• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The Familiar of Zero Light Novels to Continue After Author's Passing

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheMorry

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Is the LN series much diffrent than the anime? And is the ending of the anime diffrent then the one in the LN?
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:50 pm Reply with quote
hurafloyd wrote:
I don't know why but I feel the ending will be shit... kinda like Christopher Tolkien doing whatever he wanted with his father's story kind of shit.

Christopher Tolkien did things right -- he took all his father's manuscripts for the Silmarillion and pieced them together into a coherent whole for casual fans, then he compiled the various drafts (and related manuscripts) into collections so hardcore fans could see how the story developed over time, and judge whether the published Silmarillion really reflects JRR's vision.

The better comparison would be Brian Herbert and the horrible Dune prequels he's come up with, or Brandon Sanderson finishing The Wheel of Time after Robert Jordan died.
VanGosroth

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Great news. Just finished watching the final season and while I'm happy with that ending more would be appreciated.

My only hope is that they do a proper job releasing the story as intended and ending it rather than DBZing the storyline to sell more copies.
Botan_TM

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:58 pm Reply with quote
TheMorry wrote:
Is the LN series much diffrent than the anime? And is the ending of the anime diffrent then the one in the LN?

Depends, they mostly cut of politic/war/dramatic themes + add more fanservice. That's for season 1-3
spoiler[for example there is no Louise suicidal attempt or scene with her over Saito grave]

Season 4 butchered plot, and because series unfinished, LN have no ending yet, for sure dragon was only in anime, main problem in novel is completely different.
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Would be nice if there's anime OVAs version called The Familiar of Zero - 'True End'. Please correct me if I'm wrong about this since I hasn't watch the 4th season yet.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:26 pm Reply with quote
This is great; maybe the translations will start up again too!

...yeah right ;_;

Though now that the series is ending, will Saito finally commit to the girl he claims to love, or dump her for superior Henrietta?
TheMorry

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Botan_TM wrote:
TheMorry wrote:

Depends, they mostly cut of politic/war/dramatic themes + add more fanservice. That's for season 1-3
spoiler[for example there is no Louise suicidal attempt or scene with her over Saito grave]

Season 4 butchered plot, and because series unfinished, LN have no ending yet, for sure dragon was only in anime, main problem in novel is completely different.
So every fan should read the LN if you loved the anime series alot? Familiar of Zero is one of my most favorite lol.

How is the manga Vs Anime & LN? Does the manga follow the anime or LN?
Botan_TM

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:33 pm Reply with quote
TheMorry wrote:
So every fan should read the LN if you loved the anime series alot? Familiar of Zero is one of my most favorite lol.

Should? I would rather say "have to". Do you remember laptop he dropped in first episode?

He didn't, and it was important to plot at some point.

FilthyCasual wrote:
This is great; maybe the translations will start up again too!

It have started again already Smile
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Isn't the anime significantly different. From what I hear in the LN saito was not both the gandalf and the heart, the heart was a separate individual and I hear it was saito's brother of all people. there are some other major changes that I heard about as well, but not having read the lns I can't confirm.
kh_gal

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:44 pm Reply with quote
With this exciting news, I wish someone would license the novels so we could have the true story in its completion. I enjoyed the anime but only season 1 + 2 covered the novels. It's a shame as the novels were much, much better. It's definitely a B series in terms of grading instead of a C one if the anime had followed the novels all the way through.

Looking at you Seven Seas. Or Yen Press.
Ali07

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
I'm still sad that the author passed away. Good news for the LN fans about this news though.

Agreed. Now, the fans will have some idea of what was planned for the ending. Of course, it will not be exactly how the original author would do it, as I'm sure some minor plot points may be different due to having to fill in some parts of the story.

While I would love to be able to read the novels, legally...I'm just happy that, over the last year or so, Sentai and Hanabee (Australian licensor) have been releasing the anime. I'm just waiting to see when/if Hanabee release F. But, I can always get it from Sentai if they don't.

I was waiting awhile to see someone finally release the final season of the anime.
theNightster

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:31 pm Reply with quote
methedemon wrote:
This is great news. I want anime adaptions of them too.

anime adaptation isn't happening, because the anime had it's own ending from what I hear
VanGosroth

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:02 pm Reply with quote
theNightster wrote:
methedemon wrote:

anime adaptation isn't happening, because the anime had it's own ending from what I hear

The ending of the anime wasn't really an ending to the entire story.. just a conclusion to just a small part of it. If needed it could be easily worked around.

To warrant a decent anime season though they'll probably need 4-6 novels worth of material. I have not read the LN at all so I'm not sure how close to the end it was.

I'll be happy with some OVA's. Let's not get greedy Razz
Calsolum

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
According to MF Bunko J, he dictated the remaining plot of the series, including its ending, from his sickbed and entrusted it to the editors.

really?

idk man 2 years later they only just announced this. i mean if this were true what was stopping them from saying say a month after he passed away(a serious question as i'm no expert in the publication business). Sounds to me like they only just or recently thought about continuing the series due to consistent fan mail after 2 years since that would equate to demand. If they had instantly announced that they'd continue it with another author it would be a gamble since they wouldnt know if people would still want to buy the product.

If my line of thought is right then while I'm glad theyre going to finsih the series the premise is that money and not dedication to the fans or the author is what was the deciding factor.

Its a logical decision... but it just feels dirty.
Shradow

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:06 am Reply with quote
theNightster wrote:
methedemon wrote:

They could just do like what Black Butler did with Book of Circus/Murder and ignore the anime-only stuff.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3