National Institutes of Health only spends $480 million on research in 2011. An estimated 5.3 million Americans have Alzheimer's with all cases fatal yet climbing. Meanwhile there are 1.2 million people in America infected with HIV and the National Institutes of Health spent $3 billion in 2011 researching HIV which has seen a major plummet in new cases and deaths. HIV isn't considered a leading cause of death in America.

So, knowing that, it's a great thing for her and her family to be public about this. This diseases needs to be recognized as the killer it is and there's no better way to do that than for a loved celebrity to show just how horrific a thing it is. If more people like her and her family were brave enough to come out to increase awareness like this then we'd stand a greater chance of beating it.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Banjo

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 4:18 am Reply with quote
this is horrible, some diseases are just unbearable. I hope she gets better.
shiranehito

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 6:10 am Reply with quote
Gosh, this is a horrible news. I hope she can overcome this. All best wishes for her and her family and fans.
mgosdin

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 6:19 am Reply with quote
I lost both my Paternal Grandmother and Mother to Alzheimer's / Dementia, as Emerje says it is a killer and we need to make a better effort at addressing it. It takes a person away piecemeal and is a horrific burden on their families.

Prayers for Oyama-san, her family and friends are all that we have to offer right now.

Mark Gosdin
Takamachi Ryoko

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 6:49 am Reply with quote
I'm a Doraemon fan and it was part of my childhood, and I'm torn when I heard of this news. After reading what she has gone through, I really hope she recovers soon.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3