• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: One Piece Manga Sets Guinness World Record for Copies Printed for Comic by Single Author

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OH&S

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:57 am Reply with quote
That's an amazing feat by Oda. Just when you think he's broken as many records as possible, he goes ahead and achieves a world record. I don't think this will be broken anytime soon either.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:10 am Reply with quote
That's a lot.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:15 am Reply with quote
Its Number 1 for a reason.
pikopika

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:47 am Reply with quote
Congratulations to Oda-sensei! He deserves it~
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:55 am Reply with quote
SO happy to see this when I read it this morning. One Piece has come a long way and is only going to go further. And these copies aren't just within Japan, they get sold all over the world. Oda has come a long way and his efforts while a bit over the top have reaped what has been sowed. Congrats to Oda and all the best to him for the years to come. Can't wait to see what the announcement is for next week.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:22 am Reply with quote
I find it pretty interesting that Guinness would acknowledge something like this. While setting sales records is something I'm not surprised to see One Piece do as a franchise, I am surprised to see a major western nonfiction publication acknowledge its existence.
MasterKingJC

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:09 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
I find it pretty interesting that Guinness would acknowledge something like this. While setting sales records is something I'm not surprised to see One Piece do as a franchise, I am surprised to see a major western nonfiction publication acknowledge its existence.

They wouldn't be the first.
There was that big One Piece promotion advertisement in the New York Times in 2013.
bigivel

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:45 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Even if the claim of DB selling 350 million copies worldwide is false (one fairly reliable source I've seen, Toei Europe, said that it was that much whereas Shuei-sha claims it was only 230 million), DB I believe is still #1 counting both anime sales and manga sales.

Toei Europe -> http://www.toei-animation.com/en/content/new_dragon_ball_super

Is stated as 230 million, not 350!

I don't think DB is #1 counting both anime sales and manga sales. Not only One Piece is doing an exceptional job at manga sales, but also in anime!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

maximilianjenus wrote:
how many dollars does he get paid by volume sold ?

In japan each books sells around 5 dollars. An author can get 10 to 15% in royalties.
So Oda gets around 50 to 75 cents per book!

It may seem little, but with 320 Million of book published he earned 160,000,000 dollars only in book volume sales.
He also gets money from goods, TV anime, Movies and DVD/BD sales. He is a pretty rich guy.

{Merged serial postings. ~nobahn}
Kutsu

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:33 am Reply with quote
Congratulations. But

Quote:
'through One Piece I found my sweetheart,'

That's kind of weird/sad. Confused
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:35 am Reply with quote
Why would Toei Europe exaggerate a figure from their parent company? Also, over 230 million is rather ambiguous and can include it selling 275+ million.
bigivel

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:48 am Reply with quote
Kutsu wrote:
Congratulations. But

Quote:
'through One Piece I found my sweetheart,'

That's kind of weird/sad. Confused

The translation is bad, he didn't said that(though he did met for the first time his wife when she was cosplaying as Nami), What he said was this:

"Thank you for the certificate from Guinness World Records.

Manga is just an entertainment that kills time, but I feel happy when my readers tell me that they have made friends or got a sweetheart by talking about ONE PIECE. I think this record also means ONE PIECE can tie together many people. I won't forget my gratitude to the pioneers of manga industry and readers. I would like to create a manga that truly deserves this record."

So in fact he is talking of readers saying that got girlfriends/wives by talking about ONE PIECE, not that he got his wife because of ONE PIECE.

Oda's wife as NAMI

vivacmpunker

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:57 am Reply with quote
Sir Daniel Fortesque wrote:
Wasn't it 340m world wide like a year ago?

Yes. Some Japanese sites got it wrong including Oricon, which ANN cited. This number in the article is probably in Japan only not worldwide. Recently they announced One Piece had 380 million copies published worldwide, which means about 60 million copies were published outside of Japan.
GVman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:15 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

Guinness did it before with Shotaro Ishinomori, and I feel like they did something with Go Nagai, too, but I can't quite remember.
Space☆Candy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Congrats Oda! One piece is awesome. Very Happy
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:12 pm Reply with quote
MasterKingJC wrote:
They wouldn't be the first.
There was that big One Piece promotion advertisement in the New York Times in 2013.

Did it have any effect on sales or awareness of the franchise?

GVman wrote:
Guinness did it before with Shotaro Ishinomori, and I feel like they did something with Go Nagai, too, but I can't quite remember.

Did they? What honor did Shotaro Ishinomori receive? Aside from the manga for A Link to the Past, I don't think he has any recognition in the west outside of anime and manga fans. There is the chance that there are anime and/or manga fans working in Guinness's records department though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3