• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese Animation DVD Ranking, May 23–29

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:39 pm Reply with quote
A lot of quality titles on that list, I really like to have that Gundam Evolve DVD. For shorts there still pretty impressive and could show what an all CG movie could be like for Gundam. Too bad about Paprika I was hoping that it would be on the top spot, I guess Code Geass is bigger than the clamp designs.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:30 am Reply with quote
Paprika: the Japanese otaku aren't into "artsy" anime as Westerners are - they (the Japanese) have nothing more to prove.

BTW, even Akira Kurosawa had difficulty funding his movies in Japan late in his career. Seemed the West appreciate his films more than his own countrymen.
DKL

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:29 am Reply with quote
Actually, I was under the impression that Kon's movies were more for mainstream audiences than anime fans, if anything.

In fact, I think I recall him saying in an interview somewhere (I think it was with the New York Times) that he makes broad-appeal movies/works, but people have this tendency to treat his stuff as art.

That's not to say that he isn't great (or that his works lacks this semblance of intelligence behind it), but I thought that that insight was interesting (as I was actually under the same impression somewhere down the line... his stuff IS extremely watchable, after all).
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:06 pm Reply with quote
DKL wrote:
Actually, I was under the impression that Kon's movies were more for mainstream audiences than anime fans, if anything.

Ah, but it's the Japanese otaku who typically** buy the loads of anime DVDs, and thus the Japanese Animation DVD Rankings reflect the otakus' taste, not the mainstream.

(** Exceptions include Ghibli films and children's shows that parents buy for their kids.)
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:07 pm Reply with quote
DKL wrote:

He doesn't seem to make his films for anime fans. If anything, they come off as being very anti-otaku. Of course, that doesn't help when the films don't seem to have any actual mainstream appeal. Guess it's only popular with art house cinema fans in Japan.
MissAsako

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:19 pm Reply with quote
YAY FOR NODAME!
Everytime I see it up there as the #1 DVD, I get all excited.
This might increase its chance to be dubbed.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:33 pm Reply with quote
So, what happened exactly to cause Laputa and Totoro to be on this list? It seems a bit odd to me that such older movies would suddenly jump up, unless there was a marketing push or something like that going on.

Nice to see Nodame up there, even if I personally don't care that much for the anime.
kokuryu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:11 am Reply with quote
Cool, always love seeing Kiki's or Totoro on a list - two of my favorites!
chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:25 am Reply with quote
I absolutely hated the first part 5 Centmeters Per Second, it was like a very lame version of the director's previous works. It was like a tame otaku's love story, nerdy and with cheezy romance. It reminded me of Kanon's sad girls theme except this time was sad boy in snow. Is the rest of the movie better?

Shrek and Shrek 2 for 30$, that's a very good deal. Lilo and Stitch was an excellent theatre movie, but all the adaptation following the main movie were very cheap and lost the emotion and charm of the original.
KAtchan15

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:46 am Reply with quote
I'm really excited about byousoku 5 centimeter too. Seeing that it's doing pretty well over there, glad that it's been licensed here.
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:37 am Reply with quote
what does this chart emcompass? i'm just curious, cause i saw another Oricon chart today that had Gurren Lagann DVD 1 as the highest selling anime dvd right now.

EDIT nevermind, it's for this week
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Leroy & Stitch? I didn't know that little Hawaiian girls could get a sex change operation!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:24 pm Reply with quote
YotaruVegeta wrote:
Leroy & Stitch? I didn't know that little Hawaiian girls could get a sex change operation!

You're thinking of the original 2002 Lilo & Stich movie. This is the 2006 Leroy & Stitch television movie.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:33 am Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
A lot of quality titles on that list, I really like to have that Gundam Evolve DVD. For shorts there still pretty impressive and could show what an all CG movie could be like for Gundam. Too bad about Paprika I was hoping that it would be on the top spot, I guess Code Geass is bigger than the clamp designs.

I wish that the three Evolve DVDs were released as one 2 hour DVD. The total cost of buying all three seems a bit steep per minute. I suppose I'll pick it up if there is ever a box set release, a HD release, or a R1 release.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:26 pm Reply with quote
LEEEEEEEEEEEEEROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOY JEEEEEEEEEEENKIIIIIIINS!!!!! and stitch.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1