• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Mamoru Oshii Shares Thoughts on Drones, Friendship, Social Networking

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Tomino, Miyazaki, Anno, and Oshii. The Grumpy Old Anime Directors Club.

I still want those live-action Patlabor movies over here, damn it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Interesting hearing his honest thoughts on all that. I have to think of social media like a job for me to check it at all, and am never pleased by it. In this sense I find agreement with him. Though I'm here posting my thoughts on a forum so I guess I do appreciate some feedback.
jdnation

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Social media is great if say you have friends or family you want to keep in touch with who are far away.

Many people travel or are immigrants, so they want to touch base with people they knew.

It also connects people with shared interests, whether politics, religion, hobbies etc.

I think it can be taken too far, but overall it's a useful tool and it's usage or abuse is all in the hands of those who use it.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 4:23 pm Reply with quote
I'm sure he uses anime/manga to draw the friends he doesn't have, then kill them.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 4:36 pm Reply with quote
quoting Oshii Mamoru, ANN wrote:
As a result, Oshii doesn't understand the modern fascination with social networking. "I don't want to have conversations with people I don't know, and I send almost no mail. There are maybe five people who know my address... I personally don't understand the desire to be connected, but I can imagine it. It's probably because they're anxious."

Yeah, I can understand that logic. da internez b sccry palce.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 5:14 pm Reply with quote
As someone who has been bashed frequently on other websites in the past, I understand why Mr. Oshii-san would be fearful of social networking.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 5:34 pm Reply with quote
I know friends that seem to grow quite anxious if they don't go out with friends several times a week. Meanwhile I am fine getting out once or twice a month. Everybody is somewhere on the Introvert/Extrovert scale. It isn't binary, and you can be brilliant no matter what way you lean.
Madoka...AYUKAWA!

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Social networking finds is allure mainly in people trying to draw attention in many ways, it goes from friendless people trying to find some connection, people trying to appear cool, find acceptance, cause envy in others, etc etc etc etc, all those that make moderate to heavy use want that in small or higher doses. Some not even realizing that is why they love them so much.

One of the main allures of the internet in the past was the anonymity.

Social networking came to change all that, why? You cannot find the above at all if you are anonymous, hence why most people in social network post their real names, photos of themselves, family and friends.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 7:09 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

I dunno, I felt from reading this interview that Oshii was the least curmudgeonly of them all. He didn't really said he hated anything, just that this stuff wasn't for him.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Both FB and Twitter are a mistake, because it has made a lot of people stupid and narcissistic as a result not to mention, thinking for themselves has been thrown out the window, however there are better platforms like Line which are nowhere near as bad. I don't mind drones at all (and like them in most cases) but it should be illegal to have cameras on them or for them to be armed by anyone short of the military as they can be abused too easily, that drone landing on Abe's office was hilarious act of protest though.
Vent

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 10:47 pm Reply with quote
gotta love that implication that because people are into something he's not, it's due to a personality defect of some kind
Vizo

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 12:24 am Reply with quote
Vent wrote:
gotta love that implication that because people are into something he's not, it's due to a personality defect of some kind

I can't imagine why this guy doesn't have any friends.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 1:49 am Reply with quote
I think he is like many who value and cultivate depth in interpersonal relationships and is somewhat emotionally sensitive. Thus, the superficiality of social media is not attractive, as is the rampant trolling. I'll bet he actually has one or two good friends and just doesn't have the kind of "friends" who can't talk about important issues or engage in intellectual discourse. Cell phones and e-mail work just fine for connecting. And about drones, just don't sunbathe naked in the backyard and wave nicely. If you want to make a point, wait until they get in range and use a shotgun.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 4:36 am Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

I dunno, I felt from reading this interview that Oshii was the least curmudgeonly of them all. He didn't really said he hated anything, just that this stuff wasn't for him.

So Tomino, Miyazaki and Anno then. Couldn't they be more like Otomo, you never hear him complaining.

Then again Tomino and Miyazaki are Baby Boomers, the most stuck up and self-important generation there currently is.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 5:44 am Reply with quote
None of his answers surprised me if you consider his cold movies/manga. That man is a shippers worst nightmare! That original Drone story is crazy though (irradiated sand!) and i occasionally see some of these flying around even here. The future is truly here.
Will i be as grumpy as the mentioned trio in 30 years? 100% yes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2