• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: One Piece

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
billybob8476

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:51 am Reply with quote
Just want to say thanks to Sam for doing the review for this show. I also want to say good luck because while this episode had some good material and nuances, some episodes of OP can REALLY drag. But I've got faith in ya. Keep up the good work!
ViscontPenRoth

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Here are some reasons why people might suspect Rebecca would join the crew:
1. Tragic backstory, which is common among all Straw hats
2. Luffy said in the first chapter that he wanted ten other crew members.

Now one possibility is that no new crew member will join from this arc, but since we are already on this path, I'll disagree with some points.
1. Bartolemo can't join, he already has a crew. Possibly an alliance or something, but otherwise no.
2. Maybe some sort of team up with the Revolutionaries since there are a few connections (Dragon, Sabo, and Robin) related to the Straw hats, but I don't think they would directly join.

Before a crew member joins, Luffy and crew usually state something along the lines of, "hey it would be nice if we had [position] on the ship." There are some exceptions of course (Zoro, Usopp, and Robin) but that typically is how it works. There isn't really a position to fill, unless maybe guarding the ship is needed.

Straw hats don't need to be the strongest to join. I would like it if there was a Strong Women on the crew who isn't sidelined a lot (Robin gets swept aside easily in this arc).
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:23 pm Reply with quote
ViscontPenRoth wrote:
Straw hats don't need to be the strongest to join. I would like it if there was a Strong Women on the crew who isn't sidelined a lot (Robin gets swept aside easily in this arc).

Just to note, Robin is "stronger" than Rebecca, so if you want someone that won't be swept aside when Robin is, then you need to look elsewhere. Violet is not a fighter, but could be interesting, but I don't think any women from Dressrosa will join.

Regardless of anything else, I don't see Rebecca joining if ONLY because she has been "without" actual parents for pretty much her whole life and suddenly rediscovered her father, do you really think she's gonna leave him? (and I don't see Kyros dying in Dressrosa)
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:39 pm Reply with quote
I just find it funny when people are hoping for Rebecca to join the crew. Tragic story? Promising fighting abilities? Being a female? Have those people forgot about Nefertari Vivi?

Stop me if this sounds familiar: an undercover female offspring to the royal family joins a group whose motives/M.O.s are questionable, meets the Strawhat Crew by change as an opponents at first, fights along side them with the ultimate goal of restoring and/or saving the country (with the royal lineage itself taking a lesser place in the priority levels, at least for said female royal undercover offspring). During the fight in the country itself, the female character convinces the royal patriarch (for her mother died when said offspring character was young) to "trust these group of vigilantes, they are different from the ones ravaging our country, who are part of the shichibukai". Not to mention that the actual fights are more of a three-way become the Marines are in the country as well, trying to apprehend both the vigilantes pirates, as well as the ruckus-raising shichibukai member.

This arc is Oda retracing elements from the Alabasta Saga - and more specifically from its Arc - to give us points of comparison, and as well as for any other narrative intents he has.

Chances of Rebecca joining the Strawhat Crew: quite low, nearly nill.

Last edited by Hameyadea on Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nyaomix

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:32 pm Reply with quote
I`m still waiting on the return of Hancock. Wish this show could have more episodes with this much detail, but this show has never really been about amazing art.
Gasero

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:08 pm Reply with quote
One Piece material tends to become redundant and boring quite frequently for me. It would be nice to see ANN review the show though because then I would have a regular source to tell me when I should tune back in.

One Piece should be an infinite source of reviews.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:10 am Reply with quote
Technically speaking

Jimbei is the 10th Straw Hats crew member since he already stated that he will join after he finishes his business with whatever he need to do,

and there was also a strong hint of that in the cover of the latest manga issue

(where Jimbei is standing and there a little boy or girl holding Jimbei leg with a number 10 on him)
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:44 am Reply with quote
I still think that the whole 10 member crew thing will be thrown out the window.

First this is a story and Oda wrote taht line yearsa ago before he thought the series would be this long so it's possible he may have changed his mind on that front (The dude loves foreshadowing so who knows)

But if we stick to the universe of One Piece, Luffy said that 2 years ago when he just set out, long before he realized how hard the world was, how extreme the New world is, before Kuma wiped the floor with him and shattered what was said to be a strong crew...before Ace died an Luffy had to see how tough the world around him actual was.

Remember that on Punk Hazard Zoro has to tell Luffy, this isn't a game The New World will kill all of them if they don't take thing seriously. Luffy might have only wanted 10 in the past but the way he is has changed and he can't afford to be as stubborn, or people could end up dead.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:05 am Reply with quote
Awesome! I was looking forward to this. I kind of tuned out during the Punk Hazard arc (but I've kept up in the manga); it just got too slow for me. But this review indicates that there are people at Toei who still care about the show.

bigivel wrote:
When Rebecca appeared in the Coliseum, this same people started an ovation about her being their next member, being a bad-Ass fighter and being the one getting the Mera Mera no mi.

At that point, I waz still rooting for the Soldier, not knowing the true nature of the toys.

Videogamep wrote:
I'm wondering if she'll get any screen time outside this arc. Oda's introduced way too many characters for all of them to be confined to this arc.

Rebecca lives in Dressrosa, so I highly doubt she'll get much. Rather, the characters we meet in this arc who'll become important later, I'll bet, will be those who live elsewhere (like Chinjao and Fujitora) or are wanderers (like Bartolomeo and Sabo).

