• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Kyōkai no Rinne

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Minor nitpick on the review - Takahashi's formula has been around since well before the 90's. She started writing Urusei Yatsura in the late 70's and played with the concepts and had this formula going on with Ryoga by 87-88. It's been the same ever since.

Yeah, there are definitely broad touches of UY in most of Takahashi's long-running series - more so in Ranma and Rinne than in Maison and Inuyasha, though.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 8:23 am Reply with quote
Episode #8:

Key theme of this episode:
quoting Mamiya Sakura, I wrote:
Is he stupid? Is it a trap?

And the appearance of Hell as a government building, the mention that the Hell Ministry of Health, Labour, and Welfare (along with its "recent nagging", by Rokumon's words), the slaves "workers" of Debt Hell working to get paid by-the-plate, or just after finishing a project (repairing the water pipe), they were assigned to a new one (digging for a gas pipe), and the "workers" ¥0 pay, made me think that Takahashi Rumiko is commentating on Japan's working society as a whole (and the anime one in particular).
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Hōzuki is not going to be pleased about this... Very Happy

Actually, Buddhism does have a concept of a sort of Hell, as Hōzuki no Reitetsu's theme song made clear. It's a bit different from the Christian version though.

Also, Hell Money is a thing. Smile
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Also, Hell Money is a thing. Smile

Speaking of which, did anyone else notice that the Hell currency featured in the series bears the likeness of Kotatsu Neko? (Unless he only graces the counterfeit bills.)

For my money, this was the funniest episode to date. I know this isn't the first series to portray Hell as a well-oiled bureaucracy, but the jokes were juuuuust original enough to keep me laughing. I also thought this one featured some genuinely funny character moments for both Sakura and Rinne
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:00 am Reply with quote
I think episode 9 wasn't that great, but it was still fun. What I did find interesting is how they combined 1 chapter from volume 9 (with the wig) and then 2 other chapters way back in volume 3. That was well done.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jex2193

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Kappei Yamaguchi once again comes in as the star of the show.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:09 am Reply with quote
Say what you will about Sabato, but he's still a better dad than Genma Saotome.
Nyaomix

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Have to disagree. Genma is occasionally around to help out his son and does train with him often, Sabato is completely not there outside of stealing his money. Maybe there is somethingabout Sabato i don`t know yet, but so far he`s much worse.
chex mix

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:01 pm Reply with quote
He seems like he'll end up being the Sesshomaru.

It's time for at least one other character to get at least one other character trait besides "nonplussed" or "aggro" (Tsubasa). However, this world is so soothing, with the art, drawing, and characters in it, that I could probably float along in it forever and be cool. Seriously, if my husband watched anime I might put this show on next time he had a panic attack just to see what happened. Laughing
vanfanel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:47 am Reply with quote
Finally caught up with this, and am really enjoying it. I think my favorite Sabato moment was a little one, where he expressed brief annoyance about Rinne not have any furniture he could sell.

The thing about Takahashi is, you see her trot out a gag, and think "yeah, but how far can she really run with this?" and then the answer usually surprises.

This is going to be a nice comfort food show, and I hope it has a good long run.
tintor2

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:17 pm Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:
Finally caught up with this, and am really enjoying it. I think my favorite Sabato moment was a little one, where he expressed brief annoyance about Rinne not have any furniture he could sell.

I think my favorite is from the preview episode when he yells "Mom is already dead!" with a microphone as if he were in a karaoke. This father is probably one of the funniest and horrible ones animes have created.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Episode 11
Quote:
Though Rinne's dad is just awful, I couldn't help thinking “like father, like son,” when Dad took physical damage after giving up some of his cash. After all, every time we watch the opening sequence, we see Rinne crying tears of blood when a coin slips through his fingers.

But that doesn't make him like his father at all. Dad steals and cons his way into money, which he lets run through his fingers like water to pay for things he doesn't need. Rinne hoards money because his father has been stealing every penny he's ever gotten his entire life in exchange for empty promises, leaving him nothing to survive on. I'd cry tears of blood over losing a coin too, if I'd lived like that all my life. At least he's got Shippo Rokumon to steal things back for him. Very Happy
Wyvern

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:13 am Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:
Quote:
Minor nitpick on the review - Takahashi's formula has been around since well before the 90's. She started writing Urusei Yatsura in the late 70's and played with the concepts and had this formula going on with Ryoga by 87-88. It's been the same ever since.

Yeah, there are definitely broad touches of UY in most of Takahashi's long-running series - more so in Ranma and Rinne than in Maison and Inuyasha, though.

True, but the one thread that runs in ALL those series is the trope of a couple who can't seem to get together because one or both of them is too stubborn to admit they're in love.

So yeah, if someone doesn't like that trope, they're not going to enjoy a Takahashi series in the long run. spoiler[In MI and Inuyasha, we get to see the central couple get together at the very end, but the leads of Ranma and UY NEVER officially get together, not even in the very last installment.]

Reading/watching Takahashi and expecting the romance to develop is like watching a Road Runner cartoon and thinking "the Coyote is sure to catch him this time!"
vanfanel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:06 am Reply with quote
Episode 11 took me back to the Ranma days for a bit, which was rather nice.

Incidentally, the Japanese expression "saba wo yomu" (鯖を読む - "reading the mackerel") means "to manipulate numbers for one's own convenience."

I doubt it's coincidence that Sabato's name is written as 鯖人 -- literally, "mackerel man."

Wyvern wrote:
Reading/watching Takahashi and expecting the romance to develop is like watching a Road Runner cartoon and thinking "the Coyote is sure to catch him this time!"

Very nicely put Very Happy

Back when Ranma was the big thing on Usenet, we sure sat hopefully through a lot of Acme dynamitings, though.
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:16 am Reply with quote
I loved both episodes 10 and 11. The anime did a great job adapting the manga chapters and for now these are my favorite episodes of the series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5