• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
House of 1000 Manga - The Earl and the Fairy

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AEisMe

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 8:16 pm Reply with quote
I admit I'm a shoujo fan, even though I'm firmly in the josei age range. And stories with strong heroines and ne'r do well male leads are my sweet spot. Yes, the manga series needs to be longer and I would love if it were continued! The anime covers a little more story but at only 12 episodes still leaves us hanging. I'm not typically a fan of light novels but I've read a translation and would honestly buy the books if they came out.

I do want to point out that Edgar is actually a little more than a scoundrel, at least at first. spoiler[He was willing to murder Lydia, or use her death to get the sword, in the beginning arc.] But, again, the redemption of the b-stard is a staple of shoujo.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 8:32 pm Reply with quote
^I dunno if most of them go QUITE that far. Anime hyper I'm more used to them just calling the girl silly names and pissing her off for kicks.

Still, the artwork and title have enchanted me for quite some time. I want to watch the anime before I give this manga a look.
Chibi Shoujo

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Man, I haven't read this title since the last volume came out two and a half years ago! I did enjoy it, but wished there would have been more to it. Now that I'm aware it was based on a light novel, I would love to get my hands on copies if they are ever translated.

Also, this:
Quote:
(Viz's decision to translate Prince's name without an article—just “Prince” rather than “the Prince”—allows me to envision him as The Purple One. “I am still Prince's slave.” After “When Doves Cry,” aren't we all, Edgar?)

makes me want to dig out my copies of the manga to read again for a good chuckle Laughing
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Oooh, I missed that when I skimmed the review! That's a riot! Laughing
phoenixalia

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 2:39 am Reply with quote
I loved Earl and Fairy. I wish more Light Novels aimed at females would get anime. I've read some which got manga adaptations and they were fantastic. Sad
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 3:01 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
I want to watch the anime before I give this manga a look.

The anime is kinda flawed but really cute; I quite enjoyed it. And I'm not even a shoujo fan so that's saying something.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 5:56 am Reply with quote
I read "The Earl and the Fairy" manga when it was out and it was interesting. I've gotta admit,it's a pretty weird portrayal of Great Britain. I love to see something like this but set in America with different legends and things from all over the world in this country. Also,it's a shame the anime version of this wasn't dubbed into English. I think it would have been really great. I hope they do that someday.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 4:52 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Chiibi wrote:
I want to watch the anime before I give this manga a look.

The anime is kinda flawed but really cute; I quite enjoyed it. And I'm not even a shoujo fan so that's saying something.

I know; your interest in it kind of peaked mine even higher. Anime hyper
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1