• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Anime Studios' Success Calculated Based on 10 Years of Disc Sales

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
macattack

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Holy crap, no wonder Kyoto Animation's projects keep looking so great, then. Their stuff continues to sell and they obviously pick their projects carefully.
Setsura1

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 9:34 pm Reply with quote
If anime ever stops being made then I might as well end myself right then and there.
Aquamine-Amarine

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 9:37 pm Reply with quote
I just thought of this, but doesn't the success of anime also depend on which manga (or light novel, game, etc.) the studio decides to adapt? The more popular the original material is, the more popular the anime will be, right?

...unless fillers kill it. In which case, you deserve to be on that list Satelight.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Lots goes into deciding what to animate, but unless all of the current and soon-to-be fans stop buying, why the fear of some collapse? Sure it could happen eventually, but it seems so unlikely unless Japan's economy falls apart and no one has any disposable income.
Zoneflare

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 9:41 pm Reply with quote
wow if JC staff had animated more Index and Railgun they might have moved up the chart a bit.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Wow, Kyoto really does have the Midas touch. I wonder which two of its titles didn't crack the 3,000 mark? Tamako Market is probably one of them. Anyone know how Hyouka and Amagi Brilliant Park did?
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 9:53 pm Reply with quote
This to be honest doesn't really mean much given how the animation studio doesn't really affect the quality of a show outside of animation except for a very select few, such as KyoAni. Typically the studio is simply hired and the production committee chose the director and person doing series composition.

And disc sales aren't purely what make something successful. It can require merchandise, a boost to light novel/manga sales, etc. Ever notice how many shows that sold like crap on disc got another season? But sometimes those things are irrelevant.

Let's take like say Tokyo Ghoul. Shueisha was NOT on the production committee, so the huge boost to the manga sales meant hardly anything.

If you want to TRULY know how successful something actually is, take into account what everyone on the production committee does. Sometimes disc sales will matter, sometimes the manga/LN boost will, other times they won't. TV ratings can matter for late-night anime (Hey there NTV-produced shows), other times not.

On another note regarding this chart, how are they taking into account split-cour shows and the like? Without the list of shows, the context becomes more blurry.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Kyoani sells well most of the time, A-1 is doing good as well. DEEN should stop adapting shoujo, no wonder they have a lot of flops, shoujo anime doesn't sell well, although they did make Jewelpet enjoyable for me again. Sunrise's 9th studio should be on the chopping block, it's a complete failure.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Wow, Kyoto really does have the Midas touch. I wonder which two of its titles didn't crack the 3,000 mark? Tamako Market is probably one of them. Anyone know how Hyouka and Amagi Brilliant Park did?

Hyouka averaged 10k. Amagi has two more volumes to go, but right now it's averaging 6.5k over 5 volumes.

Tamako's total average was 3811
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 10:02 pm Reply with quote
The other title for KyoAni must have been Munto. No one remembers Munto.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 10:04 pm Reply with quote
the other kyoani show that sold worse than tamako market was so bad we don't even remember which show it was.
Swiftyy

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Nichijou sold pretty bad if I remember correctly?
Tempest_Wing

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 10:05 pm Reply with quote
[quote="ShanaFan852"]This to be honest doesn't really mean much given how the animation studio doesn't really affect the quality of a show outside of animation except for a very select few, such as KyoAni. Typically the studio is simply hired and the production committee chose the director and person doing series composition.

If that were true though, then the success rate of these companies would be at parity with each other. In other words, if the animation studios really don't affect the quality of a show then how are the first 15 studios listed, the least successful? Are they just that unlucky? There would have had to have been a concerted effort for only 17 out of 65 animes released by Studio Deen for example to be successful, if what you're saying is true.
Gasero

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Now I'm curious to know if any of the numbers are a result of marketing or if it is all studio quality animation.

Ironically I can recognize many of the failing studios, but only a couple of the successful studio names.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 10:06 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
No one remembers Munto.

Then I must be the exception, since I watched both movies of Munto a while back within the last year.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7