• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Identifying this K-ON! Item

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amagee

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:02 am Reply with quote
I have just seen this item listed on Mandarake -

English Page: http://ekizo.mandarake.co.jp/auction/item/itemInfoEn.html?index=307984

Japanese Page: http://ekizo.mandarake.co.jp/auction/item/itemInfoJa.html?index=307984

and I cannot find any information about what it is. It appears to be a special edition, K-ON! cel inside an album cover (maybe) but I'm not sure. I'd love to know if anyone has any clues about what this is exactly.
potatochobit

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:46 pm Reply with quote
I dont know about this specific item

but it is very common for anime cels to be framed like pictures or put in memorial books.
however, if you were thinking it is an original anime cel from the animation it most like is not and is a reproduction.

kyoto animation has a little store and they typically sell stuff similar
here are some trading cards

alot of people think kyoani does their work by hand so it is better quality but that does not mean they are drawing on anime cels they still use modern computer programs.

this could have been a lottery prize though, i don't know.
there are many k-on lucky prize drawings.
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:10 pm Reply with quote
The closest you can get to a cel these days is the drawing before it's scanned(assuming they still use paper for this part); in any event, an actual cel wouldn't have the background(part of the point), since the final compositing wasn't truly done until it was photographed to film(cels would then be switched out as needed for the next frame).
amagee

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:39 pm Reply with quote
I was finally able to find out at least something. It appears to have been a special edition, hand-painted cel of an "iconic pose" of a character from K-ON! that the Kyoto Animation store sold on a limited basis for different characters. This is the best I have been able to garner from some Google-translated blog posts folks sent me links to.

I am fully aware that cels are not utilized for animation anymore. I collect cels and I like K-ON! so I was merely intrigued when I found this listed as a "cel album" without much in the way of a description.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:00 am Reply with quote
Reproduction cells are sometimes made for digital anime. There's a specific name that I'm having trouble remembering now. Found it: Rileizu.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1