• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: 'Rev. from DVL' Idol Kanna Hashimoto Headlines Sailor Suit and Machine Gun Remake

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:23 pm Reply with quote
I am only familiar with the tv series, it felt weird kind of uneventful, I guess it works better as a film.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:35 pm Reply with quote
I excitedly anticipate another film made on a shoestring by a guy with a handheld & starring idols & actors whose range extends from delayed reaction to exaggerated expression, maybe with some 3D Movie Maker CGI for good measure. Japanese cinema Number One!
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Moar remakes!
mrsatan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:41 pm Reply with quote
I saw the original movie a long time ago. IIRC, it's not as extreme as the title sounds. She was more or less a regular schoolgirl suddenly thrust into an adult leadership role. She didn't get the gun until the end of the movie.
An actress portraying the character wouldn't need to be extraordinarily tough or martial arts trained. She would need to be able to act, though.
binOsbi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:50 pm Reply with quote
3 more years yo. she's gonna be like the japanese emma watson.
hyojodoji

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:57 am Reply with quote
Carlos Cadorniga wrote:
'Rev. from DVL' Idol Kanna Hashimoto Headlines Sailor Suit and Machine Gun Remake...Jiro Akagawa, the author of the 1978 Japanese novel on which the films are based, ...[Via Hachima Kikō]

I have read the Sailor Suit and Machine Gun novel in the original and have watched the Sailor Suit and Machine Gun (1981) film.
Actually, the 2016 film in question is a movie adaptaion of the novel Sailor Suit and Machine Gun: After That -Graduation-, whilst the 1981 film is a movie adaptaion of the novel Sailor Suit and Machine Gun. Sailor Suit and Machine Gun: After That -Graduation- is a sequel to Sailor Suit and Machine Gun.
Mr Cadorniga said, 'Via Hachima Kikō,' but the Hachima Kikō's webpage about the 2016 film has the 'Reactions to this subject' section and it clearly says, 'リメイクじゃなく、続編の「卒業」' (Not a remake. Graduation, a sequel).

Carlos Cadorniga wrote:
The original film is about a delinquent schoolgirl who inherits her murdered father's yakuza clan.

Actually, the heroine Hoshi Izumi is an ordinary middle-class girl.
In the early part of Sailor Suit and Machine Gun, the author Akagawa Jirō has put a scene where Izumi does not even know a rudimentary argot word which she would know if she were a delinquent girl. It obviously indicates that she is not a delinquent girl.
In Sailor Suit and Machine Gun, the point of the story device is that X (an ordinary middle-class girl) becomes Y (the boss of a yakuza clan). The important thing is the distance between X and Y. If X were a delinquent girl, the distance between X and Y would be short and the story device would work far less effectively.
As to '...her murdered father's yakuza clan,' to put it more precisely, Izumi's father was an ordinary businessman. The person who was the boss of the yakuza clan was an uncle of Izumi's father's. The boss wanted to have Izumi's father inherit the yakuza clan in vain, and Izumi's turn has come. spoiler[Izumi's father died, but in reality it is not a murder. 'He was murdered' is a lie which a crooked police detective told.]

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1