• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: One Piece Manga Sets Guinness World Record for Copies Printed for Comic by Single Author

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chicolli66

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Congratulations Oda-sensei! Thanks for your hard work!
(but seriously... dont die before finish One Piece... please man)
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:26 pm Reply with quote
vivacmpunker wrote:
Sir Daniel Fortesque wrote:

Wasn't it 340m world wide like a year ago?

Yes. Some Japanese sites got it wrong including Oricon, which ANN cited. This number in the article is probably in Japan only not worldwide.

Nah, Guinness is worldwide. Guinness Book of World Records
bigivel

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Sir Daniel Fortesque wrote:

Wasn't it 340m world wide like a year ago?

vivacmpunker wrote:

Yes. Some Japanese sites got it wrong including Oricon, which ANN cited. This number in the article is probably in Japan only not worldwide.

enurtsol wrote:

Nah, Guinness is worldwide. Guinness Book of World Records

The thing is not that, but the fact that, probably, out of Japan numbers aren't reliable enough and so aren't counted by the guinnes Book of World Records.

It was officially stated in the Tokyo Tower One Piece theme park that One Piece had 320 million copies sold in Japan by that time. It makes sense that soon later it got the 866,000 copies more.
thinking that the 866,000 copies is the number in the world is ludicrous, when just in France per year a volume of One Piece sales around 100k.
mohamez

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:44 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
how many dollars does he get paid by volume sold ?

Spotlesseden wrote:

from what i read, mangaka got less than $2 per vol sold in Japan, not sure about oversea. Maybe big names get more. They also get pay per page also.
Even if Oda gets $1 per vol, he is still freaking rich.

Monster Hunter wrote:

Supposedly Oda earns about 2 billion yen or 25 million dollars in royalties from One Piece a year.

wow!! that's really huge money!! but he deserve it, One Piece is epic!!!
Sariachan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Congratulation! It's a well-deserved record for a manga that works quite well as a long story, for once. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:21 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Even if the claim of DB selling 350 million copies worldwide is false (one fairly reliable source I've seen, Toei Europe, said that it was that much whereas Shuei-sha claims it was only 230 million), DB I believe is still #1 counting both anime sales and manga sales.

DB anime sales in Japan were like 22,000 disks per volume. Though it probably has like 100 volumes, counting all series, so that totals to 2.2 million disks sold, outside of Japan if it's like another 1 million (being realistic), we have 3.2 million disks in addition to 230 million volumes of manga. Far from bridging the difference between it and One Piece.

Also, manga is mostly printed in magazines not books. In Japan manga book sales are usually ca. 500-600 million, magazines is around 1.5 billion.

Thought both DB and One Piece were published in Shonen Jump magazine whose weekly circulation was 6.5 million at the end of DB while today it is only 2.4 million. Considering this fact, in terms of magazine sales DB might still be more popular.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kutsu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:01 am Reply with quote
DB is still #1 worldwide by far in per volume sales, if that can be of any consolation. Wink
Crystalyn
ANN Managing Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:55 pm Reply with quote
bigivel wrote:
The translation is bad, he didn't said that(though he did met for the first time his wife when she was cosplaying as Nami), What he said was this:

"Thank you for the certificate from Guinness World Records.

Manga is just an entertainment that kills time, but I feel happy when my readers tell me that they have made friends or got a sweetheart by talking about ONE PIECE. I think this record also means ONE PIECE can tie together many people. I won't forget my gratitude to the pioneers of manga industry and readers. I would like to create a manga that truly deserves this record."

The translation was a bit more literal so it could have been misconstrued, but it wasn't necessarily incorrect about the friends and sweethearts bit. I edited it though to add [from readers] so it was a bit more clear.

However, for the second part, we did somehow miss the "への感謝" part of the final sentence, so thanks for that, I've updated the article to add that part in of the meaning. Thanks for pointing those out!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3