Nyaomix wrote:
The new crew member definitely needs to be Bartolomeo.

Problem there is that Bartolomeo already has his own crew, and as much as he idolizes Luffy, I don't think he's going to ditch his own crew. I think he'd be better suited as an ally of the Straw Hat Pirates.

Hameyadea wrote:
This arc is Oda retracing elements from the Alabasta Saga - and more specifically from its Arc - to give us points of comparison, and as well as for any other narrative intents he has.

Chances of Rebecca joining the Strawhat Crew: quite low, nearly nill.

Hmm, I wonder if this means Robin's counterpart to the Doflamingo Pirates will join (compared to the Baroque Works). Who would that be? Sugar? Trébol? Dellinger?

Nah, I kid. If we're getting one more crew member (and I suspect that we are, I don't think it's going to happen within this arc. Maybe afer Dressrosa but before the next one, but I get the feeling that, like with Fishman Island, we're not getting a new crew member.
Tylerr

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:21 am Reply with quote
Quote:
heralds the coming conclusion of the Dressrosa arc!

Huh?

its still going on in the manga... and the anime is like a year behind it

and oda is really dragging this arc out, so i wouldn't be surprised if it lasts another month or 2.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:05 pm Reply with quote
great review again, good to see two weeks of soild input

If i might just say, the Reason Law does not recognize Sugar is because she and Monet (reviled in a SBS in the Manga volumes that the two were sisters and Sugar is really 26 and her fruit makes her stay the age she was when she ate it) joins after Law had left Doflomingo's group so he has no knowledge of Sugar or her power which is why he's so casual about her approach.
Lord Starfish

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:01 pm Reply with quote
ViscontPenRoth wrote:
Like a lot of people, I don't really like the pacing of an episode per chapter. I'd rather have filler than having episodes where barely anything happen. And we still had filler for some reason between Punk Hazard and Dressrosa.

The pacing is actually closer to like, half a chapter or 3/4 of a chapter per episode at this point. Which is unfortunate, but also kind of inevitable being that Oda keeps taking breaks and the anime is already inconveniently close to the manga as it is. It's either this pacing... or going the Bleach-route of abruptly interrupting the story mid-arc to focus on something completely different. The way Oda's been writing the story, there hasn't really been a natural gap which they could insert fillers into since the time-skip. The movie tie-in fillers prior to Punk Hazard required them to rewrite the entry into the New World to fit, and the whole deal with Breed... the story literally demanded that that thing be resolved quickly seeing how they had to be at Dress Rosa the very next day. Then again, considering how I'm pretty sure this entire arc has happened in one day... with a running-time that's probably around 24 hours itself by now... maybe that wouldn't have been a problem. I would hope that once Dress Rosa finally ends, there'll be some downtime before the next arc, but seeing how we last saw Sanji and the others like a year ago, just about to do battle with one of the strongest pirates in the world... I doubt that'll be the case. Chances are we're going to cut back to that to find they've been defeated and taken captive or something and that's going to immediately lead into Luffy VS Big Mom or something... And Oda, please, if I'm right, let that arc be less cluttered and dragged out than this one.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:
great review again, good to see two weeks of soild input

If i might just say, the Reason Law does not recognize Sugar is because she and Monet (reviled in a SBS in the Manga volumes that the two were sisters and Sugar is really 26 and her fruit makes her stay the age she was when she ate it) joins after Law had left Doflomingo's group so he has no knowledge of Sugar or her power which is why he's so casual about her approach.

So Trafalgar Law had left over 10 years ago? I highly doubt that. (Remember that Sugar's first application of the Hobby-Hobby Fruit was to Kyros, who had been stuck that way for a decade, and by then she had already been a part of the Doflamingo Pirates.)

Lord Starfish wrote:
The pacing is actually closer to like, half a chapter or 3/4 of a chapter per episode at this point. Which is unfortunate, but also kind of inevitable being that Oda keeps taking breaks and the anime is already inconveniently close to the manga as it is. It's either this pacing... or going the Bleach-route of abruptly interrupting the story mid-arc to focus on something completely different.

They already did that sort of thing with the Enies Lobby arc with the Japan fillers and the Straw Hat Theatre fillers.
Lord Starfish

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:25 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Lord Starfish wrote:
The pacing is actually closer to like, half a chapter or 3/4 of a chapter per episode at this point. Which is unfortunate, but also kind of inevitable being that Oda keeps taking breaks and the anime is already inconveniently close to the manga as it is. It's either this pacing... or going the Bleach-route of abruptly interrupting the story mid-arc to focus on something completely different.

They already did that sort of thing with the Enies Lobby arc with the Japan fillers and the Straw Hat Theatre fillers.

Well, those were just one-offs. They're not going to make up for Oda's constant breaks with one or two alternate universe episodes. Not when the man's output seems to have slowed to a pretty consistent pace of roughly three chapters per month whereas the anime has to put out a new episode every week. I mean I guess they could do three episodes of plot followed by one episode of AU antics, but I think I speak for all of us when I say that that would get old real fast.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Yeah they can't really do that sort of thing so easily with this without breaking the flow.

By the way, I was curious as to how they would've handled this chapter. Now I want to see how Toei is going to have to deal with a chapter later on that takes place over what I think is 2 minutes or so.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 48