• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: The Ancient Magus' Bride GN 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grooven

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:53 am Reply with quote
I saw this in Japan on the shelves and then a garage kit at Treasure Festa. The art and style was really eye catching so now I'm very interested.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:00 am Reply with quote
malvarez1 wrote:

This is one of the only ever romance manga I followed via scans, partially because I liked that the love interest wasn't some bishonen pretty boy. I mean....a magician with a skull head? Neat.

Anyway, for those worried, their relationship (at least as of now) has not been creepy in the slightest. Actually, quite the opposite, IMO. If anything, the only creepy thing is some unfortunate animal violence later.

Situation reminds us of Beauty and The Beast, except he has a skull for a head instead of a beast.

vashfanatic wrote:

(Ran and the Grey World, for those who don't know, is about a young girl from a family of sorcerers, who, ala Big, wants to become an adult and uses magic to achieve it. While she's in adult form, an adult falls in love with her having no idea she's actually a child, again ala Big, believing her to be a free-spirited young woman. Obviously that can be uncomfortable for the reader, watching him try to get in her pants while we know she's like 8 or 9 years old.

Stuff like that happens on TV like in Steven Universe when the 2 grade-schooler kids fuse to become an attractive teenage girl, then the YA boys are hitting on her even on the dance floor.
Ali07

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:36 am Reply with quote
Glowing review. I'm looking forward to reading this one. My copy arrived in the mail yesterday...but may be a week or so before I get to experience it for myself. Have a bit of a backlog to work through. Laughing

Really hope this one does well for Seven Seas.
Hawkmonger

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:01 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

Stuff like that happens on TV like in Steven Universe when the 2 grade-schooler kids fuse to become an attractive teenage girl, then the YA boys are hitting on her even on the dance floor.

Ruby and Saphire? They're gay, agender space rocks. They are thousands of years old.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:48 am Reply with quote
Oh? Yet another bonehead living here in Blighty? Laughing
This got a stunning report on NHK World's "Imagine Nation". It's on it's way from the Book Depository as I type.
Eldritcho

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Bought the first volume.

Loved it.

Would buy the next one.
BigHeadClan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Interesting will have to check this series out!
sunflower

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:06 am Reply with quote
This looks intriguing, but alas, it is only available in paper format. Hopefully it will one day be issued in eformat.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2