• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: English-Language Broadcasters Pursued for Ghibli/Polygon's Ronia Anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:07 am Reply with quote
So, they the distributor and person helping lead the dub. Now, let's hope we get the the broadcasters and dubbing cast soon.
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:56 am Reply with quote
My best bet for a U.S. English network would probably be Netflix or AMC.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:59 am Reply with quote
I checked out a couple of episodes, and I have to say, such ugly CGI from the normally beautiful Ghibli.

Anyway, I'm surprised this hasn't been broadcast in English already. You know, like a simuldub or something. Does the Ghibli name not have any clout anymore?
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:59 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The company seeking English-language broadcasters.

This sentence no verb.
Omu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:17 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I checked out a couple of episodes, and I have to say, such ugly CGI from the normally beautiful Ghibli.

Still the best looking CGI-Anime I've seen so far. For me Ronia is the best example how it's possible to make use of the advantages of CGI (lower costs and better animation/fluid movements) without making it look too sterile (for example how they used hand-drawn backgrounds).
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:37 am Reply with quote
Omu wrote:
Still the best looking CGI-Anime I've seen so far. For me Ronia is the best example how it's possible to make use of the advantages of CGI (lower costs and better animation/fluid movements) without making it look too sterile (for example how they used hand-drawn backgrounds).

Really, you've never seen Steamboy, the CG is so good half the time you don't even know it is there. Ghibli themselves have had better CG in Princess Mononoke.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

If they do put in on UK TV, I hope they just produce a dub and do it, not wait around forever saying "We are currently waiting on GKIDS for the dub" or something like that.

{Combined serial posts. ~nobahn}
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:48 am Reply with quote
I personally think the CG in this show is probably some of the worst I've seen.

Anyway, I've never heard of Serious Lunch before. Is it a relatively new company or is anime not their main priority?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:43 am Reply with quote
What? Ghibli did a TV series? I though they have a rule against doing TV series.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:10 am Reply with quote
This was a really good anime and will be worth it to see it dubbed But as for a network willing to play it maybe Disney x d
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:46 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

Anyway, I'm surprised this hasn't been broadcast in English already. You know, like a simuldub or something. Does the Ghibli name not have any clout anymore?

This show was made in collaboration with Polygon Pictures, the same studio that adapts Sidonia no Kishi. And I thought the CG was fairly good.
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:55 pm Reply with quote
luisedgarf wrote:
What? Ghibli did a TV series? I though they have a rule against doing TV series.

Well this isn't 100% A Studio Ghibli work, it's a cooperative work produced with Polygon Pictures.

And Ghibli is pretty much at a crossroads now and they have to decide where they want to take their studio, if they want to close up all together or pursue smaller more affordable projects. I feel like was something to test those waters with.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:01 pm Reply with quote
This ain't the 80s, where you could air random occasional animated kid-friendly programming which didn't have an ulterior motive to sell a bunch of tie-in junk, like when Nick brought over Mysterious Cities of Gold. So, unless they got some related toys they can sell, it's probably not gonna happen.
PetitePuff

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:42 pm Reply with quote
i loved this show. Very Happy a nice heartfelt story of family, friendship, and life. Ronja and Birk are so great together too! Very Happy love those kids!

i thought the Ghibli designs and CG worked pretty well together.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:05 pm Reply with quote
PetitePuff wrote:
i loved this show. Very Happy a nice heartfelt story of family, friendship, and life. Ronja and Birk are so great together too! Very Happy love those kids!

i thought the Ghibli designs and CG worked pretty well together.

Yeah, hopefully they get this on and we eventually get an English blu-ray later too.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:19 am Reply with quote
I saw the first episode (which was two combined) on TV in Japan...and then the broadcaster dropped it...and I found myself not really minding. The CG was an issue (unlike an off-model cut in a hand-drawn show, a weird CG movement can yank me right out of the story), but I also remember thinking there were some story problems too. I think they might have an uphill battle on this one.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2