• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ghibli's When Marnie Was There Earns US$77,452 in 3rd U.S. Weekend

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:03 am Reply with quote
Actually, the total's at around $230,000.
SENPAI--

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:23 am Reply with quote
This is great really good film. i didn't expected to be this good
omegaproxy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:02 am Reply with quote
Alot of tears to be had... T-T
Asrialys

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:47 am Reply with quote
We may get a lot of screenings in this state already, but the middle of California never gets any love...
Chibi Shoujo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:18 am Reply with quote
Asrialys wrote:
We may get a lot of screenings in this state already, but the middle of California never gets any love...

Neither does 99% of Wisconsin. My friends and I always end up traveling to the Twin Cities in Minnesota for Ghibli films.

When Marnie Was There was excellent! I felt like I was always trying to guess what was going to happen next. The friends that came with me and I had a discussion about how the book was written for another location, and you can feel that based on the folklore in the film even though it was set it in Japan.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:25 am Reply with quote
Chibi Shoujo wrote:
The friends that came with me and I had a discussion about how the book was written for another location, and you can feel that based on the folklore in the film even though it was set it in Japan.

I can sorta see that, but it was integrated quite well, as far as I could see. No one seemed particularly out of place, though I wasn't sure I was able to get the time period down exactly.

I also half-expect for someone on the Internet to ruin the film by putting googly eyes on everything. Wink
vangelionite88

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:31 pm Reply with quote
it was a lovely film.
kevinx59

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Nice. I saw it in the theater this past Tuesday and it was a sweet and emotional movie.
eternalblue81

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Looks like they removed the listing of the showing tomorrow at noon in Ann Arbor, MI since it's just a one-time showing that is free.

It still amazes me how the last several Ghibli films never to my knowledge had any screenings in Ann Arbor, despite the fact that there's two downtown theaters that seem pretty inclined towards showing more arty, less mainstream films and that the Ypsilanti/Ann Arbor cineplex frequently has a number of less mainstream films as well, since it has enough screens to accommodate showing them.

Since becoming a Ghibli fan, I've been able to enjoy seeing Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, and Arietty in local theaters.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1