• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Lupin III Show to Launch with Lupin's Wedding to New Beauty

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 12:27 am Reply with quote
Hope they spring for this trite Motown song. Cool
vanfanel

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 6:38 am Reply with quote
I've never been a huge Lupin fan outside of "Castle of Cagliostro" and a handful of other films ("Fuma Conspiracy" is another good one), but man! The look of this new series is just outstanding! I've rarely seen a classic series' look modernized this well. Love the character designs, and the images we've been shown so far are wonderfully composed.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 6:46 am Reply with quote
It's Fujiko in disguise!
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 7:42 am Reply with quote
While the only full Lupin series I've seen is that series with Fujiko as the star, I think Fujiko is as close to Lupin's true love as there could be.

On the wedding part, I agree on there being some catch since it would mess up Lupin's womanizing behavior.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 10:38 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Hope they spring for this trite Motown song. Cool

That IS trite--This isn't a John Hughes movie. Wink

(Besides, everything about Lupin suggests "Rat Pack".)
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 10:49 am Reply with quote
Well, this is an interesting turn of events. But there has to be a catch to it.
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 11:07 am Reply with quote
Lord Dcast wrote:
Stark700 wrote:
Mm, she does look pretty by the her character designs. Looks like Lupin's life is about to get much more fun in this season. Laughing

Indeed. It'll be strange to see the reaction from Fujiko. I don't think it'll lead to a love triangle, because this is Lupin III after all. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out...

knowing him, he's gonna piss off both of him with his perversity.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
yamiangie

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
While the only full Lupin series I've seen is that series with Fujiko as the star, I think Fujiko is as close to Lupin's true love as there could be.

On the wedding part, I agree on there being some catch since it would mess up Lupin's womanizing behavior.

It's harder to marry into the Lupin family than you think, his grandfather had a love interest every story.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 1:45 pm Reply with quote
yamiangie wrote:
Kadmos1 wrote:

It's harder to marry into the Lupin family than you think, his grandfather had a love interest every story.

So did Lupin III in the manga. "Fujiko" was just a generic name used for the busty babes he ran into from time to time. There was no one single "Fujiko" until later when Monkey Punch gave up trying to come up with new women for Lupin to practically sexually assault.

Yeah, the original manga is, as the kids now say, problematic.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
anddo

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 3:43 pm Reply with quote
This is the first time we see a blue-jacket Lupin (and for that matter, a red trenchcoat Zenigata). Seems like a fresh take on the characters.
FinfoxAelia

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 3:52 pm Reply with quote
I have a feeling there's going to be death knells not long after the wedding bells. Hope I'm wrong though.

penguintruth wrote:
Yeah, the original manga is, as the kids now say, problematic.

Everything seems to be "problematic" these days.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 4:57 pm Reply with quote
FinfoxAelia wrote:
Everything seems to be "problematic" these days.

I tend to think it's "these days" that are problematic.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Is it required for me to have seen any of the prior series of Lupin III before watching this? I'm guessing the answer is yes, but I just want to be sure. Regardless, I really need to finally get around to watching Castle of Cagliostro (then again, I'm not sure if that stands on its own either).

I must say, that art and animation is very nice. It makes me pretty happy to see that a classic anime franchise seemingly didn't feel the need to "modernize" its style just to appeal to today's audience's expectations. Right now I'm mainly thinking about the new Digimon series, and how its updated character designs just look so typical of modern anime. I want more of this out of my anime. The almost storybook-esque design is what really grabs me. Perfect for Lupin's type of signature adventures, I'd assume.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Jayhosh wrote:
Is it required for me to have seen any of the prior series of Lupin III before watching this? I'm guessing the answer is yes, but I just want to be sure. Regardless, I really need to finally get around to watching Castle of Cagliostro (then again, I'm not sure if that stands on its own either).

Pretty much every Lupin III anime stands alone. Even if there was a little continuity between features, the viewer is brought up to speed.

Heck, while Daisuke Jigen's Gravestone was kind of a sequel to The Woman Called Fujiko Mine, you really didn't need to watch the Fujiko show to watch it.

Lupin has very little continuity and the characters don't really age, either.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Jayhosh wrote:

Cagliostro is one of the first anime most people ever see, period, even before many of the other Miyazakis--
It puts a nice G-rated spin on Lupin, which sanitized Miyazaki view may make it a little bit of an adjustment to the green and red series: In Cagliostro, there's a joke where Lupin thinks "Must...control...hands..." after the heroine hugs him (the series version would never be burdened with such control), and in Miyazaki's world, Fujiko is a cute, clever, resourceful secret agent, and not a calculating, backstabbing professional golddigger.
Oh, and the animation style's a bit...........better than the Monkey Punch style done for the manga and series.

But as intros go, it's pretty good.
And Zenigata was on his own for most of the TV episodes, and never got those Miyazaki-trademark thousands-swarms of backup cops in the episodes that Hayao didn't direct.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3