• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Gunslinger Stratos: The Animation

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
laureninspace

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 10:18 am Reply with quote
AnimeAddict2014 wrote:
in this series people are dying left and right after showing up for 2-3 minutes (more or less)

like the old man (looks like some mafia boss)-- died after showing up for 1 minute??.. Confused

I think so. I'm having a really hard time keeping track of the characters, but a good way to figure it out is to look at the Gunslinger Stratos video game wiki. The game actually looks amazing.
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 10:33 am Reply with quote
I would say Dr. Ohdner's "evil" is also a reflection of the minimalist atyle. They didn't varnish him with some supreme, complex, high-minded, intricate justification. He's very simple as a bad guy, with the basic and often flimsy motivations of a real-world criminal.

But, this is why minimalism is tricky, because you usually want a little more flash. If this were a show about deep, serious, matters, the minimalist approach could work much better. Or if they were going for a more unique story with a much more polished writing and cirecting team. But for the type of story it is, the minimalist approach comes off as lazy writing and poor production quality rather than simply uncommon style, writing, and art direction.
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 11:48 am Reply with quote
laureninspace wrote:
AnimeAddict2014 wrote:
in this series people are dying left and right after showing up for 2-3 minutes (more or less)

like the old man (looks like some mafia boss)-- died after showing up for 1 minute??.. Confused

I think so. I'm having a really hard time keeping track of the characters, but a good way to figure it out is to look at the Gunslinger Stratos video game wiki. The game actually looks amazing.

i guess they only focus on the main characters in this series... the others are just extras who will die shortly after they appeared..
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 4:04 pm Reply with quote
AnimeAddict2014 wrote:

See, this is my main problem with this series: they throw a lot of stuff at the wall, but nothing sticks. I have no idea who you're referring to there. Confused

If someone asked me to explain the entire series, I'd be left with "alternate universe doppelgangers battle to survive being destroyed by evil alien(?) Timekeepers, but the Timekeepers are just waiting for them to destroy themselves with a sandy Dead End. And there's a little ghosty girl who keeps flying into the ointment."

Why are the soldiers all following megalomaniac Dr. O instead of whoever is supposed to be in charge of the place?

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 7:08 pm Reply with quote
I think they were trying to do gray morality with Dr. Odhner, but the lack of character development makes it fail to come across right.

I saw it as 'Odhner wants to do good things for humanity with his science, but he's overconfident in his ability to not cause the very thing he's trying to avoid'. It's not a bad direction, it just needs a lot more time to work properly.

This whole anime to me is a master class in doing most things poorly, but having that one moment that makes me want to keep watching against my better judgment. The concept of Dead End? Legitimately cool sci-fi. Things like Odhner noticing the IV didn't change on the video feed, or the red haired guy checking to see if Tohru was ready for the field by shooting him in the face? Genuinely good writing. But it's just brief flashes in a see of disappointment.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Lyudmila's death just seemed really unnecessary. Odner did say to the security team to capture them alive if possible right? So what the hell was so threatening about an injured, unarmed girl sitting in a hospital bed that required that firepower?
chex mix

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:19 am Reply with quote
laureninspace wrote:
chex mix wrote:
Just out of curiosity, what redeeming factor(s) this episode even led to it deserving a D, not an F?

I've never given an F to anything before. Yes, the animation was poor, the music was nonexistent, the plot was unfortunate, but it was a finished product that could be watched by human eyes.

I believe an F should be reserved for something truly unwatchable. For example, I might give an F to Vampire Holmes.

Fair enough. If you do notice something redeemable about this mess though, point it out, yeah? It's just so... boring. Painfully boring.
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:37 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
AnimeAddict2014 wrote:

See, this is my main problem with this series: they throw a lot of stuff at the wall, but nothing sticks. I have no idea who you're referring to there. Confused

If someone asked me to explain the entire series, I'd be left with "alternate universe doppelgangers battle to survive being destroyed by evil alien(?) Timekeepers, but the Timekeepers are just waiting for them to destroy themselves with a sandy Dead End. And there's a little ghosty girl who keeps flying into the ointment."

Why are the soldiers all following megalomaniac Dr. O instead of whoever is supposed to be in charge of the place?

this is the old guy i'm referring to .. he died after showing up in the episode for like 2-3 minutes? (more or less)

also. the sand thing.. reminded me of Sand of Destruction series.. yes... sand is dangerous!! Laughing

TimeKeepers were created by humans.. they are from the future.. the same as the little girl.. ..in a way.. think of the terminator

i noticed the picture is broken for some odd reason after working for a few minutes

Makabe Mondo- is the character i'm referring to

*reuploaded the pic to another image hosting site

chex mix

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Have we just given up on this show altogether? Please tell me I'm not the only one still watching it... I mean... I don't want to be watching it... but I've come too far...
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:22 pm Reply with quote
right there with you. watching it, but want to be done with it so very much
laureninspace

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:39 pm Reply with quote
chex mix wrote:
Have we just given up on this show altogether? Please tell me I'm not the only one still watching it... I mean... I don't want to be watching it... but I've come too far...

Sorry, I was on vacation so I didn't write my review this week. That means next week, I'll review episodes 10 and 11 together.

When I go on vacation, I only have to notify Hope. I'll try to put a note in the forums next time, though.

We've gone this far. Let's finish strong!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:20 am Reply with quote
Episode 10

I was just waiting for the review so I wouldn't have to post twice. Smile

About my main takeaway from this episode, besides killing off the Dr. Evil twins, was the ending where they were all jumping into the timehole. Since it wasn't all that clear to me why it opened up at that particular moment, it was really bugging me how Tohru hung back so he could ruminate over everything after everyone else jumped. I just kept thinking, that thing is gonna close and you'll be stranded all alone there.

Oh, and that was about the ugliest kiss I've ever seen in animation. It was like the animators had no idea how people's faces can possibly join up like that, so they just tried to guess. Her lower lip looks like it's happy to see him...
chex mix

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:44 am Reply with quote
The date was so random and stupid... it felt like one of those dates they shoehorn into a VN adaptation when they're trying to keep all the routes.
Wildikdog

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:09 pm Reply with quote
#839001 wrote:
I think they were trying to do gray morality with Dr. Odhner, but the lack of character development makes it fail to come across right.

I saw it as 'Odhner wants to do good things for humanity with his science, but he's overconfident in his ability to not cause the very thing he's trying to avoid'. It's not a bad direction, it just needs a lot more time to work properly.

This whole anime to me is a master class in doing most things poorly, but having that one moment that makes me want to keep watching against my better judgment. The concept of Dead End? Legitimately cool sci-fi. Things like Odhner noticing the IV didn't change on the video feed, or the red haired guy checking to see if Tohru was ready for the field by shooting him in the face? Genuinely good writing. But it's just brief flashes in a see of disappointment.

That's pretty much what I've been feeling most of the time. I always thought that in their own right Odhner and the Timekeepers weren't completely bad. Odhner being morally gray, and the Timekeepers honestly thinking they were advancing humanity to the next stage of evolution, but all they do is constantly make them seem like they're not trying to do anything positive and all they do is evil to the core.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:49 pm Reply with quote
^ You're right that what they claim to be doing is positive, but their facial expressions, dialog delivery, and especially the "Ha ha haaa!" laughter when they thwart any resistance just screams EVIL. You don't laugh like a homicidal maniac if you're trying to save someone from themselves. "You were going to commit suicide, but I stopped you, ha ha haaa! So quake with fear, you tiny fools!"

I only just realized that the kill-em-all White Tohru is wearing a peace symbol button and not the Mercedes logo as shown in the OP. I guess this is Stratos' idea of irony?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3