• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why Sailor Moon Crystal Isn't a Total Disaster

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DQBunny

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:31 am Reply with quote
No matter its flaws, nothing in SMC can match the sheer awful that was the Rurouni Kenshin Reflection or New Kyoto Arc OVAs.

*clings to her Kenshin manga and sobs*
tootbrush

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:59 am Reply with quote
H. Guderian wrote:
Yeah, didn't Sato mostly handle the first season? Thanks for calling it out though.

The first season was co-directed by Satou and Igarashi.
Sharp was co-directed by Yamauchi Shigeyasu and Igarashi.

It's hard to tell who had more say in either case, but both seasons definitely had the "tone" of a Satou anime and Yamauchi anime, respectively.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:44 pm Reply with quote
QuinDecim wrote:
The amount of negativity in this thread is overwhelming. And to be honest, it's disappointing and frightening.

OK, let's inject some positive thinking.

Three Decisions that could have avoided this trainwreck.

1. Cover only the Dark Kingdom arc. This would have allowed for more character of each individual scout and their growing friendship. If the series became sucessful there would be time to cover the rest later.

2. Change the character design. This is a tough sell since this is one of the few things the people that still see this series think of as good. But manga and anime are different media and simplifying the character designs is not limited to shoujo as can be attested by anyone that has read the manga and the anime of Oh! My Goddess, which nevertheless came out gorgeous. With easier designs there would be better animation/no derp looking scenes.

3. Dial down the control freak levels. I will say it, Naoko Takeuchi is a hack, but so is George Lucas, the difference is that every time Lucas could, he would delegate to someone more knowledgeable than himself, that is why Disney paid big bucks for the Star Wars franchise, because fans can moan al day long but the franchise never failed to make loads of money.

Of course some people will say that all the problems in Sailor Moon Crystal boil down to money, but I can bet that the one year delay this series had was spent by Takeuchi trying to convince companies to invest more money in SMC, so money as a solution could not be achieved.

The other no solution would have been waiting for the 25th anniversary instead, Hirohiko Araki (of Jojo's Bizarre adventure) preferred to ditch a derpy movie and wait a better chance and the result of said decision is plain to see.
captokita

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:27 pm Reply with quote
I think in many cases people approach series like this with higher than reasonable expectations. No, we don't want crap, but the ideas we think will be great usually outreach what we inevitably get. "Look! New Sailor Moon! More faithful to the manga!" Well, good for you if you 1:read the manga, and 2: prefer those designs over the original series. For me, I didn't read the manga, and these new designs look hideous.

I wasn't a fan of Sailor Moon, but my daughter LOVED it, and if anything, the fansubbed versions I had inspired her to read, so all the more reason to like it. I didn't think it was a BAD series, but as a male, it never really did anything for me. However, I base my critiques on Crystal solely on what I see now, not what it once was. Comparing this series to the original isn't fair. Ignore the original, and base your praise/hate on what THIS series has to offer on it's own.

As for Crystal, I watch it with my wife on it's bi-weekly schedule. Our daughter who is now grown and moved out will watch it occasionally, but she doesn't like it as much as the original.

For ME, the flaws it has that irritate me, are the animation errors, and look of cheapness. I thought the whole bi-weekly release was to give it time to make it BETTER, but apparently not. I really don't like these character models, as they just seem so....... ugly. Mars, Mercury, Jupiter, and Venus seem like weaklings, not somuch guardians. The pace is horrible, as a 12 episode arc just doesn't give enough time to introduce characters, build a story, reach the climax of that story, and finish. You're inevitably left scratching your head feeling you've missed something. Sure, we don't want mindless filler, but by the same token, some character development to make me give a bleep about anyone involved would be nice.

Still, if you like this version over the original anime, that's great, more power to you, but for me, in so far as reboots go, this one falls short. I don't HATE it, but it most certainly could, and SHOULD, be better.
CaRoss

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:07 pm Reply with quote
H. Guderian wrote:

Junichi Sato, what'd he go on to do? The Doremi Franchise? directed Aria? Kaleido Star? He -Created!- Princess Tutu!!! Futagohime? I loved that magical girl show. Funny and entertaining!

