• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Salon Magazine Looks at Death Note

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
roujin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:00 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Ryuk's notebook is found by Light Yagami, a brilliant, aimless college-bound son of a cop, who decides he's going to use the power of life and death to make a better world. Wackiness ensues.

That part really made me laugh. As for the rest of the article, he's pretty spot on. Particularly about the role that Japanese customs play in Death Note though he may be going too far on saying that an American adaptation wouldn't work. I figure the story is good enough to stand on its own.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:49 am Reply with quote
Whatever is positive that is said about the series, I agree with him on that. Because truly that's what the series became for me: addictive, non-stop reading action. I'm glad this guy was able to catch wind of the series.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:22 am Reply with quote
The Article wrote:
Near the end

I laughed heartily at this, even if it wasn't intentional.

Quote:
there's a series of exceptionally creepy scenes in which one character is seen playing with little wooden toys that represent the rest of the cast -- and then wearing a cardboard mask of another character's face.

Then again, maybe it was intentional.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
LightYagami

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:33 am Reply with quote
Bout darn time that the Death Note manga is receivng main stream exposure which it rightfully deserves. Now if only Berserk and Monster would get a taste of that main stream exposure I'd be happy.
KAtchan15

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:51 am Reply with quote
LightYagami wrote:
Bout darn time that the Death Note manga is receiving main stream exposure which it rightfully deserves.
That's definitely true.
Death note is a magnificent piece of work.
LightYagami wrote:
There's an awful lot of "if he knows that I know that he knows that I know, then that's exactly what he's expecting me to do" stuff.
That's what I love about it the most. If there is any manga that has a similar concept as Death note, I'd read it anytime. I hope that mangaka's continue to create manga with the same quality that Death Note has presented.
kuni_kuni

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:09 am Reply with quote
This actually doesn't surprise me as much as it should. If there's one recent manga/anime that has the potential to be a MAJOR mainstream hit in the U.S. (which we haven't really seen since DBZ), it's Death Note . I was able to get a good portion of my non-anime watching dorm floor obsessed with it (Sunday night was Death Note night Very Happy). It pretty much kicks all of the stereotypes many Americans have about anime into the road. And the U.S. is obsessed with crime shows, after all.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:31 am Reply with quote
Quote:
cheerfully convoluted thriller about a psychotic, nearly omnipotent teenage serial killer -- who's the good guy, more or less
I am getting pretty sick of people calling Light the good guy. The main character, yes. The lead protagonist, sure. Good guy, no! He is a mass murderer, and don't tell me he just kills criminals either, or that all of the criminals he did kill deserved the death penalty
Quote:
Even the fatal notebook itself is regulated by a series of arcane mystical laws: the precise amounts of time its death sentences can take, the consequences of giving up possession of it, its relationship to the Shinigami. At worst, an American version of Kira, whacking the bad guys left and right without blinking, would just be John Rambo. Ohba and Obata's story is just the opposite: It's built around the ever-tightening knots of moral ambiguity that come with the power of judgment, and the creeping fear that free will may actually mean nothing and personal identity may be no more than a hollow mask.
In other words Americans are to stupid to understand arcane details, and execute them with precision. Anyway to take a shot and bash your own country buddy. Of course looking at his credentials it is not surprising he would do that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
Quote:
cheerfully convoluted thriller about a psychotic, nearly omnipotent teenage serial killer -- who's the good guy, more or less
I am getting pretty sick of people calling Light the good guy. The main character, yes. The lead protagonist, sure. Good guy, no! He is a mass murderer, and don't tell me he just kills criminals either, or that all of the criminals he did kill deserved the death penalty

Given the context he wrote "good guy" in, it's pretty apparent it was some form of sarcasm.
Strephon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
In other words Americans are to stupid to understand arcane details, and execute them with precision. Anyway to take a shot and bash your own country buddy.

No, read the quote in context:

Quote:
For one thing, the peculiar logic of "Death Note" depends on unbreakable social rules that aren't nearly as stringent in the United States. Ohba's characters -- including the ones who are happy to murder with a stroke of a pen -- repeatedly refuse to take obvious courses of action that would violate their socialization and moral codes.

Nothing there about stupidity, just supporting the point that the whole series is based around rigid social rules that the US doesn't have, and the notebook's operation is representative part of that. Though I suppose that the context of a quote is another one of those "arcane details."
R_Amythest

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:26 pm Reply with quote
In storytelling terms, Light is an antihero. That is, he's the main character and all, but we're not expected to root for him.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Strephon wrote:
Quote:
For one thing, the peculiar logic of "Death Note" depends on unbreakable social rules that aren't nearly as stringent in the United States. Ohba's characters -- including the ones who are happy to murder with a stroke of a pen -- repeatedly refuse to take obvious courses of action that would violate their socialization and moral codes.

Nothing there about stupidity, just supporting the point that the whole series is based around rigid social rules that the US doesn't have, and the notebook's operation is representative part of that. Though I suppose that the context of a quote is another one of those "arcane details."
Dude, I quoted the whole paragraph for a reason. Context is usually derived and divided into paragraphical units. If the point he was trying to make was the same as the one you quoted then it would have been in the same paragraph. The preceding point he makes is nothing more than a setup for his final point.

Which is that Americans have all the complexity of John Rambo. Which I will give you(no respectable journalists ever directly says it), that he didn't come right out and say stupid, but given the context...

Then again I am not sure if you know who Rambo is.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway I am glad the article is published despite my criticism's. For the most part it is spot on, if not a little obsequious.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Samurai Drifter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:05 am Reply with quote
L isn't a teenage boy. He's 24 or 25.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1