• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Mikagura School Suite (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Justaway

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:20 pm Reply with quote
So... first in Black Lagoon a Bulgarian pissed off the Chinese and got his face kicked in. And now a girl's stockings smell like a Bulgarian rose. This is how my country is represented in anime. xD
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 1:38 am Reply with quote
Episode 5

I think one thing I have enjoyed past just being tough rivalry is how Eruna becomes friends with the people around her. Like her with the drama club members, and I thought the bit with the flower arranging club guy to be very entertaining for how offbeat he is. And that Eruna's energy is starting to rub off on Seisa. Also art guy too with how he is a sweetie despite his looks, Seisa knows it and Eruna knows too.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 11:19 am Reply with quote
Episode 6:

That's right, girl. You show them how it's done.
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Not bad Eruna...

spoiler[I am kinda disappointed that she didn't make it far after her win against Tonkyun] though. However at the same time, it looks like spoiler[Otone] is a real threat here based on that ending. I wonder what her story is.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Okay, here's a screencap of the last scene from Episode 6.

Here's the same scene, from the music video...

from the novel...

and from the manga.

I don't know why I thought it was necessary to save all these pictures to my computer, but I figured I might as well share them in case someone else finds this interesting.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 2:43 am Reply with quote
Episode 6

I thought that it was pretty interesting that it was the spoiler[other guy who managed to get revenge against the person who embarrassed their friend], rather than spoiler[leaving it to the main character]. And that the main character, Eruna, spoiler[lost off screen, It shows that she is tough but not unbeatable, and that rather than feel down by watching her lose, we feel it was a stepping stone that may not be incredibly necessary for her goals].

I liked Eruna's spoiler[cards saying that she was looking for cute girl members], it was totally her. And things seem to hint that the mysterious girl spoiler[will join her].
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 1:05 am Reply with quote
Episode 7

So we are introduced to Otone Fujishiro, and she has an interesting personality. She is kind of spoiler[scary and aggressive, but it is apparently a defense mechanism she has when she gets bashful], kind of to a point that puts tsunderes to shame in the spoiler[difference in personality]. Eruna might just be the perfect fit to bring her out.

Although, actually how deep spoiler[her dark personality goes is also a question, from her trying to brainwash Bimii to improve her record], and then spoiler[aggressively throwing him when found it is pointless]. Poor Bimii. But I found her very funny, and a perfect match for Eruna in spoiler[weirdness and stuck in her own world].

Also, I am totally convinced that Himi is far smarter than she acts, that spoiler[the birthday suit] was her being totally sarcastic.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 8:33 pm Reply with quote
I posted in the Episode Review talkback thread about my disappointment with this episode. On a happier note, though, I'd like to take this opportunity to state that I think Otone Fujishiro is an amazing character.

From a Class-S archetype perspective, I see Seisa as Eruna's Sachiko:

while Otone is Eruna's Touko:

They're both over-the-top, high-maintenance Yuri-love-interest stereotypes... I'm sure Eruna couldn't be more thrilled at this point. Laughing
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 2:20 am Reply with quote
Episode 8

I found particularly funny was spoiler[Mecha Bimii], "you can spoiler[drink from the faucet outside].". And then he spoiler[turned into some sort of Kaiju] Laughing. Also the retro video game thing at the beginning, I usually like that sort of thing and anime, and I laughed that spoiler[upon the battle with the maid the indicator went to "run" before changing to "flirt"], so Eruna.

Eruna is excellent at making friends, and it feels like one of those things they feel like your friend too. But it also seems that Seisa has become a spoiler[bit jealous that Eruna does not always need her, that she treats other people the same way].
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:10 am Reply with quote
Episode 9

Waiting for them to decide to name the club to be some sort of friendship helping club since that seems to be what it is perfect for, despite the current problems. Otone openly acting on what she shares with Seisa in wanting to keep a good friend, but need to know that Eruna won't abandon them.

I had a feeling that we would have Bimii being the next person.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:48 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

This series strongest aspect is definitely its energy, in the face of ploy, animation or other aspects, this series really is a winner at passing that high energy fun making onto the audience.

The final battle was epic, but clearly you could point to other anime that things animated so much better, but to me it really does not matter. Seeing Eruna and Seisa become blurs as they "ignore physics" all the while they have big smiles on their face, it exudes fun. Just as there was the corny act of the drama club pretending to kidnap Kyouma, even gives an uncharacteristically loud yell for help. The show said that the execution is not always as important as it is to completely have fun, and that all these oddballs were great friends. I said before that the show kind of makes it feel like Eruna's friends are your friends, and I still feel that and think that can be harder than it sounds.

So Mikagura School Suite tells you to be a bit of an idiot, let loose, be a bit reckless, enjoy yourself and the company of others. I honestly feel that this has been a fun ride that took what it had and made it work, and I think Eruna really was a star. Hmm, I have not really thought about it, but what else has Eruna's VA worked on? Interesting, she has mostly only done small roles, except for...... Aoi from Shirobako, which was a very quality show. Might pay more attention to future work by Juri Kimura.

Anyway, I will rate it as Very good, yes it is held back by some technical aspects, but I can say this was fun. It was the type of show that such things as the OP can make me smile and try to sing along with. "Say Yeah! Yeah"..... "Bada ba da ba!"
"Be Happy!"
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2