• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Yuki Yuna is a Hero [Collector's Edition + CD] BD+DVD 2

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mgosdin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:08 am Reply with quote
I'm glad for the folks that have money for this, but it still makes me sad to think that PonyCan's US representative says they have no interest in every releasing affordable versions of their series. Crying or Very sad

I'm sorry but I can't really wish them well in their venture here in North America.

Mark Gosdin
Pokenatic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:49 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The saga of Yuki Yuna continues in volume 2 of Pony Canyon's limited edition release.

Quote:
limited edition

Aren't these sets here to stay since Pony Canyon said that they won't be releasing standard edition sets? (consequently, wouldn't that just make these their standard editions?)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TheMorry

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:25 am Reply with quote
mgosdin wrote:
I'm glad for the folks that have money for this, but it still makes me sad to think that PonyCan's US representative says they have no interest in every releasing affordable versions of their series. Crying or Very sad

I'm sorry but I can't really wish them well in their venture here in North America.

Mark Gosdin

I doubt they gonna make it with that attitude in the USA. Its al great they delivering high quality dubs. But this is not Japan. I wonder if a European company gonna bring it to Europe and give it a reasonable price. Here in Europe we pay most of the time way less then you guys in USA.
mgosdin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:31 am Reply with quote
TheMorry wrote:
I wonder if a European company gonna bring it to Europe and give it a reasonable price. Here in Europe we pay most of the time way less then you guys in USA.

Morry, I'm ready for that eventuality. I already have a history of importing videos from Amazon.uk and have the required players. So it isn't a problem.

Mark Gosdin
WingKing

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:09 am Reply with quote
Setting aside the pricing issues, I agree pretty much 100% with Theron's thoughts on the series itself here. I feel like episodes 6 and 7 in particular are among the episodes in this series that benefit the most from a second viewing, because they're so packed with great character moments and foreshadowing that are easy to miss if all you're focused on is "what happens next?" Like spoiler[Yuna and Togo's early morning conversation] in episode 7 hardly registered with me the first time I watched it, but the second time...wow. Episodes 5 and 8, on the other hand, are high points no matter if it's your first viewing or your fifth. The day episode 5 premiered was the day that I completely fell in love with this series.

My only slight disagreement with Theron is that the soundtrack is one of my favorite things about Yuki Yuna (I even imported the OST CD), so obviously I'd grade that higher than a B+. But that's no big deal, since music is such a personal thing and hits us all in different ways.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:26 pm Reply with quote
I'll live with the pricing, since the series got a great dub. I already buy Aniplex stuff anyway. My only gripe is the case. I can't shelf this anywhere. The only place, besides laying them sideways somewhere, is on top of my shelf, where they can stand upright, just under 6 inches from the ceiling...
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Anyone know how PonyCan is doing with their US releases? They definitely aren't the first to charge such high prices for their releases, but they seem to be doing it with series that don't have as much popularity as other high cost titles like Madoka or Kill La Kill.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:20 pm Reply with quote
From what I understand, Limited Edition does not mean the same thing it does in Japan as in the rest of the world. In Japan, Limited Edition means the same thing as Special Edition/Collector Edition somewhere else. You can still buy a LE of the Nanoha Movies, for example. What Japan has that does run out are called First-Print Edition, and those usually have some bonus item that you really can't get anyone once the FPE runs out. Hope this helps.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Pony Canyon calls it a Limited Edition so that's what we call it.

If they release one and call it the Zac Bertschy is an Enormous Butthead Edition, we'll call it that in the review.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

If they release one and call it the Zac Bertschy is an Enormous Butthead Edition, we'll call it that in the review.

I'd even pay Aniplex collector's edition prices for that special edition lol. Wink
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

Hahaha, oh man, it'd be worth getting fired for having approved it for that moment. (I say that as someone who hasn't worked in the anime industry and has no interest in marketing)
nechronius

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

I'd buy that for a dollar. Perhaps even, much like freedom, for a buck o' five.
Crisha

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

Laughing

And all the trendy ANNsters would be pre-ordering their zBEBEs first day, sight unseen. They'd be rocking their Gendo Ikari glasses, pushing them up with their middle and forefinger as they're clicking that PAY button with their white-gloved hands (necessary to wear in order to prevent screen smudging of their custom-made cell phones that look like Angel faces). Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Paulo27

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Pokenatic wrote:
Quote:
The saga of Yuki Yuna continues in volume 2 of Pony Canyon's limited edition release.

Quote:
limited edition

Aren't these sets here to stay since Pony Canyon said that they won't be releasing standard edition sets? (consequently, wouldn't that just make these their standard editions?)
Sounds fancier.

And yeah, it's a shame it's so pricey and they certainly aren't helping the industry with this because I can imagine someone thinking of bringing a series to the West thinking "hm... Pony Canyon released high quality products and no one was buying them, why should we bother?" and that whole "let's try to rip them off and if it doesn't work it obviously means they don't want our business so we should give up on the West" mentality which sets a bad example, such is life of an anime fan.
Pokenatic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Paulo27 wrote:
And yeah, it's a shame it's so pricey and they certainly aren't helping the industry with this because I can imagine someone thinking of bringing a series to the West thinking "hm... Pony Canyon released high quality products and no one was buying them, why should we bother?" and that whole "let's try to rip them off and if it doesn't work it obviously means they don't want our business so we should give up on the West" mentality which sets a bad example, such is life of an anime fan.

Well, Aniplex seems to be doing well here so the other companies won't be fully convinced it's a waste of time if Pony Canyon fails. They'll just know that what Pony Canyon tried isn't the way to go. (besides, Aniplex is the bigger of the two companies anyways)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2