Wait a minute... One of the directors of the original Sailor Moon anime created Princess Tutu? I adore Princess Tutu. Now I actually have to watch the original Sailor Moon.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:06 pm Reply with quote
CaRoss wrote:
H. Guderian wrote:

Junichi Sato, what'd he go on to do? The Doremi Franchise? directed Aria? Kaleido Star? He -Created!- Princess Tutu!!! Futagohime? I loved that magical girl show. Funny and entertaining!

Wait a minute... One of the directors of the original Sailor Moon anime created Princess Tutu? I adore Princess Tutu. Now I actually have to watch the original Sailor Moon.

You may notice some, er....similarities between Usagi and Ahiru (and Moon and Tutu), as the rest of us noticed vice-versa. Anime smile + sweatdrop
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:37 pm Reply with quote
CaRoss wrote:
H. Guderian wrote:

See, someone said this thread was too negative. This helps.

The best thing SMC has done is helped people talk about all the things that made the original stand out, and further the appreciation of it.
Lili-Hime

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:46 pm Reply with quote
H. Guderian wrote:

The best thing SMC has done is helped people talk about all the things that made the original stand out, and further the appreciation of it.

I'm really glad of it too. The original was really looked down upon as like baby's first anime for quite a long time. Aside from maybe a few silly filler episodes, it was actually pretty well done. So happy to see new Sailor Moon fans, no matter how they get into it.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:22 pm Reply with quote
@Lili-Hime

Yeah, I will say, I am debating right now whether the Inners sacrificing their power and lives to revive Usagi in the first arc is character development or not (Crystal ruined it by making it look like Metallia, who looks pathetic in Crystal, killed them and it didn't work while it did)...

And yeah, Jadeite did get the shaft in the original anime, but I still liked him.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

@captokita

Mercury, Jupiter, Venus and Mars fortunately aren't that weak in the original 90's anime, though they did get overpowered at times, they were still excellent fighters.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for merging my postings. Very Happy

Despite all the interesting comments I have read here interestingly, I still think Crystal is a complete disaster, and I don't think there's anything that can be fixed now, unless they started over from the beginning.

The paragraph in this person's thoughts of the DBZ English dub (starting with the "Judging by the early responses..." sentence; I know it's from 1999, but oh well) to the end is probably what I might say about Crystal (ignore the part about fans supporting and defending though; if they like what they see, that's OK, I respect their opinions): http://animecauldron.com/dbzuncensored/editorial/editorial15.html

Replace Funimation with Toei and DBZ with Sailor Moon Crystal/maybe Sailor Moon and general, and season 4 with 3 and you'll see what I mean.

{Merged your serial postings. ~nobahn}
jymmy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:17 am Reply with quote
Sailor Sedna wrote:
Thanks for merging my postings. Very Happy

You can just press the edit button and write more in the original post. In fact, that's preferred; it's why mods merged the posts.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:22 am Reply with quote
Oh, I see. Thanks!
Werewolfhero

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Does it suffer from graphic blunders?, yes. Does it rely abit too heavily on cgi?, yes. Could it, should it have been better, absolutely.

Okay everyone agree's that the animation does have some serious issues which much of it has been showed to be corrected in the blu-ray. So hastily done artwork and glitchy cgi aside, the story itself has been fairly decent, and some graphic blunders don't seem quite as bad since the first arc.

And I know that many hold the original series in high reguards, myself included since the 90's version was the very first anime I ever watched and what drew me into the genre, but everyone needs to realize that this isn't a reboot/remake of the original anime, but rather draws from the manga itself which everyone knows, or should know takes a different path than the 90s anime did.
wohdin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:51 am Reply with quote
I don't really think that many people have issues with the "changes" that Crystal has made (to be sure, Crystal is actually MUCH closer to the original manga than the 90's anime was - that's kind of the point of Crystal - although it also has its minor differences).

The vast majority of people's problems with this show is the poor/lazy animation quality and awkward pacing. It's completely reprehensible, especially considering the bi-weekly release schedule.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:23 pm Reply with quote
From what I've seen of Crystal (first arc wise, second arc is more faithful) that has more deviations where they are made for the worse.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:13 pm Reply with quote
CaRoss wrote:

Princess Tutu was a collaboration between Junichi Satou and Ikuko Itoh (who did character designs for Sailor Moon SuperS). The two of them also collaborated on the creation of Magic Users Club and have worked together on a lot of projects.

(I just wanted to point this out because Princess Tutu is more Itoh than Satou, but they did work together on it and both were involved in creating it)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9