• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why Sailor Moon Crystal Isn't a Total Disaster

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:52 am Reply with quote
Ikuko Itoh also worked on Sailor Moon S, here's an example of a Laserdisc cover she did: http://sp8.fotolog.com/photo/8/0/55/moonlight_phase/1227478657121_f.jpg

This is also from episode 124: http://www.animated-divots.net/images/sail-moon3-2.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Look how crappy this crying Luna-P animation is; the "tears" look like things that were just stuck to the ball's eyes...
http://38.media.tumblr.com/fd5913c8e6a3602118485b2f3e206dbe/tumblr_inline_nq3vdcJCQV1qgl6qf_500.gif

At least it's cute.

{Merged serial posts. ~nobahn}
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:19 pm Reply with quote
If there's one thing that Sailor Moon Crystal had, it's that it made me more grateful of the differing characteristic the Sailor Guardians had in the 1990's version.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:44 am Reply with quote
I agree with you. The 90's Inner Senshi are more like actual characters, and I actually feel like I know them as people or friends you'd be with.

I'm also worried that if we get to the Infinity arc and Sailors Uranus and Neptune show up, they will also be neutered down, and if that happens, this is what a lot of fans will be like: Evil or Very Mad
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:16 am Reply with quote
Sailor Sedna wrote:
I'm also worried that if we get to the Infinity arc and Sailors Uranus and Neptune show up, they will also be neutered down, and if that happens, this is what a lot of fans will be like: Evil or Very Mad

Plus, who knows if their same-sex relations to each other will be as compelling in SMC as it was in the 1990's version of Sailor Moon?
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
Plus, who knows if their same-sex relations to each other will be as compelling in SMC as it was in the 1990's version of Sailor Moon?

Let's forget for a moment that there will be no more SMC; the simple truth is that shōjo-ai is not a sales magnet, neither for late night anime nor for mainstream anime, so it would not save SMC from its disastrous TV ratings.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:33 am Reply with quote
I dunno if this is realted, but I've heard that some fans (not pointing fingers) say only the manga is canon and everything else isn't...I think that's ridiculous; every version of Sailor Moon has its own canon, doesn't it? Anime dazed
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Sailor Sedna wrote:
I agree with you. The 90's Inner Senshi are more like actual characters, and I actually feel like I know them as people or friends you'd be with.

that there wont be an issue at all. this series after all is supposed to be completely faithful towards the manga version. besides any changes would probably have to be approved by the author and i really doubt she will change the relationship between those two if they want to keep crystal faithful towards the manga.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:44 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:

Let's forget for a moment that there will be no more SMC; the simple truth is that shōjo-ai is not a sales magnet, neither for late night anime nor for mainstream anime, so it would not save SMC from its disastrous TV ratings.

Shōjo-ai? What do you mean by that?

The 90's Sailor Moon one, if it was one, was definitely a sales magnet back then.

UPDATE: No, never mind; I understand, Sailor Moon Crystal would not work it it aired late at night (kinda sounds similar to how when dubbed Sailor Moon first aired here, it was broadcast in time slots too early in the morning or afternoon for viewers, no Saturday morning slot). For mainstreaming though, just stream the original anime I say! If they can do it with Saint Seiya (they're actually streaming that), why not Sailor Moon?

And I will kinda agree; if the original anime and Crystal air at the same time, then the latter would most likely crash and burn.

Last edited by Sailor Sedna on Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:45 pm Reply with quote
@jr0904

But Crystal, the first arc at least, isn't really that faithful to the manga at all. Sad

------------------------------------------------------------------------

@Mr. Oshawott

I agree...

{Merged serial postings. ~nobahn}
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Sailor Sedna wrote:
mangamuscle wrote:

Shōjo-ai? What do you mean by that?

It's another term for yuri (f/f relationships).
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:33 am Reply with quote
Thanks Very Happy
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:05 pm Reply with quote
I know this article is 2 months old, but I just found out that the director, Munehisa Sakai, just left Toei. I dunno why though...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9