• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
CyberConnect2 CEO: We Work Hard for All Who Wait for More .hack

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nyren

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 6:45 pm Reply with quote
In other words there is still hope for more DotHack games and assorted media. Great!
Shar Aznabull

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully this somehow leads to at least putting the older games on PSN. .hack's always been a franchise that I've been interested in but the secondhand prices for the games are just a bit too much for me.
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 8:16 pm Reply with quote
That's great news. I'm a huge .hack fan, owning most of the stuff that has been released in North America including all of the manga, all of the novels, and multiple formats of the various anime incarnations. I even just finished rewatching .hack//sign and currently going through .hack//Root on Funimation.com again. So the idea of a return to .hack, even if as an HD remakes of the originals, is pretty exciting.

However, we were completely ignored on .hack//LINK and .hack//Versus / .hack//The Movie so I have a little trouble getting my hopes up that any new project, whatever it might be, will find its way over here either.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nyren

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
That's great news. I'm a huge .hack fan, owning most of the stuff that has been released in North America including all of the manga, all of the novels, and multiple formats of the various anime incarnations. I even just finished rewatching .hack//sign and currently going through .hack//Root on Funimation.com again. So the idea of a return to .hack, even if as an HD remakes of the originals, is pretty exciting.

However, we were completely ignored on .hack//LINK and .hack//Versus / .hack//The Movie so I have a little trouble getting my hopes up that any new project, whatever it might be, will find its way over here either.

Emerje
Well you can't really fault them for .hack//The Movie/Versus because it was a combo pack. Buy one you get the other. You can't even find Versus being sold separately on Ebay. I think they're actually on the same disc if I remember correctly.

The movie would have to be licensed first, which would probably be Funimation, and last I checked they don't have any games to their name. If they grabbed one they'd have to get the other, and I doubt they'd go for that since they seemingly haven't yet. They grabbed everything, but the movie.
FlamingFirewire

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Hoping somehow that Bandai Namco can get .hack//Link released here in English somehow - there is a fan patch in progress, but maybe if Summon Night 5 does well for Gaijinworks they might also release .hack//Link as their next game project from Bandai Namco.

Honestly, I'd also rather see new games, but I'd be lying if I wouldn't be excited to see the first 4 .hack// games and the 3 G.U. games get their own respective HD collections. Hope this means good news is coming "soon".
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 10:08 pm Reply with quote
.hack//G.U is TEN YEARS OLD?! Wow...I still remember buying it when it first came out here.
Mizuki-Takashima

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 10:34 pm Reply with quote
I'd love it if they put all of the PS2 games on PSN somehow! I also think it'd be great if G.U. got an HD release! <3

As for a remake, I think it would be really cool if the original .hack games got a remake. I remember one of the problems that people had with those games was "you're basically buying the same exact game 4 times just to see the whole story!" but nowadays I'm sure they could make it a bit more compact with less padding. (I like dungeon crawling as much as the next person, but I felt like they took up way too much time!)

If they did remake the originals, I'd still want them to keep the full story and anime-like visuals in tact. I don't know how I would feel if they went for the Disney-esque style like they did in .hack//The Movie. (the scenes when they were in-game reminded me more like a Disney film, which isn't bad, but I don't know if I would play a .hack game that looked like that)

I'd be cautiously optimistic if we got a new .hack game all together. The franchise's continuity is already kind of all over the place, and as others have said I don't know if a "new" .hack game would even make it over here state-side...but it would be kind of exciting to see where they'd take the series.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 12:11 am Reply with quote
Mizuki-Takashima wrote:
As for a remake, I think it would be really cool if the original .hack games got a remake. I remember one of the problems that people had with those games was "you're basically buying the same exact game 4 times just to see the whole story!" but nowadays I'm sure they could make it a bit more compact with less padding. (I like dungeon crawling as much as the next person, but I felt like they took up way too much time!)

The story was solid though. I especially liked GU. The ending of the second GU game... I was so pissed having to wait for the final one.

Sadly the combat was pretty lame, and as you said the dungeon crawls took up way too much time.
Mizuki-Takashima

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 12:16 am Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
Mizuki-Takashima wrote:

The story was solid though. I especially liked GU. The ending of the second GU game... I was so pissed having to wait for the final one.

Sadly the combat was pretty lame, and as you said the dungeon crawls took up way too much time.

Yeah I love the story too! That's why I said that I want them to keep the story in tact Smile But I also think they padded it out with too many lengthy dungeon crawls.

I think one of the things that makes dungeon crawling fun in an actual MMO is that you also get to converse with friends while you're doing it, so it doesn't feel like that much of a grind. But in a video game...it's fun to read the little word bubbles when your party members are talking, but you can't really hold a conversation with them.
Juno016

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 1:32 am Reply with quote
I'm a HUGE .hack fan, having just about every guide and magazine from Japan, and of course every game, anime, manga, and film. And I play Guilty Dragon regularly... kinda. I hadn't touched it in a week. Bad timing for that, since I might've missed Monday's login bonus...
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 12:39 pm Reply with quote
HD ports would be great and all but a new game in the series would be even better!

Emerje wrote:

Well //LINK was a late psp game when the psp in NA was pretty much dead. And frankly, it wasn't a very good game by comparison to the first 4 and GU. As for the //VERSUS and Movie, they came as a bundle, so there was no way to get //VERSUS over here without the movie. Why the movie was not licensed I don't know, but Funimation still might one day.

TsukasaElkKite wrote:
.hack//G.U is TEN YEARS OLD?! Wow...I still remember buying it when it first came out here.

I know right!! I remember seeing ads in SJ for Vol. 1 Rebirth and going to BestBuy a week later to buy it!! That was 9 years ago, which blows my mind!!
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 1:31 pm Reply with quote
I'm impressed they're even acknowledging the U.S. loves .hack. The series hasn't had much of a foothold here in the last few years due to us getting skipped over for some entries. Kite and Blackrose appearing in Project X Zone was a nice touch at least, and Kite teaming up with Haseo for the sequel will probably be something fans will talk about. We can only wait and see what comes next.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1