• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Lupin III Show to Launch with Lupin's Wedding to New Beauty

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
azabaro
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Jayhosh wrote:
Is it required for me to have seen any of the prior series of Lupin III before watching this? I'm guessing the answer is yes, but I just want to be sure. Regardless, I really need to finally get around to watching Castle of Cagliostro (then again, I'm not sure if that stands on its own either).

Lupin shows generally don't require you to have seen any other Lupin thing, just have a general idea of who the characters are (Lupin is the daring gentleman thief - more gentlemanly in some incarnations than others, Jigen the former hitman, Fujiko the self-serving seductress, Goemon the samurai with a sword that can cut nearly anything, and Zenigata the tireless Interpol detective perpetually on the trail of Lupin and his gang). In fact, every so often we get a new and contradictory origin story for the Lupin gang and they all work pretty well - "entertaining" is more important than "consistent" for Lupin shows.

Cagliostro stands on its own quite well, as have many of the TV series and other specials. I'm betting this series will do the same.
FinfoxAelia

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Jayhosh wrote:
Is it required for me to have seen any of the prior series of Lupin III before watching this? I'm guessing the answer is yes, but I just want to be sure. Regardless, I really need to finally get around to watching Castle of Cagliostro (then again, I'm not sure if that stands on its own either).

I must say, that art and animation is very nice. It makes me pretty happy to see that a classic anime franchise seemingly didn't feel the need to "modernize" its style just to appeal to today's audience's expectations. Right now I'm mainly thinking about the new Digimon series, and how its updated character designs just look so typical of modern anime. I want more of this out of my anime. The almost storybook-esque design is what really grabs me. Perfect for Lupin's type of signature adventures, I'd assume.

Most Lupin III works have self-contained stories that are plenty enjoyable even with only a cursory knowledge of the characters. I don't have any reason to assume this won't be the same thus far.

Still, I recommend watching other entries before this one anyway. If only because we still don't have a solid airdate for this series. The first television series is my favorite Lupin III series and one of my favorite anime series overall, so I tend to recommend starting there.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 3:29 am Reply with quote
Quote:
She has also worked as a model and an actress, and has become an international "gossip queen" due to rumors of affairs with many celebrities.

Is this set in the present day? Because a celebrity, especially a female celebrity, wouldn't exactly achieve Lovable Rogue status with that kind of reputation.

sirdano1 wrote:
And of course it's a sham wedding, this is Lupin we're talking about. She probably has some priceless something or other he's planning to steal.

I have a feeling that she has something she wants from Lupin.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the responses, guys. Regardless, I have been meaning to check out the original Lupin series and Cagliostro for quite some time now, it's just that I'm a huge procrastinator, so as a result my subconscious is telling me that I won't have seen either of those before this premieres. Only time will tell. Cagliostro is the only Miyazaki film I haven't seen, so of course it's pretty high up on my to-watch list. And the original series, I've heard, is much more violent and mature than subsequent offerings, which makes it the most appealing sounding of them all to me.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Jayhosh wrote:
Thanks for the responses, guys. Regardless, I have been meaning to check out the original Lupin series and Cagliostro for quite some time now, it's just that I'm a huge procrastinator, so as a result my subconscious is telling me that I won't have seen either of those before this premieres. Only time will tell. Cagliostro is the only Miyazaki film I haven't seen, so of course it's pretty high up on my to-watch list. And the original series, I've heard, is much more violent and mature than subsequent offerings, which makes it the most appealing sounding of them all to me.

There's a bunch of Lupin III stuff up on Hulu, maybe you should give some of it a try.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
PowerCZ

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:17 am Reply with quote
Hi guys, in Italy the show was postponed in the fall.

Last edited by PowerCZ on Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Lupin the Third

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:57 pm Reply with quote
PowerCZ wrote:
Hi guys, in Italy the show was postponed in autumn.

A Spanish poster on the Lupin the Third Forums had this to say in reply to what you said:

http://www.lupinencyclopedia.com/forums/index.php/topic,3351.msg34289.html?PHPSESSID=5o3l0l420nmm02eokn9rvi6ka6#new

Quote:

Haven't found anything to back this. However, I have found this statement in Rai TV's official website:
Quote:

The new episodes will be broadcast in Italy (Mediaset) between May and June, in Japan in October.

That should clear some issues by now.
PowerCZ

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:56 am Reply with quote
The show will be aired on Italia 1 (Mediaset), the Rai has nothing to do with Mediaset. This is my source (he works for Mediaset).
Quote:
Lupin in prima visione andrà in onda nella prossima stagione su Italia1.

= Lupin new series will air next season (fall) on Italia 1.
The 'next season' in italy is from September onwards.
I'm Italian and Lupin not yet begun, and there were no ads on TV.
You can check the TV Guide on the website of Mediaset, see the channels tv 'Italia 1' and 'Italia 2' where Mediaset broadcasts anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3