• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Pixels Film's 2nd Trailer Streamed

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Haiyami

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Hey these games are still relevant. I still see indie games made in 8-bit and 16-bit. Games like call of duty, gears of war or metal gear solid don't set the standard for what's still relevant. A good game can be still fun without pretty, modern graphics. Plus these games are a part of history and still fun to play.

I am still going to see this movie. This look really funny and I remember playing these games as a kid. Anyone born in 80's is going to love the references.

But I wonder if RocketJump is getting any royalties. Because I thought this concept was thought up first by the YouTube channel RocketJump. I remember seeing something very similar to this a few years back.
Jex2193

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 7:52 pm Reply with quote
I still think this movie is gonna bomb and no one will convince me otherwise (ok, maaaaaaaaaaaaybe when it actually comes out and if a ton of people like it, but not until then).
ScienceNinjaTeam

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 8:31 pm Reply with quote
I didn't say anything about a game having to be gears of war to be relevant, why would you think that's what i meant? and you said it yourself, indie games made in 8-bit and 16-bit. these are even older than that. i just think that people outside of the game industry need to realize that Pac-Man and Donkey Kong while important to the history of video games are hardly as important as they think they are anymore and kinda just pander. they just always drag out the same old Atari age games. i just think its time to update. sure they are nostalgic, but i just think they are mostly nostalgic to people who stopped playing games in the early 80's before Nintendo and Sega took over and innovated.
Key

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Think you might want to move that time frame back several years. Nintendo and Sega didn't really start revamping the market until the very late '80s.

And yes, games like Pac-Man and Donkey Kong might not be as relevant to those in their mid-20s or younger, but I guarantee that Pixels is not (primarily) aimed at them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ScienceNinjaTeam

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 8:51 pm Reply with quote
uh yeah that's why i said before Nintendo and Sega. the Atari crash happened in 1983 that's early 80's. I am not 20 something, I was born in the 70's and played Pac-Man when it was new. i am just saying that every time some person outside of the game industry wants to make something relevant to games they drag out these old tropes that have been long overshadowed by much bigger and more innovative games and characters. Being first isn't always best. but whatever just my opinion.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 12:57 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Think you might want to move that time frame back several years. Nintendo and Sega didn't really start revamping the market until the very late '80s.

And yes, games like Pac-Man and Donkey Kong might not be as relevant to those in their mid-20s or younger, but I guarantee that Pixels is not (primarily) aimed at them.

Basically, "If you're old enough to find Adam Sandler and an angry midget funny, you're too young to have ever played Donkey Kong". Laughing
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 6:10 am Reply with quote
Dave and Busters still has Pac-Man for 4-players on a big screen.

It makes sense within the Pixels movie though, since NASA sent the rocket containing the info about Earth into space way back in 1982, and it takes time for the time capsule to encounter an alien.

Modern video games are working to get their own movies though, including Metal Gear Solid, Warcraft, Assassin's Creed, etc. Lara Croft, Prince of Persia, Biohazard / Resident Evil, Need for Speed, etc. movies were already released.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2