• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Blood Blockade Battlefront (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:53 am Reply with quote
#10.5

spoiler[Tragedy of L radio talk show?
Just a recap of everything that has been happening so far.
Leo's point of view about events & "coworkers".
A basic recap of story & characters up till now.
Decent episode.]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:39 am Reply with quote
Well a recap episode. Well with how this series has been in terms of chaotic a recap is not the worst thing, and there were a couple creative things. Also a small segment just for saying how awful Zapp is.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:19 am Reply with quote
For a recap, the way in which the songs are weaved in to keep everything flowing along is quite peculiar to this series. Although it's basically a montage of every episode that has come to pass, viewers get to laugh at how nervous L gets when he's speaking under the public gaze.

The only disappointment is viewers having no idea when this radio conversation takes place, especially given the events in last week's ending.
salcesare

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:45 am Reply with quote
Yes. You're right.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:
viewers get to laugh at how nervous L gets when he's speaking under the public gaze.

And I had to turn it off over that. That kind of thing is my least favorite aspect of anime.

Although I stopped watching about 1/3 of the way it occurred to me that part of his problem was that he had to find a way to say things that didn't compromise Libra's security. He couldn't name Klaus or Zap for example.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:00 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Harleyquin wrote:
viewers get to laugh at how nervous L gets when he's speaking under the public gaze.

And I had to turn it off over that. That kind of thing is my least favorite aspect of anime.

Although I stopped watching about 1/3 of the way it occurred to me that part of his problem was that he had to find a way to say things that didn't compromise Libra's security. He couldn't name Klaus or Zap for example.

Doesn't explain his inability to speak when talking about White, talking about Libra encroaches on confidentiality but the inability to talk about a female acquaintance in public seems quite typical for someone his age.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Episode 11:

I'm glad to see the show is back. Nice focus on Black and White this episode:

Seems like there's some personal demons going on and I have to say, emotions were running high this week.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:30 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[Black & White's story.
All the way from the childhood days.]

Those spoiler[two weren't similar in traits] at all.
spoiler[Black has Leo] & things aren't looking good..
Final episode should be a good one!
Nyron

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:58 pm Reply with quote
I guess no one's talking about episode 11 yet?

It was pretty ****ing bad. They really, really dropped the ball with this series.

"Hurf durf, let's take a manga with some of the most imaginative characters and world building ever, with 10 volumes of content, and then make an anime where we explicitly ignore most of the main cast and central setting in order to focus on two extremely generic characters that barely fit in the show at all."

"Let's take a series where its strongest storytelling asset is showing instead of telling, and then let's tack on our own story where we completely ignore that and be as flat and expositional as possible"

god damn it

this legit felt like one of those "coldsteel the hedgehog" Sonic fanfics where a child wrote it without having any true comprehension of the source material
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:49 pm Reply with quote
I have not read the manga so I've no reason to be butthurt. I like White (and imagine the manga is weaker due to lack of her) and it's nice to see her backstory fleshed out like this.
Nyron

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
I have not read the manga so I've no reason to be butthurt. I like White (and imagine the manga is weaker due to lack of her) and it's nice to see her backstory fleshed out like this.

White is a 1-dimensional tsundere character that you can find in any other 5/10 anime. The manga is in no way weak for not having such a boring character, considering the rest of the cast are all all-stars (and the anime is weaker for giving most of them 10 lines of dialogue)

This episode was like something from a completely different series. None of the main characters were present, it didn't take place in the city, there was no action, and none of the style the whole of BBB was built on was there. It was mostly a flashback in a series where the author tries to not use hamfisted flashbacks.

It's not even a "the manga is better" issue, it's a "this a bait and switch" issue, like if you stuck a random episode of Azumanga Daioh in the middle of Serial Experiments Lain. except here, black and white have literally hijacked the whole series and the actual content has suffered for it.
meiam

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Well the first half was extraordinarily boring, should have been done in 1-2 min instead. When the second half started I was surprised because I though that first half lasted 20 minute it was so boring. Although I don't think it's because of White but rather because of Wil whose just boring to the cube. Then second half made pretty much no sense, why did black need white to be the one to steal the eyes? Why did he even need the eye? Why is he breaking the barrier? If only they could have cut some content to have time to give some context to this.

I think this is made extra embarrassing since they took last week off. So 2 week to spend on an episode and that's what they come up with?
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Nyron wrote:
White is a 1-dimensional tsundere character that you can find in any other 5/10 anime. The manga is in no way weak for not having such a boring character, considering the rest of the cast are all all-stars (and the anime is weaker for giving most of them 10 lines of dialogue)

Just because she's voiced by Rie Kugimiya and has twintails does not make her a tsundere. Her and Leo have a consistently friendly relationship and there was only that one time I can think of where she was really mad at him for no adequately explained reason.

A generic tsundere would never be able to do what happened in the Twins scene.

And I like it when the protagonist has a girl of similar age to play off of (and potentially be a love interest). Libra only has Chain and KK and they're barely around.

meiam wrote:
Then second half made pretty much no sense, why did black need white to be the one to steal the eyes? Why did he even need the eye? Why is he breaking the barrier?

By befriending Leo, White was the one who could get close enough to him to put that device on him.

Looks like he needed the eyes to see where all the barriers are to destroy them simultaneously.

With the barriers gone, the great collapse that was stopped before will resume. They haven't yet revealed exactly why he wants this, but it wouldn't surprise me if he did it for the lulz.
Nyron

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:03 am Reply with quote
Chain and KK have entire chapters devoted to them in the manga, on top of plenty of other scenes in various arcs, but they were basically omitted from the series so Black and White could do whatever it is that they're doing. And then Leo has a few chapters like Don't Forget to Don't Forget Me where he befriends someone and it shows how he can be a dandy guy to everyone.

I actually didn't mind White at first, and I think that they could have integrated her into the series if they really wanted to, but when you only have 12 episodes and 10 volumes of amazing content to work with, idk why she was added at all outside of the fact the show has no young girl characters to appeal to otaku. It's obvious that they wanted some sort of over-arching story here, but they really could have done better without truncating all of the relevant stuff.

i mean god, Brody&Hammer's introduction episode was cut down to like 15 minutes to Leo and White could go watch Twins. ugh
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:25 am Reply with quote
I'm guessing that Something Happened during the Great Collapse, as Black alludes to it in his monologue about death. He then comments on how the Barrier was tied into White's heart somehow, and that this was done by their parents. It may be that their parents, with the best of intentions, actually put one (or both) of their children into an intolerable situation, and what Black is doing now is the only way for them to escape from it.

I have to admit, I didn't think White would go through with it. Really, it was a pretty depressing episode. I hope that something good happens next episode, or my view of the whole series will probably sink. I guess we'll see next week.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 12