• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Unpopular anime opinions.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 12:47 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
Personally, I didn't completely care for the ending of the show either. It comes right the hell out of nowhere. Plus, something that always bugged me. It's always said that Human Transmutation is a taboo and that alchemists should always just accept the loss of human life. Good moral. It applies even in real life. We shouldn't bother trying to play god.

With that in mind... FMA 2003's major flaw in my opinion, is this: spoiler[ED AND AL SOLVE THEIR FINAL PROBLEM AT THE END OF THE SHOW THROUGH HUMAN TRANSMUTATION!] How can the writers of this brilliant show not see that this is breaking their own moral? Human transmutation is bad, unless it's the series finale?

SERIOUSLY ALL OF THIS.

I really enjoyed the first two-thirds of the 2003 series. After that....after it derailed from the manga....ugh, it was such an ass-pull from the writers. I was really disappointed. If you just merged 03 and Brotherhood in the middle, you'd have something pretty amazing.
louis6578

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 12:55 pm Reply with quote
^

Gotta disagree. I loved 2003 up until the ending. It wasn't as though I disliked the fight with Sloth or Wrath's entire character. I loved that stuff. Sure, it got confusing from time to time and Bradley was way cooler in Brotherhood, but the anime was good enough that the ending bumps it down one point from "Masterpiece" to "Excellent."
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 7:42 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
With that in mind... FMA 2003's major flaw in my opinion, is this: spoiler[ED AND AL SOLVE THEIR FINAL PROBLEM AT THE END OF THE SHOW THROUGH HUMAN TRANSMUTATION!] How can the writers of this brilliant show not see that this is breaking their own moral? Human transmutation is bad, unless it's the series finale?
Wait - what are you referring to here? Al spoiler[getting a human body? Shou Tucker already showed us it was possible to create a soulless body - explicitly pointing out the soul was the dangerous part - and that was all Al needed; attach him to it and you're A-OK. If you mean Ed essentially bringing him back, remember that's why Ed wound up on the other side of the gate: trading his existence for Al's, which is a bit that's been done a thousand times over. As for why it was "other side" and not wherever dead souls go in that universe? I can't think of a logical explanation there, but everything prior seems to check out].
louis6578

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 3:34 am Reply with quote
^

You seem to think I mean that this is some sort of plot hole. I'm referring to thematically. I know that it makes sense within the show's logic, but human transmutation, thematically, is supposed to be Ed and Al's huge mistake. To have them solve their problems with it betrays the point of the show.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 12:59 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
^

You seem to think I mean that this is some sort of plot hole. I'm referring to thematically. I know that it makes sense within the show's logic, but human transmutation, thematically, is supposed to be Ed and Al's huge mistake. To have them solve their problems with it betrays the point of the show.

The mistake is that they tried to transmute a bunch of components into their Mother. At the end, Ed transmuted *himself* to get Al back. And even then, they didn't end up together, but with Ed on the other side.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Whatever guys, it's still a sucky, crappy ending. Can we not just leave it at that?
louis6578

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
louis6578 wrote:
^

The mistake is that they tried to transmute a bunch of components into their Mother. At the end, Ed transmuted *himself* to get Al back. And even then, they didn't end up together, but with Ed on the other side.

I get what you're saying, but the theme is "there is no equivalent exchange when it comes to creating/reviving life." They change it from that to "Human transmutation is possible if you do it in the right way and sacrifice the right stuff." That's incorrect given the theme of the show. Sure, it makes sense in its own way and it's not a plot hole, but it's a terrible way to follow up the beautiful theme. It's like if Vash started killing people in Trigun because he got fed up with getting scarred from letting his enemies live. Sure, it makes sense, but it goes against the theme (if the show/manga portrays his actions righteously).
Polycell

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 9:59 pm Reply with quote
You might be thinking about things wrong: ultimately, what Ed and Al were guilty of was hubris and trying to play God. Neither of those two come into play at the end: all their actions are done humbly and more-or-less within the limits already established.
louis6578

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
You might be thinking about things wrong: ultimately, what Ed and Al were guilty of was hubris and trying to play God. Neither of those two come into play at the end: all their actions are done humbly and more-or-less within the limits already established.

Trying to play God by doing what exactly...? Attempting to bring humans back from the dead. I suppose we interpret the meaning differently, but that doesn't stop me from feeling let down from that aspect of the ending.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 11:18 am Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
I get what you're saying, but the theme is "there is no equivalent exchange when it comes to creating/reviving life." They change it from that to "Human transmutation is possible if you do it in the right way and sacrifice the right stuff." That's incorrect given the theme of the show. Sure, it makes sense in its own way and it's not a plot hole, but it's a terrible way to follow up the beautiful theme. It's like if Vash started killing people in Trigun because he got fed up with getting scarred from letting his enemies live. Sure, it makes sense, but it goes against the theme (if the show/manga portrays his actions righteously).

Well, if you don't feel that Ed's sacrifice was a qualitatively different thing than what had been done up to that point, then I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. I think the self-sacrifice that he displayed (and displayed throughout the show) is what allowed his attempt to work. I don't think it is runs counter to the tenor of the show at all -- quite the opposite: I think it is a culmination of what Ed and Al were about as well as their improved understanding of themselves and the world.
Set1229

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 5:19 pm Reply with quote
I find Key The Metal Idol to be a very comforting OVA, simply because I can relate to Key's awkwardness in some ways.
WickedHate

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
'Persona 3' was more deserving of a full anime series than 'Persona 4'- The characters were more likable, the comedy wasn't groan-worthy, and the plot wasn't fueled by the characters being too dumb to live. With how poorly-paced P4 was, it would have benefited more from being a movie and get its stupid scenes cut. Would people honestly miss the boys getting puked on by their hungover teacher, all that BS at the school festival, and the *bleep*-ing Hot Spring scene that almost made me ragequit the game because it showed how detestable these characters are?

I feel like Persona 3 is a lot more dark and grim, and in my opinion, that makes for a perfect series of movies, there's a lot of tightness to it that makes it easy to focus on and keep a consistant tone for shorter periods of time.

Persona 4 is cool because of all silliness. It's as much the average lives of these teenagers as it is anything else(arguably more so, in fact) so it's a funny slice of life 60% of the time. Conversely, Persona 3's meat is the major plot stuff.
Brook-Gomamon

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 5:58 pm Reply with quote
I thought G.I. Joe Sigma 6 was a good show. It was action-packed, well animated, and it had characters that were cool. My personal favorite for no reason might have been Long Range. I have no idea why.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 5:47 pm Reply with quote
hehe.....

NanohaxYuuno is a much cuter ship than NanohaxFate.

.......................if you never see Chiibi post again, it's because yuri fans saw this and murdered her in cold blood in her own house.
Parse Error

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
if you never see Chiibi post again, it's because yuri fans saw this and murdered her in cold blood in her own house.

No, it would have to be outdoors so that we wouldn't die of carbon monoxide poisoning while burning you at the stake. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 42 of 84