• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
House of 1000 Manga - Kekkaishi

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EternalAbyss

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:46 am Reply with quote
I absolutely loved this manga when I was reading it years ago on some scans team called the A-team or something like that. They did some really good translations and I read all of the 35 volumes in pretty much 2 days. But I enjoyed its unique aspect on different kinds of magic and arts that I really didn't see much of at the time. It did have its tropes but I think the world and its characters out weight them.
Keyl

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:54 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
I never read the manga but I remember the anime being hot garbage of the worst sort. It arrived on Adult Swim, the last place something so safe and generic should have been, proceeded to stink up the block for months, and offered nothing, nothing of value. When Toonami picked up Soul Eater after the relaunch it almost felt like an apology for this thing.

eh, It was actually pretty good. Sunrise makes pretty good shonen anime and Kenji Kodama, who did City Hunters and Hiroshi Ohnogi, who later did series composition for great series like Birdy Mighty Decode and FMA: B. Also great orchestral soundtrack from Iwasaki Taku.

The manga is pretty great too. The best thing about the manga is the smart fights Yellow Tanabe is able to make because of the simple powers that Yoshimori and Yokine has. Also she really knows how to design characters.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:35 am Reply with quote
The anime was terrible though. It was slow and boring and yes, the initial "straight out of nowhere" pickup did not endear itself to people. But even after that, it did nothing to counter the negative assessment people had been all-too-willing to give it.
torchic91

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:43 pm Reply with quote
I remember really enjoying the manga growing up. I first heard of it from an anonymous recommendation from an old forum of my local library system when I was in high school and eager to devour any anime or manga I could get my hands on. Now I should go back and finish the series...
EyeOfPain

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:26 pm Reply with quote
After the first few episodes aired on Adult Swim, I quickly wrote the show off as a generic shounen in the vein of InuYasha. Now, I kind of regret that decision, and wouldn't mind giving it a second chance after all this time.
toyNN

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:14 pm Reply with quote
I should really catch up on the manga - loved the anime series but watched in several years back when it was on Hulu. Remember I had to watch the last 20 episodes in one day as its license was expiring at midnight and about to be pulled off of hulu. Needless to say I don't recall much of the final episodes unfortunately.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:11 am Reply with quote
I really liked the anime. The beginning is pretty standard stuff but, had enough that stuck with it and am glad I did. It then gets really good when Gen comes into the picture. It around this time when the world really opens up and gets even better when I continued in the manga.

It's fascinating how the series turns into a show with lots of side switching, mind games all mixed with wonderful artwork and mythos. It is one of my favorites series.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Gasero wrote:
Kekkaishi has a lot of endearing qualities. Despite having many shonen tropes on the surface, there is a lot to the plot that doesn't ride those tropes as the story develops.

I liked that the magical powers were unique and not typical elemental magic. There were a lot of creative battles with the boxes.

I still hope that the rest of the series is animated. I would like to see it all in motion.

highly doubt it. for one thing it didn't do as well in the viewer ratings over there, and it wasnt any better when it showed on adult swim i'm afraid that the anime version have unfortunately suffered the same fate as other anime series like claymore and vampire knight where your forced to read the manga to continue with the story which kinda sucks cause it is a good series which of course gen being everyone's favorite.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:31 pm Reply with quote
I saw "Kekkaishi" and I liked it. One of their best episodes was a ghost cat that was hanging around the lead character's teacher. I won't say how it ended but it was a real sweet episode. In the manga,they had an American character in there with a small amount of power. I hope one day,they do another anime version of this series. It's pretty good.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:43 pm Reply with quote
The series looks interesting so I ordered the first couple of volumes in omnibus version.
Brutannica

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the great review, Jason. This is one of my favorite anime/manga, but it can sometimes be hard for me to explain what makes it so great. This does so very well.

The only big omission is discussing the Yoshimori/Tokine relationship, which is simply adorable. It's probably the biggest part of what makes this series tick for me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2