• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Disappearance of Nagato Yuki chan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:10 pm Reply with quote
I would have thought Yuki would have been upset, finishing Inherit the Stars, which is book 1 of a pretty decent trilogy and then having to leave.
I always liked the first three of the Giant's Series by James P. Hogan.

In the original series, Yuki was reading Hyperion, another first book of a sci-fi trilogy that enjoyed a lot.
Hyperdrve

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:59 am Reply with quote
Nagato finally did it.

Hyped about Haruhi next episode.
Manwards

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:58 am Reply with quote
Gewürtztraminer wrote:
In the original series, Yuki was reading Hyperion, another first book of a sci-fi trilogy that enjoyed a lot.

She took Hyperion off the shelf in this episode, too! It even had the same cover as the one KyoAni used. Fantastic books, all four of them, and thematically relevant too. The Data Overmind (as the English-translated light novels term it) is quite clearly modelled after Simmons' AI TechnoCore.
myskaros

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:01 pm Reply with quote
So we're getting an irregular 16 episodes? Didn't want to commit to 2 full seasons? No Sasaki Sad
Hyperdrve

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:21 pm Reply with quote
"Aliens, people from future, and people with supernatural powers. If you're out there, come see me."

"I wanna play with UMA (Unidentified Mysterious Animals)."

Haruhi never disappoints.

spoiler[Lmao at Asakura's confused face when Kyon was acting hesitant with Yuki.]

Also, I thought this episode actually covered a lot of ground, but then again this spinoff is supposed to be about this alternate-world Yuki Nagato. I haven't read the novel so I don't know what to expect from the plot.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:51 am Reply with quote
Hyperdrve wrote:

This version of Haruhi seems to be much more honest with herself with regards to her nascent feelings for Kyon. Unless I read it wrong she is a more than a bit disappointed that John Smith doesn't remember her.

That was an interesting bit of reveal from the "other" Nagato: spoiler[this world is but a dream as well.] It would seem the writers have not tired of messing with us at all.
Green Luthor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Okay, so this is probably going to seem like a really stupid question, but it's something I haven't quite been able to piece together.

Who, exactly, are the members of the Literature Club?

Obviously, there's Yuki, Kyon, and Asakura. That's three. But didn't Yuki need to get up to five members to keep the club active? So who were the other two members? By the time the series starts, they've already saved the club, so they had to have the five then, right? But no one else in the main cast can be one of the other two members.

Mikuru and Tsuruya are both in the Calligraphy Club, and they've never met Yuki or Asakura prior to the start of the series. They had met Kyon once, briefly, but even at that point Kyon's thought dialogue indicated they already had the necessary members. So it really can't be either of them; even if Kyon had gotten them to sign up, Yuki and Asakura should have met them earlier.

Haruhi and Koizumi also don't fit; they don't go the same school, and Koizumi doesn't meet anyone other than Haruhi before the series. Kyon met Haruhi briefly, years before, and doesn't remember it, and Yuki met her (again, briefly) once before deciding to try to save the club, but neither one really knows her until they meet during the series (again, after the club is already saved).

So who did they get to fill out the roster to five, and why are they never seen or mentioned?

(Told you it was a stupid question. But it's kind of been bugging me. Am I missing something, or is there an explanation in the manga? Or am I just thinking about this more than I should?)
SaiyamanMS

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Green Luthor wrote:
So who did they get to fill out the roster to five, and why are they never seen or mentioned?

(Told you it was a stupid question. But it's kind of been bugging me. Am I missing something, or is there an explanation in the manga? Or am I just thinking about this more than I should?)

Chapter 7 of the manga (which was covered in episode 2) had a line where Kyon said he'd sign Kunikida and Taniguchi up as ghost members of the club. This line was cut from the anime though.
GregoriusU

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:06 pm Reply with quote
[quote="HaruhiToy"]
Hyperdrve wrote:

Quote:
This version of Haruhi seems to be much more honest with herself with regards to her nascent feelings for Kyon. Unless I read it wrong she is a more than a bit disappointed that John Smith doesn't remember her.

Despite her willingness to go into manic Suzumiyan hyperdrive, Haruhi seems to be one of the more mature characters in "Disappearance", if not the most. She's not dependent on anyone else (except for liking to have company on her adventures) and doesn't need a consensus for permission to do things, and although she is still goddess-like in her ability to get things done, she does so in the human sphere. At the same time, she is cognizant of and makes allowance for other people's feelings. LOL she's the kind of girl I would have liked for a friend back in high school!
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Ep 15:

Damn all those girls looked pretty good in their beachwear. Haruhi in particular got some good fashion advice. I'm glad that they did it but didn't overdo it with the fan service. I would say they didn't really have to do the split-screen shots but whatever. Now that it is over with we probably won't see anything like it again which is fine by me.

I had hoped that they wouldn't indulge in all the bashful maneuverings on the part of Nagato and Kyon. It just seems so uncreative at this point. Hopefully it won't go on too much longer.
Green Luthor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:56 pm Reply with quote
SaiyamanMS wrote:
Green Luthor wrote:

Chapter 7 of the manga (which was covered in episode 2) had a line where Kyon said he'd sign Kunikida and Taniguchi up as ghost members of the club. This line was cut from the anime though.

Ah, that makes sense. I had thought Kyon might have roped them into being the additional members, but I also figured that if they were members, they'd probably hang out in the club room or attend the Christmas dinner. (Taniguchi, in particular, would hang around just to ogle Asakura and/or Yuki, and later Mikuru and Tsuruya.) (Although he'd probably stop once Haruhi showed up...) But if Kyon signed them up without them knowing about it, that would explain it. (Guess I'll have to get around to reading the manga.)

Thanks!
ParaSitius

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:55 pm Reply with quote
So, the total non-event of a last episode has occurred.

I do hate it when stories end like this without any kind of resolution.

I so wanted this show to succeed but all it did in the end was frustrate.

Off to watch the last episode of Angel Beats again to cheer myself up.

<edit>

Actually, one thing that I really did like was the music used during the disappearance arc so I'm hoping an OST will be released that contains this music in the near future.
chito895

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:29 pm Reply with quote
My dreams of seeing Nagato and Kyon hugging after the long awaited confession were shattered after this crappy last episode. To be honest, I was expecting that to happen since the moment I saw the title of episode 16.

Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun did the "confession not heard because of the fireworks" way better than these series. At least Gekkan Shoujo can be rewatched thanks to the amazing comedy it has, but Nagato Yuki-chan... I'm happy that I will save 50 dollars as this show totally not shelf-worthy.

I have a question: Is the manga finished or is still ongoing? Because I've started reading it and I don't want to spend my money to read again that crappy ending.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:44 pm Reply with quote
^ Still ongoing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Raebo101

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:28 pm Reply with quote
So basically, after episode 13... nothing happens? Cool.
Not like I expected anything substancial to come out of the Disappearance Arc anyway. I guess, when the dub of episode 13 is released (because NOSTALGIA), I'll watch up to that point. No real point in watching anything after that.
Neutral
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6