• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Reveals Dragon Ball Z Broly Blu-Ray Details

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Josh7289

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:43 pm Reply with quote
But will it be in widescreen or full screen?

The trailer on the IGN page makes it look like it will be in cropped widescreen. If so, that's another purchase I won't be making. If the movies were presented in their original full screen aspect ratios, I'd definitely be one of the first to buy, but until FUNimation gets their act together regarding these new "remastered" DBZ releases, I'm not buying.
biolizard_alpha

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Scenes from it were shown in the first trailer for the remastered rereleases, so I assume it is
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Josh7289 wrote:

The trailer on the IGN page makes it look like it will be in cropped widescreen..

Keep in mind that this is a movie and it aired in theaters, so it was 'widescreen' to begin with.
coachkaveman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:56 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Josh7289 wrote:

The trailer on the IGN page makes it look like it will be in cropped widescreen..

Keep in mind that this is a movie and it aired in theaters, so it was 'widescreen' to begin with.

Shhhshh...

Don't you know all movies are full screen and then cropped down to wide screen.

Anime smile
Josh7289

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:39 am Reply with quote
coachkaveman wrote:
Shhhshh...

Don't you know all movies are full screen and then cropped down to wide screen.

Anime smile

That actually is the case with DBZ, so in this case, it matters.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:38 am Reply with quote
To be fair on the DBZ movies (as well as a considerable ammount of movies made by companies like Toei), while they were animated at 4:3, it was done as a cost-cutting measure, as they were originally framed to be 16:9, as per theatres. FUNimation however only ever got the 4:3 masters which, if you look closely in some parts, have cut-off animation where it's obvious that the animators said "doesnt matter, no one will be seeing this part anyway".

I mean it's entirely your own prefence, but the 16:9 format for the movies is just as acceptable as the 4:3 ones, even if it is a crop (as it is a crop done for the sake of presentation). The TV series however was always meant to be 4:3 but we wont go in to that.

These MIGHT look okay but it's doubtful if they've gotten the same treatment as far as the TV series 'remastering' goes.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:37 am Reply with quote
So in the end without Steventheeunich's knowledge we'd probably wouldn't have known it. Thanks Steventheeunich. Smile

Boy, DBZ animation is really confusing. Anime dazed
Josh7289

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
To be fair on the DBZ movies (as well as a considerable ammount of movies made by companies like Toei), while they were animated at 4:3, it was done as a cost-cutting measure, as they were originally framed to be 16:9, as per theatres. FUNimation however only ever got the 4:3 masters which, if you look closely in some parts, have cut-off animation where it's obvious that the animators said "doesnt matter, no one will be seeing this part anyway".

Ah, I didn't know that. Do you know where I can find some information on how severe this "cut-off animation" is?

Steventheeunuch wrote:
I mean it's entirely your own prefence, but the 16:9 format for the movies is just as acceptable as the 4:3 ones, even if it is a crop (as it is a crop done for the sake of presentation). The TV series however was always meant to be 4:3 but we wont go in to that.

These MIGHT look okay but it's doubtful if they've gotten the same treatment as far as the TV series 'remastering' goes.

So, I guess it is preference. While I'd like to have the movies available in HD in a full screen aspect ratio (since I could always crop it myself with a zoom function on my TV), I guess it's acceptable if the movies are only available in widescreen.

But as you said, since it now seems to me that the widescreen "issue" may not actually be a real issue with the DBZ movies, it does come down to how "bad" FUNimation's "remastering" is. =/
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Josh7289 wrote:
Ah, I didn't know that. Do you know where I can find some information on how severe this "cut-off animation" is?

Honestly, the only places I can suggest are the Daizenshuu EX forums and the AoD forums and I can't get out specific posts because I simply dont have that sort of time or well... inclination to do it.

I mean, the cutoff animation usually isn't that bad. However, the cropped 20% was fairly negligible in the first place.
the_silent_child

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:44 pm Reply with quote
OH BOY!!! *sarcasm* I wonder how much better it will look though...
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:29 am Reply with quote
the_silent_child wrote:
OH BOY!!! *sarcasm* I wonder how much better it will look though...

Funimation seems to have a lack of theatrical titles where the difference in HD can actually be appreciated although some of the newer Gonzo titles can use better transfers since the SD releases look awful.

I find Sony UK announcements for Advent Children in November and January Blu-Ray releases for Cowboy Bebop, PAPRIKA and Steamboy is more exciting since these films will look really good in HD, and I wouldn't be surprised if we hear announcements for US releases around the same dates.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1