• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hayao Miyazaki Gives 300 Million Yen to Build Kids' Area in Park

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
c933103

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:18 pm Reply with quote
...that town's population is around 8k and it take 3+ hours to travel from nearest city to the island where this town located at by ship...I wonder can those facility be fully utilized.
manapear

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:12 pm Reply with quote
I was just thinking earlier that it would be nice if Miyazaki did something nice on/for Okinawa. In general, this is nice news. I hope the facility is utilized as planned.
ChrissyC

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:21 am Reply with quote
Wow! How nice of Miyazaki! He has funded a lot of money into the production of this park.

And, on the side he drew concept work.

I think it's awesome that they are going to be regularly using peoples input to improve visitors experience.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:24 am Reply with quote
There's most likely more children on Okinawa then in most of several villages on Honshu. Miyazaki-san is no fool. I'm sure he's determined well before blowing that much of his money on a playground that there would be actually kids alive and living near by to play on it. Wink On another note I wonder how Goro feels about Daddy spending away basically his inheritance. Wink
albanian

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:46 am Reply with quote
c933103 wrote:
...that town's population is around 8k and it take 3+ hours to travel from nearest city to the island where this town located at by ship...I wonder can those facility be fully utilized.

This isn't a national park - it's a local play facility. 10,000 square metres is less than a couple of football pitches in size. And the article suggests that this isn't meant to attract long-distance tourists, but is primarily for families displaced and relocated from Fukushima. It's a great gesture, and I hope it succeeds.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:07 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
There's most likely more children on Okinawa then in most of several villages on Honshu. Miyazaki-san is no fool. I'm sure he's determined well before blowing that much of his money on a playground that there would be actually kids alive and living near by to play on it. Wink On another note I wonder how Goro feels about Daddy spending away basically his inheritance. Wink

I guess Miyazaki has way more than that amoung of money though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Man Miyazaki-san's got "bank". I think that would be a nice tourist attraction. Though I wonder how large this park is going to be considering Japan does have a space issue. Or maybe it doesn't.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
Man Miyazaki-san's got "bank". I think that would be a nice tourist attraction. Though I wonder how large this park is going to be considering Japan does have a space issue. Or maybe it doesn't.
This is on the small southern island of Okinawa. and going by that drawing unless some kind of sign is erected stating so I doubt any non-indigenous visitor would know about this playground's significance with Miyazaki-san.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1